Thaxton to Khan: "Someone hasn't got confidence in your chin"

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Jimbo, Jan 4, 2008.

1. rydersonthestorm

rydersonthestorm Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 27, 2007
    You don't seem to get the fact that kahn wants to be the youngest champion so if warren doesn't sort that out for him he might leave him and then warren will be ****ed. If he wins the belt he will then take on better fighters as he has said many times he wants to be a multi weight champ etc.

2. dan-b

dan-b Guest

But what will he be champion of if he wins the vacant WBO belt? I really dont think you grasp what I'm getting at here. If he wins it he'll spend years in England defending his strap against whatever sub par opponents the WBO throw at him just like Calzaghe.

Dont get me wrong I'm not knocking Calzaghe who is up their with the p4p best now but he let Warren waste the best part of his career defending the WBO at home. He was champ for 10 years but has only jsut cleaned up the belts. You tell me why the same wont happen to Khan.

3. mike464

mike464 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 10, 2005
    It probably depends on how much confidence FW has in him. Calzaghe was WBO champ for years before he fought for a world title, same with Hatton. Naz stepped up a lot quicker.

4. rydersonthestorm

rydersonthestorm Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 27, 2007
    It will not happen with kahn as he has a different attitude the only reason i think kahn is going this route at the moment as warren knows kahn wants to be the youngest world champion. Kahn wants to be the best of the best and if warren doesn't get him the big fights he will leave warren and get is family involved.

5. stake501

stake501 Active Member Full Member

Apr 7, 2007

If Warren ****s it up with Khan (doesnt match his ambition), you have Golden Boy, Arum etc all waiting in the wings.

the problem with Warren is he thinks the 0 is the most important thing to market a fighter.

6. dan-b

dan-b Guest

We'll see, I think strings of WBO defences await. I hope I'm wrong.

7. dan-b

dan-b Guest

Thats your professional analysis is it? What exactly makes him a joke in your opinion?

8. elle

elle Journeywoman Full Member

Aug 21, 2007

So its official - Khan v Thaxton not happening after Khan withdrew from the purse bids.

Disappointing but predictable.

9. Team_Calzaghe

Team_Calzaghe New Member Full Member

May 23, 2007

I hate Frank Warren, he's a rat who treats his boxers like sh*t. However, I'll give him credit he's doing an excellent job of bringing along Amir Khan.

To date Khan's opponents have looked semi good challengers but never really posed any significant risk.

It is clear Warrens strategic plan is to get Amir Khan an easy WBO title shot with liitle risk. Warren has an excellent rapport with the WBO and I'm very confident both Warren and Amir Khan will be able to pull it off.

Warren also has to think of his future, With Joe Calzaghe looking at retiring in the next 12 months Warren needs another big name fighter to continue brining in those big pay days.

All in all its a bit of farce although I think in 3 or 4 years time Amir Khan will become a very strong competent fighter and definitely acheive a recongised world title (as long as he doesn't kill himself or someone else driving)

Regards,

John

10. mike464

Sep 10, 2005
    It's Joe Calzaghe all over again

11. elle

elle Journeywoman Full Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Just imagine if all doesn't go according to plan and Khan is forced to go back for Thaxton!

12. mike464

Sep 10, 2005
    I don't think he'd fight Thaxton. I bet FW avoiding the fight so much has gotten it into Khan's head that he can't beat Thaxton. Just like when FW never let Hatton in with Witter and once Hatton left Warren he still never made the Witter fight.

13. dan-b

dan-b Guest

I'm fast going off Khan.

14. IronBull

IronBull Active Member Full Member

Sep 1, 2005
    Thaxton turned down the offer. Thaxton has spoiled it.

15. Words

Words Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 21, 2007
    I reckon that Khan and his team have seen from Thaxton's last fight that he's on the slide slightly. Considering Amir is so young and Thaxton approaching 34 that they'll fight a few more journeymen and wait til its an easier test. Just how they chose Graham Earl on the basis that he'd been inactive and therefore rusty, they're hoping to get the advantage that Thaxton will be deteriorating by the time he comes to fight Amir.

I dont think its a lack of confidence, its just cynical matchmaking. Khan's blowing out everyone in his path at the moment, and he's still so young! He can afford to take his time he's only 21 he's still learning. No rush.