The Better Fight; Hagler/Hearns or Hagler/Mugabi?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by bxrfan, Jan 10, 2008.

1. bxrfan

bxrfan Sizzle Full Member

Sep 28, 2007
    Towards the end of his career, Marvin Hagler turned from a slick boxer-puncher into a brawler who ground down opponents. Two brutal fights of his, vs. Hearns and Mugabi, showed that change IMO. Now Hagler/Hearns is regarded as one of the best fights of all time. Hagler/Mugabi is regarded as a great fight, but not one of the best of all time. Both were exciting for various reasons, but which one do you think is the better fight?

2. brownpimp88

brownpimp88 Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 26, 2007
    mugabi fight was better to watch.

3. TBooze

TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2006
    The first round of Hagler/Hearns was better than the entire Mugabi/Hagler fight.

Not that Hagler/Mugabi was bad, it was not, it is just that IMO Hearns/Hagler Round one is the finest three minutes in boxing history.

Hagler/Mugabi was a war not least because Marvelous Marvin was not quite so, and Mugabi put in a career performance.

4. Robbi

Robbi Marvelous Full Member

Jul 23, 2004
    It would be better to compare them if they lasted the same amount of time or close. One was 11 rounds the other only 3.

5. bxrfan

bxrfan Sizzle Full Member

Sep 28, 2007
    It would, but there are some that think those 3 rounds were better than those 11.

6. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    I'll have to watch it again but i thought Hagler boxed after Mugabi was dangerous and landed some heavy leather in some early exchanges. IMO the Hearns fight stands way above given the combined talents, but the Mugabi defense is immensely enjoyable and Hagler showed some serious toughness and the usual supreme durabilty.

7. RoccoMarciano

RoccoMarciano Blockbuster Full Member

Jan 15, 2007
    Yes, but Hearns showed "chicken legs" in his fight with Hagler. Of course he may have broken his hand on Hagler's head, but Hagler really did punish Hearns in their fight. It proved beyond a shadow of a doubt how great Hagler was.

8. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, Hearns needed SRL's wheels so he too could play the part of teacher

:good

9. RoccoMarciano

Jan 15, 2007
    Too bad he didn't have them. The only thing I seen were a couple of shaky legs.

:lol:

10. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005

And speed and skill Marciano would have died for

:good

11. RoccoMarciano

Jan 15, 2007
    And all considered would die for Marciano's punch power..

your point in bringing up Marciano?:smoke

12. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    Hearns hits harder P4P anyways ;)

One good turn deserves another ;)

13. RoccoMarciano

Jan 15, 2007
    And Marciano is irrelevent to this discussion. Of course, some simple minded folk always assume that will get my goat. That asssumption is, quite frankly, laughable.

14. redrooster

redrooster Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 29, 2005
    the usual excuses from a sore loser.

A great brawler will beat a chicken**** runner everytime.

Hagler-Mugabi had it's moments but this fight never would have been as big if not for Hagler's reputation. hagler-Mugabi had its moments but imo went on too long. i mean 11 rounds! No wonder Leonard was in a rush to fight him.

15. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    No sore loser here. Hearns got a pizzling, end of story. I'm not about to go around peeling off 500 word spiels, excuses and fantasies (Ray's secret sessions on a boat with multiple ghosts of a left handed SRR, Ray's retina probs being a bit of dust in the eye, etc) because i can't deal with reality (like you and Sugar Ray) Hell, you even peel off excuses for Hearns vs Leonard just to get at the man but the rot soon changes course on Hagler - Hearns now doesn't it :lol:

God help us if Hearns got the leg massage before the Leonard fight and broke his hand 1st round :lol:

Hey maybe Hearns was 2 ounces off the right weight vs Hagler and this is why he was so fatigued first round :rofl

:hi: