The best HW championship reign? Haye, Fury or Joshua

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Sir Will Wigan, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Sir Will Wigan

Sir Will Wigan HLF: A Real "Fightin' Man" Full Member

Jan 16, 2011
    Who of the three have had the better reign in terms of the impacts on British boxing, global boxing and on themselves? David, Fury or AJ (to date).

2. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Tyson Fury's among the most dismal reigns in heavyweight history.
    But I can't consider David Haye and Anthony Joshua world champions, so Fury's the winner by default.

Grooveongreg likes this.
  3. lawslaw

lawslaw Active Member Full Member

Sep 10, 2016
    None really. Fury can't even be considered though as he chose drugs over making a defence. At least the other two defended twice.

4. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Default Fury.

He is the only one to have a HW reign. He also beat a 10 year undefeated and undisputed champion.
    The fact he blew up and acted like an idiot afterwards is part of the after fact.

Wake me up when AJ or Haye win all the belts or becomes the man at HW, like Fury did in one fight. In AJs case that may happen- and I think he has the potential to (if he is better defensively than he looks when under pressure at the moment). I dont think that Haye will ever reach that level. AJ is potential- Haye is a one trick pony circling from the outside waiting to counter

5. Cecil

Cecil Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 22, 2015
    They've had reigns?

6. tee_birch

tee_birch Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 6, 2014
    Fury. He beat Klitchko

7. ryanm8655

ryanm8655 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Fury has the best win...obviously...but can you call it a reign?

Haye's "reign" was pretty pathetic but that said if Joshua loses to Klitschko then I think Haye's "reign" is superior, old Ruiz and Valuev are both better wins than any of Ajs thus far...

8. Wig

Wig Boxing Addict Full Member

May 31, 2010
    Fury: Beat the MAN in his own backyard. 8/10
    Haye: Beat a direct descendant of the Nephilim, and John Ruiz, Injured his toe in Germany loss to VLAD. Smashed up a prime Chisora. 6/10
    Joshua: Gave a pothead $8m for Fury's discarded bauble, defended it against doormen and traffic officers on PPV at the O2. 2/10

9. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Don't you need to defend it for it to really be a reign?

lawslaw likes this.
  10. lawslaw

lawslaw Active Member Full Member

Sep 10, 2016
    What has Chisora got to do with this thread?

BoxingABC1 likes this.
  11. BoxingABC1

BoxingABC1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 21, 2016
    was just thinking that, wasn't that fight for the WBO International or something as equally ridiculous

12. Sir Will Wigan

Sir Will Wigan HLF: A Real "Fightin' Man" Full Member

Jan 16, 2011
    Though it was in a pure stinker of fight, Fury's win was the "best" because of the opponent (irrespective of how poorly that opponent fought). I would call the time between the fight and the losses of his belt a "reign". He just didn't fight during that reign and suffered a complete, across-the-board meltdown.

13. Wig

Wig Boxing Addict Full Member

May 31, 2010
    You might have been thinking it but until you post it it doesn't count. Got it?

14. MAJR

MAJR Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 16, 2012
    I'd probably say Haye right now. He beat Valuev, defended against Ruiz and Harrison before losing to Wlad.

Fury beat Wlad, was stripped of two belt then relinquished the remaining ones.

Joshua beat Martin,defended against Breazeale and Molina and is going to defend against Wlad later this year.

Fury, by far, has the best win but he never defended any of his belts. Both Haye and Joshua currently have two successful defenses but Haye's quality of opposition was a bit better than Joshua's. If Joshua beat's Wlad - even the 41 year old Wlad who hasn't been in the ring since November 2015 - then he'll clearly have had the best reign out of the three, but if he loses then at best he can claim to have done no worse than Haye.