The 90's Nearly was a fabulous h/w era (what sold it short)

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by GordonGarner65, Aug 11, 2018.

1. GordonGarner65

GordonGarner65 Active Member Full Member

Nov 12, 2016
    Tyson,Lewis,Holyfield,Bowe
    Supporting cast...Tucker Mercer Witherspoon Bruno Grant Tua Ruddock Mason Damiani Rahman Botha Jackson Seldon Golota Holmes Foreman Biggs Moorer McCall Douglas Stewart Williams Tubbs Morrison Hide Bent etc etc
    But it didn't quite gel together like the 70's.
    The depth was there, anyone care to suggest why a potentially great great era, didn't quite gel ?

2. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    It was arguably the greatest era in the division's history. The 70's is just vastly overrated by echo chamber nostalgia. From Manila on, it was pretty much rubbish. Ali and Frazier were both in decline the entire decade. Look at those Top Ten rankings from the 70's and often past the first 3 or 4 it gets real sketchy.

The 90's could have used a Bowe-Lewis match-up. That is for sure. And the multitude of straps didn't help. But for depth, and real powerpunchers, it was tops.

3. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Tyson was there in name only. He wasn't the force he had been. Bowe ruined it the most by ducking Lewis and splitting the title. I do think Lennox losing to McCall hurt because it gave the others an excuse to ignore him. I think Foreman l was a distraction but also a star.

4. Cojimar 1946

Cojimar 1946 Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 23, 2014
    What makes you think it could match the 2010s?

5. GordonGarner65

GordonGarner65 Active Member Full Member

Nov 12, 2016
    Agree about Lewis.
    Perhaps it was the fact that the main guys peaks didn't quite match up , several of the best never met one another and even if they did it wasn't peak v peak ?

6. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    I tell you something Gordon ,I wish we had the 90 s era right now ,I loved that time for the heavy s .But yep ,there were a good few match ups that didn't come off .Bowe v Lewis, Tyson v Foreman ,Foreman v Lewis etc but it did have some good fight s and the heavy s were back in the spot light .It wasn't a perfect era but no era ever is ,just my opinion pal .

ETM and GordonGarner65 like this.
  7. Rumsfeld

Rumsfeld Moderator Staff Member

Jul 19, 2004
    On this note.

This content is protected

reznick, ETM and dinovelvet like this.
  8. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    It was good up until 1997, by the end of that year Tyson, Bowe, Moorer and Mercer were all finished and then all that was left were Lewis and a faded Holyfield who finally fought in 1999, they gave us a terrible first fight and then an entertaining rematch.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    GordonGarner65 likes this.
  9. juppity

juppity Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 28, 2016
    The end of the 90's meant the end of the domination of USA HW''s. And though boxing is now a truly global sport USA is still the capital of boxing and the deterioration of HW has meant less interest in boxing.

10. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    It was great compared to what we have now. It could have been better. A lot of talent.

jdoro63 likes this.
  11. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    it was ok. I don't think it was that great. There was a big separation of the top and the next level. Same as today.

12. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    1975 was the following in the Annual Top 10 Ratings... Bugner, Neumann, Bobick and Wepner.

1976 had Bobick, Howard Smith, Johnny Boudreaux and Stan Ward.

Leon Spinks was the unified heavyweight champion!

The division has never been particularly deep. Nostalgia plays a big part in the 70's estimation.

13. dinovelvet

dinovelvet Antifanboi Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Its a very good HW division now , but history repeats itself. We have Joshua avoiding Wilder using the same tactics Lewis used to avoid Bowe.

However that fight will probably happen since AJ is not likely to get counted out by a guy like MaCall. Thats if Wilder doesn't lose to Fury also , which may be a possibility.

If that happens AJ vs TF becomes the biggest fight in British boxing history. :elboinas::elboinas:

cleglue1 and GordonGarner65 like this.
  14. Sangria

Sangria You bleed like Mylee Full Member

Nov 13, 2010
    A lot of the guys took the Foreman route: fight someone in the Top 10, particularly lower half who didn't really deserve their ranking, and then wait for your title shot or big money PPV fight. Didn't happen nearly as often as today but the 90's were really the decade when this plan began to unfold.

Don King and Pay-Per-View had a lot to do with it.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  15. Big Red

Big Red Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 29, 2011
    I remember at the time it was often called a weak era. It’s true that the best fights to be made did not happen for the most part.