The beginning of the end of free to view Boxing on tv

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by wegotitback, Dec 13, 2016.

1. wegotitback

wegotitback New Member Full Member

Jun 4, 2014
  2. Finchley

Finchley Member Full Member

May 19, 2011
    I thought this was a joke and checked it out. Unbelievable.
    Britain's number one middleweight (?) will fight for the world title (IBO) on ITV's first box office event.
    I'm a bit lost for words, what a pile of sh1t. Why not just fight on ITV and raise your profile to the point where box office is actually viable? Most fighters would love to be on ITV. I think the numbers will be embarrassing and as their first step into box office it's a joke.

mcvey likes this.
  3. liger1992

liger1992 Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 29, 2015
    I think the plan is to try and get a fight vs Groves or Degale (if he leaves Hearn) on PPV down the line.

Why they are not putting Eubank jnr on free tv beforehand I have no idea. Nobody is going to pay to watch him fight some unknown Australian for a mickey mouse belt.

4. I Shot JR

I Shot JR Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2012
    The undercard is on ITV4. I agree that this is absolutely bonkers for their first PPV- I'd have ran bi monthly events on ITV4/1 for a year and then seen if there was a PPV worthy fight.

Interesting times though- will anyone lower down the Matchroom/Queensbury ladder be tempted by this new platform? I imagine the PPV cost will be a tenner.

destruction likes this.
  5. liger1992

Mar 29, 2015
    Even more baffling. Give people an undercard and then tell them to watch the main event you now must pay. That's not going to work.

6. Brixton Bomber

Brixton Bomber Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Sep 21, 2013
    No different to a free view on TVX etc. Oh hang on..

7. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    All you mongs who paid for all those shitty PPV main events are the reason this is happening.

You would all say 'if you dont like dont pay...whats the problem?' well this is what happens when you pay for **** people will deliver more and more ****.

**** you all

8. Guy Nicho

Guy Nicho Member Full Member

Aug 1, 2016
    It's a massive shame ITV aren't going to get into boxing without wanting immediate profit, growing up when boxing was on terrestial tv I as well as most on here will know how massive a star terrestial tv can build you into, THEN ok if and when you get the huge fight and they want a bit back fair play most will pay to see it

JannyG and im sparticus like this.
  9. ashishwarrior

ashishwarrior VIP Member Full Member

Apr 19, 2010
    K the o the d the I
    Its Cody

ryanm8655 and gmurphy like this.
  10. Finchley

May 19, 2011
    Calm down and learn how to spell neurological.

You have a point about people paying for garbage (Clev Bellew 2 being the worst I can think of). This seems to take it to the next level. I am really interested to see how many people buy this. I assume the numbers will be tiny but who knows? He is quite well known and guys in their 40s+ who don't follow boxing might be tempted as it will remind them of the good nights with Eubank in the 90s.
    If it does somehow make good numbers then the OP is right, it will be terrible going forwards

Camaris and Gatekeeper like this.
  11. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Boxing is a very niche sport with a relatively small following, what people within the sport should be trying to do is create new fans, doing things like thus is very counter productive to that. But as long as mugs are willing to pay for fights that should never be on PPV (all of AJ's fights so far and the likes of Bellew-Clev) then this will continue.

im sparticus and nurological like this.
  12. liger1992

Mar 29, 2015
    Not really as anyone with a half a brain knows PPV doesn't sell just because its PPV. 400k could pay for AJ v Molina, that doesn't mean Eubank vs Skippy will see a good buyrate as its not as simple as that.

If ITV are looking at the Sky Box office numbers and thinking PPV is the answer they are very much mistaken. You need some star power and Eubank Jnr isn't that yet.

mcvey likes this.
  13. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    True story i had this name as a kid and then realised it wasnt spelt correctly! Thought **** it stick it and and wait for the clever twats to point it out ;)

14. Dragon Punch

Dragon Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 15, 2012
    So Haymon is behind this...I remember Poxon was kind of advising them on British boxing in some capacity a while ago so big Al is using him as the official promoter it would seem

15. Finchley

May 19, 2011
    Ha ha, sorry mate - couldn't resist!

Strange nickname though, bit different to smudge or chalky (I am stuck in the 1950s)

tee_birch likes this.