That was a sad way to quit For Daniel Dubois

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by truth_teller, Nov 28, 2020.

1. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    It was hardly Cotto-Margarito. Joyce hit him basically only with jabs. Dubois couldn't slip them effectively. And Dubois threw and landed his power shots, but they didn't stop Joyce.

So that was that. Dubois quit. That's all.

He didn't think he could win anymore. He looked like he whispered to his trainer before the last round like he wanted his trainer to stop it. Instead, his trainer told him to fight on. The trainer obviously thought he could go on. So, when the first hard jab Joyce hit him with after the bell rang landed, Dubois took a knee. He knew where he was. He just wanted to quit.

People fight on with broken hands, broken jaws, torn biceps ... injuries that require surgeries to repair.

Dubois quit because his eye was swollen up. Yes, getting punched with the same punch in the same place for a half hour hurts damn bad. But he wasn't knocked out. No doctor stopped it. His trainer didn't even want to stop it.

Dubois quit. It is what it is.

Sure, he can come back. But he has to prove now that he can fight through injuries and win. Tonight, he totally failed in that department.

ForemanJab likes this.
  2. jont

jont Active Member Full Member

Sep 27, 2004
    He lives to fight another day.. best of luck to him.. i was rooting for Joyce.. glad he is not seriously hurt.

reckless likes this.
  3. Power_tek

Power_tek Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Sep 22, 2018
    It’s a quit for me not because he took the knee but because he didn’t do everything he could to avoid taking the knee, he knew his eye was going and he didn’t rush in and clench he didn’t try to smother Joyce for me it would be easy to defend or at least understand him not wanting to risk his eye but he didn’t act as a man desperate not to lose and that’s what makes it look so bad for me, it was like he just didn’t fancy it anymore.
    It’s not a quit if you give it everything and your desire to win is displayed until the last moment and dubios didn’t do that for me so it’s a definite quit and a bad one imo

Amleth, CST80 and djfonti like this.
  4. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Question for you. If DDD knew he was close to quitting, why didn't he go for it eariler? The optics pardon the pun do not look good for Dubois.

5. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    I was actually impressed by Dubois tonight. You could see he was nervous in the first round but when Joyce won a round he'd come out better in the next one and win it or at least try and do better than he did in the previous one. This was a big fight and a lot was at stake as such it was an incredibly high pressure situation and that pressure is obviously going to increase if things aren't going your way and he's not used to things not going his way and I think that was talking a toll on him mentally more than it appeared and the damage to his eye was simultaneously taking its toll on him physically and it all just got too much for him.

CST80 and It's Ovah like this.
  6. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    He did. Vitali also caught huge hell for quitting, even though he suffered a shoulder injury that required surgery to repair. Even when people learned of the surgery, they still bashed him for quitting.

Vitali had to get half his face torn off by Lennox Lewis, beg for the fight NOT to be stopped, and get about 60 stitches to close all the cuts to overcome that stigma.

As far as we know, Dubois quit over a swollen eye. That's it. Lots of boxers fight through swollen eyes. Most beg for the fights NOT to be stopped when they have a swollen eye. They don't quit on their own.

Maybe it's worse than that. We'll see. If it's just a case of him needing to put some ice on it ... well, ...

Mendoza likes this.
  7. It's Ovah

It's Ovah I'm your huckleberry, that's just mah game Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    I'm not disputing that. I predicted facial damage might be an issue in the fight for DD due to how soft and pudgy his face looks.

But he was in that position and I'm specifically commenting on that. Not how he got there in the first place.

8. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    We saw the same puffy face potential issues. My question is if a fighter knows he's in trouble and is in a winnable fight, he should " go for it " before the problem becomes too much. DDD never did. Sometimes the big punchers on types on the way up lack heart because they seldom need it, and when tested fold.

Power_tek likes this.
  9. It's Ovah

Sep 5, 2016
    I think he did, but it wasn't working out for him. You could see him throwing heavy leather till the final round, but Joyce was reading him and deflecting the shots. DD had a finite amount of energy left in his body and was trying his best to make it count, but it wasn't having any effect.

10. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    Yes and no. He had the faster hands and didn't open up enough. I guess we are saying he was a hyped guy, good enough to make a top 20 level fight, but not much beyond that. Joyce is not that hard to hit.

11. It's Ovah

Sep 5, 2016
    Possibly. We'll see if it's a recurring issue for him later in his career, but it's a bit early for anything too definite to be read from it.

I don't think DD was ever in a winnable fight here, and I think he knew it. How did you want him to go for it? He wasn't able to set his feet to throw because of JJ's movement and jab, and was likely dog tired.

12. It's Ovah

Sep 5, 2016
    He isn't hard to hit, but he's hard to hit clean. Very good at deflecting and rolling with shots.

13. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    Yes, Joyce is slow, DDD can beat him to the punch/ Every time. Set your set and let your hands go, then see what happens. It was obvious DDD had little defense or countering ability. He lacked the will to risk what he needed, small gas tank or not.

14. covetousjuice

covetousjuice Putin did nothing wrong Full Member

Apr 21, 2015
    I really don't think it was that big a deal that he quit.

Dubois was getting schooled the whole night and things were only going downhill for him. If he had a real chance of winning and still quit, that would be one thing, but he clearly had no (legitimate) chance. The guy is young and has a whole career ahead of him. He can -- and should -- focus on the future.

15. On The Money

On The Money Dangerous Journeyman Full Member

Apr 4, 2012
    That was a pretty pathetic effort by Dubois. Respect your elders boy and go back to the drawing board.