The beginning of the end of free to view Boxing on tv

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by wegotitback, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Hattonmad

Hattonmad Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 5, 2009
    From afar this looks like the most baffling amateur thing a TV station has ever done. Absolutely nobody knows the opponent, and not many more know Eubank Jr regardless of his second name. How do you create significant PPV numbers out of that?

From the inside we don't know how they're going to build this event. With a stacked undercard and several promotional documentaries they could just about break even perhaps. But I certainly don't envisage the former happening as the EU bank's are greedy *******s!

If this was a 3 fight deal, two cards on terrestrial, Reynolds on the undercard and the 3rd fight (this one) on PPV it could have been some sort of a success. But jumping in head first like this looks like a potential disaster. And I hope it is because Eubank Jr and his oul lad don't deserve a PPV payday.

2. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    Haha no bother. I thought it was cool as a kid now i think its funny how dumb i was. Serves more of a reminder to me i guess!

Finchley likes this.
  3. Brixton Bomber

Brixton Bomber Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Sep 21, 2013
    Spot on.

There's no fans like sports fan that get taken for idiots time and time again.

4. thornpipe

thornpipe Active Member Full Member

May 11, 2016
    To be fair to eubank he is a casuals p4p top 5 (well known) and with the right build up on primetime ITV programs this can exceed sky PPV numbers even though it's a Mickey mouse belt

5. big_daddy

big_daddy Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 28, 2013
    agreed, could understand them going straight to PPV if it was a groves or degale but this opponent is a guy hardly anyone has heard of for a meaningless bauble, which you could get away with if it was on free to air.

Whoever authorised this on ITV should get fired immediately, then again what with some of their past deals in sport (the ridiculous money paid for football league rights around 15 years ago which destroyed their digital platform, and also put a lot of clubs in serious financial problems as some geniuses thought 'people pay loads for premier league teams so let's do that for much lesser teams and there's 72 not 20 teams so there's more people to target!'), so I'm hoping this flops and we never hear of the Eubanks ever, ever again for trying to con the public so many times, with the GGG bluff that was called so they ran like the cowards they are to this awful, awful move.

Jr isn't AJ, nowhere near that, someone needs to give daddy a call.

6. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    ITV sport probably has a management graduate from INSEAD as Director, maybe even more than one on the comittee of 7 or 8. Guess what guys....

That INSEAD grad knows nothing about how to build boxing on a channel and is shamelessly copying SKY because they do PPV init bruv.

I have seen these incompetent INSEAD Masters in Business Administration let loose on companies before, and they are a complete and utter disaster. But they get there because they do a masters that requires £80k to do plus a high 2-1 or 1st to get onto the course in the first place.

This PPV is going to cost ITV a bath. I am sure INSEAD twat will not be fired for this waste.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  7. big_daddy

Nov 28, 2013
    Niall Sloane is their director of sport, doesn't look like he's from INSEAD

8. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Yes I see he is a life long "journalist"

Which basically means someone with the business acumen of a trust fund kid.

9. big_daddy

Nov 28, 2013
    id more go with him being someone who will hype the crap out of garbage to get idiots on board. Which is what the most likely plan is here.

Then again itv were hyping up WBU fights in the 90s as world title fights, admittedly it was shea neary who had a decent name and the WBU wasn't a total joke back then, probably a little worse than the WBO was

10. Ilesey

Ilesey ~ Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    I will kill anyone who buys this.

11. Camaris

Camaris Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 11, 2012
    I'll be buying it. I think everyone is being too negative.

12. im sparticus

im sparticus There Ye Go. Full Member

May 16, 2010
    L
    Lol

13. MCFC_EW

MCFC_EW Active Member Full Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Be interested to see what Eubank has agreed with this. I imagine hes taking a large flat fee rather than a % of the PPV revenue? Surely even he isnt deluded enough to think this will sell?

14. ashishwarrior

ashishwarrior VIP Member Full Member

Apr 19, 2010
    I can't get it as I will need a pen to sign up for it and I have lost my own if Chris Jr can lend me his that would be helpful sh1t I forgot he as lost his to well it looks like the k the o the d the i for me

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  15. Puroresu_Fan

Puroresu_Fan Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Hi Chris