The Best of the Rest: 175lbs Tier II Tournie - Round 2 - 3:Bernard Hopkins UD15 Dariusz Michalczwski

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by McGrain, Jul 20, 2021 at 12:51 AM.

Who will win?

Poll closed Today at 12:51 AM.
  1. Hopkins T/KO

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Hopkins Points

58.3%
  3. Dariusz Points

41.7%
  4. Dariusz T/KO

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    What i've done is i've lifted top tiers out of my top fifty at the poundage, fiddled it a little bit to minimise guys with no footage and used the remaining 32 names plus some subs to develop a seeded tournament to uncover "the best of the rest" at the poundage, with you, the denizens of the world's greatest boxing history forum, casting the deciding vote.

Pick your man! Write however many details you like or don't in a post below. But maybe try to post, to keep things moving a little bit. You have three days.

And let's be nice. No reason for disagreeing over total fantasies after all!

15 Rounds, 1990s rules and ref. 10 points must. I'll only vote where there's a tie.

Round of Thirty-Two Fight 3 - Bernard Hopkins vs Dariusz Michalczewski

BERNARD HOPKINS (55-8-2)
    As ridiculous as it seems now, the twin defeats of Bernard Hopkins by Jermain Taylor in 2005 was seen as something of a terminal for the great middleweight. If not quite finished, he had perhaps boarded the great train to nowhere, even if there was to be a quick stop at light-heavyweight for a beating at the hands of three to one favourite Antonio Tarver. As is so often the case in boxing, the unexpected occurred: Hopkins kicked the **** out of Tarver.

Tarver had had his problems in training, dropping forty pounds he had gained for a performance in a movie while Hopkins, of course, was moving up. No longer shackled by the manacles of 160lbs, Hopkins weighed in at a liberating 174lbs and re-hydrated to a luscious 182lbs. It was like putting fuel in. He threw almost one-hundred more punches than he had managed in the first Taylor fight and found Tarver with the old unerring accuracy. Inside, he was clearly the stronger man despite being both smaller and older while on the outside he took by far the more steps but his engine remained greased. Aged forty-one years of age, Bernard’s astonishing assault on the light-heavyweight division had begun.

DARIUSZ MICHALCZEWSKI (48-2)
    Dariusz Michalczewski took the lineal light-heavyweight championship from Virgil Hill in 1997 and did not lose it until 2003 when time and Julio Cesar Gonzalez caught up with him. It does not matter that Ring Magazine gifted Roy Jones their title in appreciation of his brilliance – Michalczewski was the real champion, and you have to go all the way back to the great Archie Moore to find one who ruled for more years.

Michalczewski packed in an astonishing fourteen successful defences while on top of the hill. His opposition was sometimes less than inspiring but he won his fair share of big fights. Against Virgil Hill he did what Henry Maske couldn’t and solved Hill as early as the second round, unveiling his lack of power and taking risks to cut off the ring on his fleet-footed foe. When Hill tried for volume, Michalczewski just picked punches, unerringly finding the right blow before going right back to his stalk and destroy style. The fight was not close.

He showed more superb adaptions versus ranked stylist Lee Barber, a road-warrior who found himself picked and re-picked by an inexperienced fighter who again and again found a perfect mid-range to outpunch the bigger man in neat, controlled bursts. He needed a granite chin to win a 1999 shootout with Montell Griffin but became only the second man ever to stop the American when referee Joe Cortez interceded as Michalczewski brutalised him against the ropes. Graciano Rocchigiani, who caused Henry Maske all those problems, was battered to the only stoppage loss of his career. Lesser ranked men like Derrick Harmon, Richard Hall and Drake Thadzi tended to be stopped.

2. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    This content is protected

This content is protected

Brixton Bomber likes this.
  3. AwardedSteak863

AwardedSteak863 Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 16, 2018
    Hopkins dominated heavy handed pressure guys throughout his career with his far superior footwork, angles and counterpunching. As much as I like DM as a fighter I don't see him beating BHOP.

4. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    I am in the same boat. DM wouldn't have the cerebral edge in this one and for once he would be the one consistently looking for answers.

5. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Classic discussion : small vs big, old vs modern Full Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Gonna pick Dariusz. Hopkins achieved a lot at lhw given his age, but he was fortunate that the field was not that strong.

Tarver is arguably his best win. Pavlik is a good one too, but it was at a catchweight and above Pavlik's preferred category. Same for Wright. He beat the corpse of Jones. Drew with Pascal, visiting the mat twice, then he got an emphatic win. Tavoris Cloud's true lvl was on full display against Hopkins and in his subsequent bouts. Shumenov was a joke. Murat was whatever-ish. Then there is the first Dawson bout circus and the clear loss that followed. He closed his run with a one-sided loss to Kovalev and a KO loss to a motivated Smith Jr. It was a really up and down run. What impresses me the most is that he kept going and bouncing back after each setback at a point in his career when he really didn't need to. He could have walked off into the sunset after the Pascal win.

Taking all of that into consideration, I believe that had he faced a good pressure fighter like Dariusz early on in that run, he would have folded. The Calzaghe fight is a good indicator of what might have happened.

Dariusz UD

6. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft 'Snarky Little Gobshite' - IntentionalButt Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    The Hopkins from the Tarver would be too wily for DM IMO. He'd take the jab away with positioning and his cross, and outbox from there on in. I always thought the Hill fight was very close, and while Hopkins doesn't have the jab which Hill had, he was much cleverer IMO.

JohnThomas1 and AwardedSteak863 like this.
  7. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    I'm straining at the neutrality leash here boys, i'm straining.

It was satisfying getting to pick Virgil Hill in the first round's only tied match though.

JohnThomas1 and Colonel Sanders like this.
  8. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Classic discussion : small vs big, old vs modern Full Member

Sep 13, 2012
    I'm watching Dariusz vs Griffin and pretty much regret my pick :risas3: Dariusz has no head movement and he's getting lit up by Griffin. I didn't recall he was this stiff. ***Changed my pick for Hopkins decision.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021 at 4:50 AM
  9. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    10hrs remain to decide a fight on a knife edge.

10. ecto55

ecto55 דמוקרטיזציה של השממות האיסלאמיות כעת Full Member

May 28, 2009
    Switching to Hopkins. It was fun while it lasted, but the poll is looking scary now. Michalczwski really wasn't that good, and neutral, sober scoring might be a shock to him. He fought in Europe exclusively for a reason. Coupled with the 15 round duration, which would probably help Hopkins' cognitive style (despite his age), record against s/paws, the opportunities Michalczwski would give Hopkins and I'll give the bout to BH via decision.

Colonel Sanders likes this.
  11. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    Bernard Hopkins crept home for a unanimous decision after a troubled start against Dariusz Michalczwski whose consistency and positioning seemed to cause Hopkins serious problems in the early going. It was perhaps not until as late as the 12th that Hopkins really began to take over, aided perhaps by a late fade from the German who looked listless in the key championship rounds, unanimously bagged by Hopkins on all three cards for a narrow unanimous decision.

12. THE BLADE 2

THE BLADE 2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Interesting fight. There is no question Bernard is far more skilled. But, as a light heavy, Bernard was over 40, he liked to pick his spots and rest from time to time. Dariusz would put constant pressure on him and make him fight at a pace a man his age does not like to fight at. On that basis Dariusz by close points verdict.

13. Seamus

Seamus Devotee of the Little Red Book Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Damn. Had I seen this would have picked DM. That southpaw jab was a dominator and would keep old Hop at an honest distance. He just did so much more at this weight.

14. AwardedSteak863

AwardedSteak863 Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 16, 2018
    What? DM was not a southpaw. He was also a pressure fighter. Are you thinking of Maske?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021 at 2:52 PM
  15. Seamus

Seamus Devotee of the Little Red Book Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Sorry, just woke up. Meant powerjab and thinking left hand

I got to see both he and Maske and Rocchigiani when I was living in Europe a hundred years ago

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021 at 3:34 PM
    AwardedSteak863 likes this.