The Best of the Rest: 160lbs Tier II Tournie - THE FINAL:Lloyd Marshall SD15 Mike McCallum

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by McGrain, Sep 14, 2021.

Who will win?

Poll closed Sep 17, 2021.
  1. Lloyd T/KO

6.3%
  2. Lloyd Points

50.0%
  3. McCallum Points

31.3%
  4. McCallum T/KO

12.5%
  1. AwardedSteak863

AwardedSteak863 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 16, 2018
    Please understand that I am not knocking Marshall for being KO 11 times. I also understand that some of those were late in his career or in situations were he probably took fights on short notice, etc. McCallum could only fight the best available to him which in most cases he beat clearly. Only later in his career at light heavy did he get beaten decisively by Roy Jones and Tiozzo. I firmly believe that he would have performed well in the same era as Marshal against the likes of Charles, Lamotta etc. He was just simply that good.

I have no problem with someone picking Marshall. I know those names on his resume carry a lot of weight as they should. It was a golden era of the sport but I will go to my grave thinking McCallum could compete with anyone at MW.

2. Tin_Ribs

Tin_Ribs Me Full Member

Jun 28, 2009
    I didn't think you were knocking Marshall tbh, I could tell that you were trying to put forth a balanced argument. Fair enough about McCallum, he was a brilliant fighter and indeed very durable and consistent. I was just trying to put some of Marshall 's losses in context, the same with McCallums consistency.

JohnThomas1 likes this.
  3. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    McCallum's power gets well overrated for me. A lot seem to think him a bit of a banger (particularly at 154) but he just wasn't. You never see any opponents lauding his power and some even mention his lack thereof. He mostly ground 'em down. They all do however mention his excellent skills.

His durability is excellent but we've seen him in decent trouble. I think if he rolled the dice across Marshall's era i would not be surprised if he lost by stoppage a couple of times. Brutal conditions and brutal opponents of which there was any amount of depth.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
  4. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Lloyd Marshall the winner! I'm a little surprised, I must admit, he turned in some pretty special performances at MW, but I think most of his best was above 160lbs. People probably creditting him a little bit for his work at higher weights, which I don't find totally objectionable. I thought he was going to get put out in the semi- though, only time I was really surprised during the MW tournament I think!

A worthy winner anyway - best of the rests fits him perfectly.

5. Tin_Ribs

Tin_Ribs Me Full Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Couldn't agree more John.

JohnThomas1 likes this.
  6. AwardedSteak863

AwardedSteak863 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 16, 2018
    Thanks for doing these threads! They clearly take a lot of effort and time.