Thaxton to Khan: "Someone hasn't got confidence in your chin"

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Jimbo, Jan 4, 2008.

1. achillesthegreat

achillesthegreat FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
    ..and just like that Thaxton owned Khan.

Khan talked big when his promoter wasn't on the same wavelength.

Note: Who can blame Warren for protecting his asset. In Khan, Warren is showing how to get a title shot very carefully. Why fight Thaxton when you can become the mandatory without him.

If Warren was smart he'd use up Khans time fighting for British and Euro titles. Plus defending British 3 times. He'd become huge British star and hope something happens to Juan Diaz.

Khan has nothing for Juan Diaz at the moment.

2. rooq

rooq Rooq's Boxing Promoter Full Member

Jan 16, 2007
  3. achillesthegreat

Jul 21, 2004
  4. elle

elle Journeywoman Full Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Since the Limond scare Khan hasn't really been tested at all.

First there was Lawton who needed a good dose of anti freeze, then there was the battle weary Earl who was proven to be shot and now its Kristjansen and frankly a nice danish pastry would be more appetising to me than this fight and I don't think its worthy enough to be a WBO eliminator.

Khan needs to start getting some rounds under his belt and face someone who can punch and is actually going to fight back.

5. achillesthegreat

Jul 21, 2004
    Graham Earl was a very good test.

You are talking in hindsight. In fact it was believed that the Limond scare saw to it Warren didn't want to make the Earl fight.

Khan has ONE major fight left domestically - Thaxton. Then he can leave and fight in Europe and the World.

6. TFFP

TFFP Guest

What makes me laugh is people looking back in hindsight, and criticizing Earl as an opponent, when infact many were picking him to expose Khan's shakey whiskers

Earl was shot, but Khan still did a really good job in getting him out so quickly, he was POTENTIALLY a tougher fight than Limond. But it didn't quite happen

Thaxton is over the hill, Khan would win at a canter

7. jc

jc Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 9, 2004
    Earl was obviously damaged goods.

Thaxton is the best British fight at the weight.

8. elle

Aug 21, 2007

On paper yes but in reality? The way Khan finished Earl was impressive and no doubt it did his confidence a world of good but what would Khan have actually learned from that fight?

Obviously we have the benefit of hindsight now but, to be fair, even BEFORE the fight most felt it was unlikely Earl hadn't been irreparably damaged by the Romanov/Ramirez/Katsidis succession of hard fights.

I agree the only fight left on the domestic scene for Khan is Thaxton but it may never happen - according to FWTV his victory over Earl may allow him to by-pass Thaxton completely.

9. sean

sean pale peice of pig`s ear Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    whats the chance of frank commenting on thaxton`s barbs on his sun column.

shows what the suns sport editor knows about boxing that he allows him to spout his propaganda every week without pulling him up on it.

10. elle

Aug 21, 2007

If you look at the results of the poll on brit ESB over 75% expected Khan to beat Earl so I don't know how you have come to the conclusion that many were picking him to expose Khan - it was a clear minority.

As you say, Earl was shot and as for Thaxton - for a fighter that is supposedly over the hill Khan's team seem reluctant to make the fight for some reason?

11. achillesthegreat

Jul 21, 2004
    Earl was an experienced fighter who was going to put Khan in a hard fight from round 1 to 12. That's the kind of guy Earl can be. However Khan blew him away.

People STILL don't know that Earl is shot. He fought an unbelievable fight v Katsidis and got blown away by Khan before he could show anything. Earl didn't get blown away in 72secs cos of what he is shot. He got blown away cos of what Khan did.

By passing Thaxton is inexcusable. He is the British champ and proven fighter. He gives the Hattons a good fight and whoops the Meagers.

12. elle

Aug 21, 2007

Sorry Achillesthegreat I have to disagree about Earl. I am convinced he is shot.

Yes Earl v Katsidis was a superb fight but in the process Earl took some severe punishment. People dwell on this fight but in my opinion it was the Romanov fight that was the beginning of the end with Earl - he simply hasn't looked the same since. Incidentally I had Romanov ahead in that fight although Earl got the decision.

In between those two fights Ramirez had Earl in real trouble - Earl looked a shell of the fighter he once was and almost got ko'ed a couple of times (was badly shaken in the 4th I think). Ended the fight weakly as well with numerous unanswered punches late on. Was fortunate to get the decision - again.

By the time Khan fought Earl he was there for the taking. In saying this I don't mean to sound disrespectful about Earl who is a very honest pro or discredit Khan but to my mind he was fighting Earl at the right time - still a very impressive finish.

13. rydersonthestorm

rydersonthestorm Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 27, 2007
    If kahn sets up a fight for the wbo title after this fight with katsidis instead of fighting a pretty old and overated thaxton i don't really know what any of you will be able to say.

14. pokerbox

pokerbox Member Full Member

Mar 31, 2007
    I agree with Hotti-Killer, Khan has got to beat his biggest domestic threat, which is Thaxton. Surely if he does this and wins his confidence in himself will be genuinely sky high and his dream of winning a world title can become a reality.

15. dan-b

dan-b Guest

Depends who he ends up fighting for it. Katsidis is not the WBO champ! Juan Diaz is the WBO/WBA/IBF champ & Warren will not let Khan near him. I strongly suspect the WBO will strip Diaz & he wont particularly care as the WBA & IBF are more prestigious titles.

Katisidis is fighting Joel Casamayor so he'll lose his WBO interim belt win or lose. That'll leave Khan to fight some sub par opponent for the vacant WBO belt & we'll all have it rammed down our that throat that he's the youngest British "world" champion.

This whole affair is so predictable it sickens me.