The better overall fighter- James Toney or Floyd Mayweather Jnr

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Kamikaze, Aug 31, 2021.

So?

1. Toney

13.6%
  2. Mayweather

84.1%
  3. They were both equally good fighters

2.3%
  1. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Bye for now! banned Full Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Skills, resume, p4p ect debate it any way you want.

@greynotsoold Id like to hear your input on this.

2. KeedCubano

KeedCubano Read my posts in a Jamaican accent Full Member

Jul 21, 2019
    Mayweather, and I don't think its actually that close.

3. Kamikaze

Oct 12, 2020
    Let’s hear it.

4. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Pounchin powar calculateur Full Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Kassim Ouma deserves a man Sean.

Sangria likes this.
  5. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    There's something very disheartening about fighting Mayweather. The best example of this is Oscar, when he fought Mayweather he was actually jabbing him into some sort of control, but all the while under-weight pre-alleged steroid Mayweather was just peck peck pecking and Oscar just got sort of...miserable with it.

In the second half of the fight he forewent the jab to avoid aspects of the peck and lost the fight. It was just to miserable for him to continue with even a winning strategy. I wonder how Oscar would have got on with Mayweather in his prime?

Even against Maidana in the first fight, Mayweather won all four final rounds on all three judge's scorecards. He's discouraging for people in a way Toney, frankly, isn't. He arguably lost the tenth and twelfth against Tiberi. Against Ruiz, he let the final two rounds slip as Ruiz was able to impact the fight more, not less; Toney sort of deployed himself, and had a great feel for how that was affecting the fighter he was in the ring with, but Mayweather's read of the fight was superior. He had a way of taking control of fights that Toney was not able to replicate.

In the end, losses to Tiberi (probably), Lebedev, Griffith, Thadzi, is always going to come off worse than 0 losses in a wide appraisal. There's nothing unfair about that.

6. Bulldog24

Bulldog24 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 2, 2013
    Mayweather always looked petrified in there, bouncing around like a rabbit and leaning back against ropes.

James Toney stood still with a poker face and you still couldn’t lay a glove on him.

Toney is the superior fighter.

Abysswalker, Flash24, Balder and 3 others like this.
  7. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    I prefers to watch Toney, well at least at the lower weight scale of his career, but Floyd s in a world of his own.

Kamikaze likes this.
  8. Kamikaze

Oct 12, 2020
    Good post dawg

TipNom and McGrain like this.
  9. META5

META5 Active Member Full Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Toney is the superior in "I can lick any sonofabitch in the room" mentality, but Floyd was a superior boxer.

Toney didn't move his feet all the time and with the bending from the waist in the pocket, took punches on the back of the head - combined with countless hours of hard sparring, then his slurred speech is more understandable considering he is supposed to be a defensive master.

Early Floyd didn't look petrified breaking down the likes of Corrales, Burton, Manfredy, Ndou, Gatti etc. - later Floyd was very much a proponent of hit and not get hit and not one to get into unnecessary ego wars in the middle of the ring.

Toney's career is flashes of brilliance mixed with ill discipline and longevity (PED use/cheating on both sides) - with Floyd it feels like he boxed within his ability in the ring. When you then consider his flaunting of money, the Pac saga and things like McGregor and Berto to get to 50 - 0, his business dealings and non-macho style may make some underrate his prowess as a fighter (not saying that you are doing so) - Floyd is genuinely one of the greatest skilled fighters to wear gloves and with his dedication and professionalism of staying in shape and consistency of performance and winningness, he is far above Toney in accomplishment - not necessarily skillset, but he definitely doesn't have the mediocre inconsistency of performance that is levied against Toney.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
    White Bomber and Bokaj like this.
  10. AwardedSteak863

AwardedSteak863 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 16, 2018
    Great post! I'll add that I saw Floyd fight as an amateur a couple of times on the Midwest circuit back in the 90's way way before all the money Mayweather marketing. The guy fought so differently in those days. He was aggressive, hard hitting and literally destroyed all of his opponents. I never met him but he had a reputation as a total gym rat that did nothing but train and fight. He definitely became more defensive minded in the pro's probably in part due to his hand problems.

Jel, White Bomber and McGrain like this.
  11. Philly161

Philly161 "Fundamentals are the crutch of the talentless" Full Member

Oct 25, 2020
    I much prefer to watch Toney but Mayweather was better.

Mayweather was more complete. The both obv had amazing defense and good chins. Neither was a ko artist. But mayweather had better conditioning bc of being more focused and disciplined. And toney was no dummy in there but I give floyd an edge in ring IQ. Guy did what he needed to win rounds and as mentioned above floyd made adjustments and took over fights.

steve1990 and White Bomber like this.
  12. Boxed Ears

Boxed Ears this my daddy's account (RIP daddy) Full Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Toney does what Toney does better than anybody. But Floyd does everybody better than anybody.

13. BCS8

BCS8 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Mayweather, I think.

Toney took the tougher challenges though, and that might be why his career looks like it does. PBF would never have come within sniffing distance of RJJ and you can take that to the bank. Toney's inconsistency also tells against him in the resume stakes.

Loudon likes this.
  14. Bumnard_Hopkins

Bumnard_Hopkins Burger King banned Full Member

Jul 13, 2021
    Mayweather started countering Oscar's jab beautifully.

DLH started gassing from all those missed punches, his jabs got sloppier and as usual FMJ started countering him with his left leads. In the final rounds DLH looked completely hopeless, and Mayweather started hitting him with straight rights.

Kamikaze likes this.
  15. Bulldog24

Bulldog24 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 2, 2013
    Can you imagine Floyd fighting (/equiv) Nunn, R. Johnson and McCallum twice then Barkley all in about a year and a half? Jheez, all belt holders too so at their best. Toney came through it all unbeaten. Him destroying unbeaten Tim Littles would’ve been akin to Floyd demolishing Cotto in 05, then facing Margarito or Paul Williams and winning via one-shot Kayo to match the Prince Charles Williams title defense.

Toney beating Jirov would’ve been like Floyd coming back and beating a peak Kovalev a few years back, toe-to-toe!

Not the same.

Floyd fighting all the big names like Oscar, Gatti, Mosley etc would’ve been like Toney choosing Leonard and Duran over the top middles/super middles he did beat.

Loudon, Sangria and Kamikaze like this.