The Best of the Rest: 175lbs Tier II Tournie - Round 2 - 4: Virgil Hill UD15 Mickey Walker

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by McGrain, Jul 20, 2021.

Who will win?

Poll closed Jul 23, 2021.
  1. Virgil T/KO

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Virgil Points

80.0%
  3. Walker Points

20.0%
  4. Walker T/KO

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    What i've done is i've lifted top tiers out of my top fifty at the poundage, fiddled it a little bit to minimise guys with no footage and used the remaining 32 names plus some subs to develop a seeded tournament to uncover "the best of the rest" at the poundage, with you, the denizens of the world's greatest boxing history forum, casting the deciding vote.

Pick your man! Write however many details you like or don't in a post below. But maybe try to post, to keep things moving a little bit. You have three days.

And let's be nice. No reason for disagreeing over total fantasies after all!

15 Rounds, 1960s rules and ref. 10 points must. I'll only vote where there's a tie.

VIRGIL HILL (51-7)
    As legendary baseball player Lefty Gomez put it, it’s better to be lucky than good. Virgil Hill benefited from more than a little of both in a career that saw him meet as many fighters ranked at some point in the Ring Magazine top ten as just about anybody. Perhaps the fact that luck kept him safe at times during such a difficult career is more forgivable for that fact.

He stepped up for the first time against the excellent Leslie Stewart, a fight that could have been an extremely dangerous assignment, one that Hill was brave to take on. In truth, Stewart was neatly perched on the edge of old age and two exquisitely timed Hill left hooks tipped him over in four rounds late in 1987. In 1988 and 1989, Stewart went 2-3.

Still, Hill had to do the job and it was feared he might not have the style for it. To put it bluntly, Hill looked every bit the Olympic medallist – the amateur – he was, his weight perched upon his bent leading leg over which he would jab-jab-jab his way to victory. Over time he added a decent right hand, especially to the body but as a converted southpaw, it was always the left that would be his key to victory.

A whole nine years after Stewart, in what may be his defining fight, in Germany, against the world’s then #1 light-heavyweight Henry Maske, Hill was breathless in his amateur stylings despite the addition of that right. He out-peppered Maske in the early rounds, faded in the midsection and by the eleventh was running and clinching enough that it had become embarrassing. Still, he edged that fight on my card 115-113 and astonishingly (there’s that luck again) he was given the decision in a broiling pro-Maske atmosphere. Even more astonishing, this was the second time Hill was awarded an extremely narrow decision over a homeboy having defeated the quality Fabrice Tiozzo, a national hero in France, in his home country in 1993. Tiozzo came close to “finding out” Hill and his amateur style and come the fifth he was just walking in on the American and blasting him. To his credit Hill was so fast and had such a keen sense of when to stand and fight in key rounds that he was able to edge out Tiozzo by a single point for me and by a split decision on the official cards.

He had his fortune at home, too. I thought he was a little lucky to get the nod against speedster Lou De Valle in North Dakota in 1996. Decked by a rather ridiculous counter-left early on, he took on the unfamiliar role of aggressor and at no time looked comfortable, although he was crafty enough to get home for the decision.

Still, there is an awful lot that is impressive in Hill. He recognised his limitations, boxed within them and overstepped them so rarely that it was noticeable when he did so. He won eleven consecutively after smashing a strap out of Stewart, and when it was unceremoniously and rather surprisingly taken from him by Tommy Hearns in 1991 he picked himself up, dusted himself off, and went on another wonderful run terminated only in 1997 by the twin towers of Dariusz Michalczewski and Roy Jones. During those two purple patches Hill out-boxed numerous fighters who held a ranking, and although whenever he stepped into the top five he was usually set for a struggle, the lesser lights and fading stars of the division were generally out-classed, or something like it.

MICKEY WALKER (94-19-4; Newspaper Decisions 37-6-2)
    The absurd Toy Bulldog, Mickey Walker, would have fought a truck piloted by a meth-fuelled werewolf if the money was right. He was crazy. Although he never held the title himself, he defeated not one, not two, but three legitimate light-heavyweight champions of the world. Mike McTigue went first in 1925, the reigning title-holder but willing to meet Walker only in a twelve-round no-decision bout, Walker in need of a knockout in order to lift the title. The Bulldog pounded out a twelve round newspaper decision but couldn’t put his man away; infuriatingly, Walker knocked McTigue, an underrated but carefully nursed champion, quite literally out to dry, hanging him over the second rope in a single round in 1927 – by which time he had been parted from the title.

After his overdue knockout of McTigue, Walker, absolutely no light-heavyweight at 5’7 and a great deal of history at welterweight and middleweight, bowled right into the wonderful Paul Berlenbach, who had lost his title to Jack Delaney just a year earlier. Barely over the middleweight limit, Walker gave away eleven pounds to Delaney who was a body-puncher and boxer of real repute – Walker won “every round” and gave his man “an unmerciful beating” according to The Montreal Gazette, even forcing the bigger man to the canvas with his indomitable left.

Last up was Maxie Rosenbloom. Rosenbloom, inevitably, won the championship match between the two but Walker dropped and bettered the champion in a non-title bout a few months later. It was the second time he had defeated a reigning light-heavyweight champion and he had done so an astonishing seven years apart. Between, he had dropped a split-decision lost to the great Tommy Loughran and twice bested Leo Lomski. It wasn’t quite meant to be for Walker at light-heavyweight – but few fighters have bested more lineal champions than he.

Longevity, a semblance of dominance illustrated right at the end of his time at the top makes Hill was one of the most important light-heavyweights to box between Michael Spinks and Roy Jones.

Rumsfeld likes this.
  2. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    This content is protected

This content is protected

George Crowcroft likes this.
  3. AwardedSteak863

AwardedSteak863 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 16, 2018
    I'm going to enjoy the island that I am going to be on by myself. I have Hill in this match-up with that dominant jab. Of course I have tons of respect for Walker as a legit bad ass that had success fighting way above his natural weight but I am taking Hill to hold him at bay in a clear cut decsion.

4. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    The way Walker lost every round bar one to Loughran, and always struggled with good movement makes me think that he'd lose badly here. Hill decisive UD.

5. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    Virgil very much in command, can Walker stage a monstrous late rally?

6. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    Mostly, I agree, but Walker was certainly in the Jack Sharkey fight. Sharkey was just shy of 200. Beat John Risko (195) by putting him on his ass to claim a decision. Bearcat Wright wasn't anything special but he was 210.

Walker is a bit of an outlier.

7. AwardedSteak863

AwardedSteak863 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 16, 2018
    I honestly thought I was going to be alone on this one especially after the Moorer vs Maxie thread. I just assumed Walker would be overrated Maxie.

8. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    Mickey Walker looked today as a man by a boy as Virgil Hill willingly suffered inside only to routinely tattoo Mickey Walker on the outside, with jabs early, and with a up-down one-two late. Walker tended to wing early parts of each round before Hill took it away from him with strict tactical domination. The fight was a wide UD.

AwardedSteak863 likes this.