The boxing equipment thread

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by curly, Apr 24, 2009.

1. ftp1926

ftp1926 New Member Full Member

Oct 3, 2012
    i would like to know your opinion about buying a heavybag for home everyday use.what is the best???

2. Kostertjuh

Kostertjuh New Member Full Member

May 8, 2013
    Just bought myself brand new Green Hill's 16 oz. (tiger). Never heard of the brand, but from what I've read, they're pretty good.

Busted up my knuckle with cheap-*ss 12oz. (and I'm 95 kg, which is like 300 lbs or something) few weeks ago, so I'd figure I had to buy new ones.

3. Kostertjuh

May 8, 2013

I'd only use laces for matches, otherwise it can be a pain in the *ss with training, taking 'em on and off

4. 99problems

99problems New Member Full Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Green Hill are a solid amateur-level (think they provided gear for the olympics back in 2004?) brand. I use the same gloves as you (but in blue) for general workouts in the gym and haven't been let down yet. Only thing I would say is see how you get on with the thumb section - might just be me but it seems to stick out ahead of the knuckles quite a bit so i do get a 'stubbed thumb' effect sometimes...

5. Kostertjuh

May 8, 2013
    Got Lonsdale Cyclones as well, first boots
    Can't wait to go to the gym tomorrow!

6. Kostertjuh

May 8, 2013
    Yeah, I've noticed that. I really have to get used to way larger gloves. Always trained with the same busted up 12 oz. My new Lonsdale boots are amazing though, way faster in the ring!:hammertime: Love them!:thumbsup

7. Big_Evil

Big_Evil New Member Full Member

Oct 3, 2013
    Looking for a cheap 120-150 lbs bag. Any tips?

8. Breeps

Breeps Member Full Member

May 27, 2012
  9. Breeps

Breeps Member Full Member

May 27, 2012
    they're fairtex bgv9's at $19.99 btw

10. zico2010

zico2010 Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Looking at getting a new pair of bag gloves/mitts, when i first started training i bought cheap Londsdale bag mitts but they started coming apart almost immediately and now need replaced after 6 months. Don't mind spending a bit of money to get some quality gloves that will last and protect my hands as ive started to get the odd twinge in my knuckles recently.

Thinking about the Rival RB1 bag gloves for £60, anybody used them, what are the sizez like?

http://rivalboxing.eu/public/site/uploads/370x440_48089a21ff2f9a2c467594f7aac31609.jpg

- http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rival-Boxin...d=1389220207&sr=1-1&keywords=rival+bag+gloves

Not made about the look in terms of the big logo but like the look of the wrist support. Will do a wee review of the Londsdale pair im using till i order some new ones.

11. zico2010

zico2010 Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Londsdale club bag mitts.

http://www.sweatband.com/lonsdale-club-bag-mitts.html

Bought these when i started training. Think it's the 10oz pair though i could be wrong. They were dirt cheap from sports direct but started falling apart after literally a week or so. The plastic liner inside one of the gloves started to rip away from the rest of the inside despite only being used about 10 times and 6 months later they are also beginning to tear at the palm of the hand part.

On the positive side i they are quite comfy, fit well, dont seem to smell or make my hands sweaty, and i havent had many problems with injuring my hands. Have been getting a wee twinge in my knuckles recently but dont think it's down to the gloves. Suppose they'd be a decent option for a beginner, as i was, since if you don't stick at the training they've only cost a few quid.

Effectivenes - 4/5. Don't really have much to compare them to but they did the job.

Style - 2/5. Nothing fancy, look fine. Took a mark off for the inside bursting so quickly though cause it sticks out and looks bad.

Durability 0/5. As i said, started coming apart almost immediately and 6 months later need replaced.

Cost 5/5. Got mine for 7 or 8 quid ($5/$6 i guess) Even though they have very poor durability i still think they are good value, especially for a beginner.

12. VanSparring

VanSparring New Member Full Member

Jan 8, 2014
    There is a new website for amateur and professional fighters looking for sparring partners. This is a great tool to use to build a sparring network. Please check it out abd let me know what you think. You can join for less than $1 with promo code VanSparr. Join now while the prices are low.

13. elchivito

elchivito master betty Full Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Anybody tryout the Black Series Bag/Sparring gloves from Title? Particularly the Blitz? They supposed to be the high end model from Title. I love my Grant's, but the wait is getting longer as time goes by.

14. jas

jas ★ Legends: B-HOP ; PAC ★ Full Member

Jan 14, 2011
    do many people buy a speed bag for home use or you guys just use that at the boxing gym?

i wanna get one to hang up on a wall. any recommendations?

15. elchivito

elchivito master betty Full Member

Sep 27, 2008
    If you have a backyard preferably keep it outside for the reason its very loud. They also have stands for speed bags. Also even in a gym it can get pretty loud with a speedbag so you can imagine the noise you'll make at home. I had one in my apartment and its too loud. I'd suggest just use the one at the gym.