The biggest (remotely) plausible HW PPV?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by markusmaar, Jun 23, 2007.

1. markusmaar

markusmaar Active Member Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Is it just me, or would (the casual american boxing fan) still be interested enough in Holyfield vs. Tyson III to out-gross any other currently (remotely) plausible HW PPV matchup?

Could any HW match-up of today's champs & contenders even come close?

This though occured to me while watching some old, classic Ali fights.

By the way, before anyone makes a rude comment, I am in no way advocating this match, merely suggesting that the casual american boxing fan would probably find it interesting enough to buy.

Comments?

:deal

2. compukiller

compukiller Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 4, 2006
    NO!

3. rendog67

rendog67 The firestarter Full Member

Apr 27, 2006
    i know it wont happen but

Vitali VS Wladomir would be huge

4. brooklyn1550

brooklyn1550 Roberto Duran Full Member

Mar 4, 2006
    Klitschko vs. Lewis 2
    Klitschko vs. Klitschko

5. markusmaar

Jan 6, 2007
    Wlad vs. Vitali?

:lol::D

That's actually an interesting PPV possibility, and probably the top grossing one possible with today's heavyweights.

Too bad that Wlad vs. Vitali is less plausible than Tyson vs. Holy III.

regards,

Markus

6. nervousxtian

nervousxtian Trolljegeren Full Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Klitschko vs Klitschko would be big.

Lewis coming back vs Vitali would be big.

..sadly.. Tyson vs Holyfield III would draw PPV numbers as well.

Otherwise.. not a damn thing deserves PPV or would draw any kind of numbers.

7. diamondDave

diamondDave Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
    I think that you are absolutely right. Because the mainstream sports media in the US does not effectively cover the sport, and when it does so it focusses on American fighters and controversies ie arrests, drugs.

It is sad because this is not a weak time for the heavyweight division despite what some people keep saying. And several great heavyweight match ups could be made that are far more intriguing than watching over-the-hill fighters like Tyson and Holyfield beat on each other.

8. Jose FM

Jose FM Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 29, 2007
    Klitschko Vs. Klitschko will never happen, as of right now the only HW PPV possibility would be Wlad/ Peter II.

9. Heavyrighthand

Heavyrighthand Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Agree. The division is not nearly as weak as its made out to be. There is alot of good talent fighting right now. :good I think the mainstream media has lost interest in the sport for other reasons, and not due to lack of talent, but more due to lack of the best fighters being put in there together.

That said,.................Of the current top tier fighters, I think the biggest heavy fight to be made would be probably one of the three other titleholders against one of the Klitschkos. A unification AND having a K brother in the fight would probably be the biggest heavy fight to be made, right now.

Aside from that, I'd say Wlad vs. Peter II, assuming Peter beats Oleg would be pretty big............and I also think that the upcoming Wlad vs. Brewster II is gonna do great numbers for HBO. This rematch has been long awaited by alot of fightfans.:good

Personally, I'd love to see Sultan vs. Chagaev, as well.

10. Heavyrighthand

Heavyrighthand Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Or maybe even Bowe vs. Golota III. :good

11. markusmaar

Jan 6, 2007
    Bowe vs. Golota III would be too cruel! Golota simply has Bowe's number.
    There is no denying that people would show some interest in this one.

Bowe vs. Holyfield 4 would also draw some mainstream attention.

Perhaps Bowe could take on Tyson (call is The Match that Should Have Been). That would generate some mainstream media attention too.

Kind of sad, isn't it?

Good thing DLH has kept boxing alive with the mainstream -- it's not too late for boxing to rebuild itself.

Perhaps Holyfield vs. Vitali or Wlad should be added to the biggest potential HW PPV list. A Klitschko beating a Mike Tyson or Holyfield on PPV (or better yet, network television) would probably help elevate them to mainstream status. Though Peter is potentially a killer puncher, he doesn't have the charisma and media attention to become a Tyson/Holyfield PPV draw anytime soon.

Markus

12. Words

Words Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 21, 2007
    yeah there's not too many massive PPV's on the horizon. Hatton - Cotto would be pretty big I reckon they both have strong fanbases, Hatton - DLH the same. Klitschko - Klitschko would be massive, Roy Jones - James Toney at heavweight would be interesting even now also. Joe Calzaghe - Bernard Hopkins if they do well against Kessler and Winky? Other than that, there's not a lot out there.

13. KillerInstinct

KillerInstinct Member Full Member

Aug 13, 2005
    Wlad vs Vitali would EASILY be the easiest PPV to sell among the casual fans. The brother vs brother angle would be brilliant, both guys are always in good shape, and pop in some of the brutal KO's that these two have delivered and bam! Easily one of the most succesfull PPV's ever.

14. Zakman

Zakman ESB's Chinchecker Full Member

Apr 16, 2005
    First of all, you're absolutely right that the public here in the U.S. would go ga-ga over this match, and it would be a HUGE event. Hard-core fans would rightly deplore it, and some of the anti-boxing crowd would use it as an occassion to get on their high-horse, but this match would be BIG.

And, if Holyfield beats Ibragimov, you can virtually COUNT on this fight happening, btw. I'd bet the farm on it.

15. Jaaames

Jaaames Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 16, 2006
    I think an old guy convention could do 200+ maybe....

throw Holyfield, Toney, Golota, Moorer, Morrison, McCall, Sanders, and Bowe on the same card and match em up with the right person, see what numbers that would do...

But I think we're gonna have to wait until one or two unifications until a PPV worthy match is set up....