The best trainer for Eubank

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Blue Manc, Feb 1, 2019.

1. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    i fear for george

maybe i have built him too well

Chris Eubank Senior before Groves fight

Suspect.chin likes this.
  2. bbjc

bbjc Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012
    He's actually done very well considering they had no real amateur experience to speak of imo. Falling short against billy Joe Saunders and George groves the weight class above with no amateur experience actually points to his training/trainer not being nearly as bad as made out. An argument could be made it helped him bridge the gap a bit. Very few people would have any chance against groves and billy Joe without much amateur experience. Eubanks a very dedicated individual. His biggest problem is the right arm injury. Hardly his fault. No trainer will get an optimum performance out of eubank junior trying to teach him text book boxing without a straight right hand. Its pretty much the second most important punch in boxing outside of the jab. It also impacts the usefulness of the jab without it as well. Totally kills his game as a textbook fighter.

You can't really train him as a textbook fighter without the straight right arm....they,ll regress him with it. Their smart enough to know that cause they,be probably tried it already.

3. james5000

james5000 2010's poster of the decade Full Member

Apr 11, 2010
    All Jr really needs is to fix is his sloppy foot work. I don't know who the best trainer is in this specific department but it's Jr's biggest flaw.

He will never have the movement of Billy Joe that is god given imo but he can get miles better.

Jr actually has a good job, but no straight right hand.

This Mexican bloke certainly don't seem like the answer.

Looks like he is training just like he usually does to me.

He also needs to be a bit more aggressive in the clinch, not just be content to have a break and wait for the ref to break it up. Make the **** work and throw some hands. A bit like Gervontae Davis vs Walsh. Don't accept the clinch.

Ffs jab, right hand and clinch can beat him right now (still have to be a talented fighter to do it though)

4. delboy82

delboy82 Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 18, 2014
    exactly there is more to a jab than just throwing it, footwork, balance, timing and distance all come into it. At his age Eubank will never develop a jab that will be competitive against those who already have one. He needs a trainer that will bring out the best in him. I think Robert Garcia would do a good job, im thinking of the job he did with Maidana.

Hattonmad likes this.
  5. Bulldog24

Bulldog24 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 2, 2013
    Give Nate a chance

Jr was big talk on the American amateur scene only losing to the 24 year old US #1 165lber (Benton from NY I think his name was) in the National Golden Gloves when he was 17 or 18. Mike McCallum trained him back then and he actually had nimble ring-cutting ability and a good one-two!