The all things technical thread.

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by slip&counter, Feb 5, 2012.

1. slip&counter

slip&counter Gimme some X's and O's Full Member

Jul 23, 2008
    I thought i'd start a thread where we could discuss all the technical aspects of the game. Where in we could place all our technical thoughts and opinions. Whether it's breaking down a fighters flaws and strengths or just your philosophies on certain things and how they should be done. Right down to a punch you like or don't and how it should be thrown. Things like the best ways to fight a southpaw? how to take away the jab? how to apply effective pressure? how to improve your defense? mental aspects? things like that. Don't limit yourselves.

I don't know if this thread has legs (it probabily doesn't) But just give it a shot. :good

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8Jt0RpCkTQ[/ame]

2. BlackBrenny

BlackBrenny Guest

Can anybody without cheating and looking at the videos, remember the weird way Eamonn Magee would throw his hooks?

3. Dunky McCafferty

Dunky McCafferty Boxing Junkie banned

Aug 24, 2004
    Its a good idea slip, back in the day when Scotty Harrison was the man, me & my mate would take great pleasure in studying his opponents & figuring out how he would win, & we were right EVERY time. No kidding.

So it can be done, as Vitali said to Chis, studying an opponent is the key. If you love a fighter enough, you could probably teach their own trainers a lesson or two about how to beat future opponents.

4. Lazarus

Lazarus Realist Full Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Great idea, Slip.

I like that. Plus you can make sub-headings in the OP for a particular thing and write the page so we know where we can look it up.

5. TFFP

TFFP The Eskimo

Nov 28, 2007
    Big fan of the traditional old school defensive style, I'll expand on it later.

6. TheUzi

TheUzi MISSION INCOMPLETE Full Member

Jul 23, 2008
    Rakim...GOAT.

7. SkillspayBills

SkillspayBills Mandanda Running E-Pen Full Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Hernandez vs Cunningham was a joy to watch technically as well on a emotional/excitement level.

I love fighters hooking off jab, that's really hard to do but it's so classy and works a treat.

8. slip&counter

Jul 23, 2008
    Good point, Sir Dunky. Many fighters don't study opponents before fights. Most of them leave it up to their trainers to do that, there's no excuse for not having a look at your opponent in this day and age where so much footage is available.

Also people should know what to look out for when watching someone they're about to fight. People normally look for the strengths to look out for or a weakness that happened in that fight they're watching, but the key for me and i've heard Freddie Roach say this, is looking for bad habits that repeat themselves over and over.

9. slip&counter

Jul 23, 2008
    Cheers, Laz. That's a good suggestion.

Looking forward to reading that, T. :good

10. SkillspayBills

Oct 3, 2011
    Recently i've noticed so many fighters not knowing how to fight a southpaw. From the most simplest aspect.

It's like there either not told or don't care or forget to put there lead foot on outside of the southpaw's lead foot. Cunningham last night did it because he's a listener and a very good boxer.

Just baffles me the amount of times i see orthodox fighters standing on inside at range getting peppered by lead lefts.

Marquez vs Pacquiao recently, JMM treads on Pac's foot repeatedly :lol:. Classy work IMO he knew what he was doing all the time.

11. BlackBrenny

BlackBrenny Guest

Ok I'll say this, Magees technique vs Hatton reminded me of Groves vs Smith

12. slip&counter

Jul 23, 2008
    Yep. It's brillient to see it done and it's also very effective. Great skill. The best hooker off the jab i've seen in recent years was De La Hoya.

13. BlackBrenny

BlackBrenny Guest

Khan did always did that reaching hook off the jab followed by the right hand, and when he knocked salita out with it, prince naseem tried to take credit for it and said he taught Khan that move :lol:

14. SkillspayBills

Oct 3, 2011
    One aspect that many don't talk about and i feel British lads struggle with is 'punching on move'. Many need to plant there feet firmly to ground, they don't seem able to nip in a cheeky left hook or right hand.

If i go into training young boxers someday i'd teach them to punch on move. Not asking for RJJ type punching but padwork wouldn't be stationary they'd have to move and land punches whilst cutting me off. Teaching them balance as well..

I'll add more footage and stuff as thread builds, off to bed now. Great thread will shape up nicely.

15. brown bomber

brown bomber 2010 Poster of the Year Full Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Like it slip- make one in the training forum too- will contribute later