The chinny Lennox Lewis myth

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by williams7383, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Yes, the story is true.

2. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Lewis was floored in the amateurs and stopped there too. Hit thousands of times in the head as a pro? The power punch stats in his fight would disagree if you are talking 4,000+. I bet Wlad was hit even more in his pro career. Ya think he's got good whiskers. So this point is very misleading.

*** Chins are best graded when hit by a chin checking type of punch ***

Video talks. Show me film if possible of Lewis taking shots than land with something on them that were better than the ones who Ko'd him. I see zero. Rahman and Mcall could hit but I would not rate either among boxing 50 all time punching heavies. Therefore anyone who hit harder than these two that lands a similar punch stops Lennox.

While Lewis fought Tua and Morrison, nothing seriously landed. The same for Ruddock and Tyson. And Golota, and Grant.

ticar likes this.
  3. Cecil

Cecil Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 22, 2015
    It seems that some would detract from Lewis because he seemingly had a dodgy chin and didn't allow guys like Tua and Morrison to hit it cleanly.

JohnThomas1 likes this.
  4. ticar

ticar Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Great post, lewis could not take 1% that bowe took in golota fights.

5. Eddie Ezzard

Eddie Ezzard Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Just as well as Golota was only standing for about 1% of the time with Lewis that he stood with Bowe, then. And that 1% was largely spent wide-eyed hoping his protector was waterproof.

Don't let's get started on the comparison between Bowe's chin and Lennox's, either. Rock Newman knew the score on that and kept Bowe away from big hitters. Seeing what a sickly Holyfield did with one punch, not to mention Golota who was an arm puncher, and you can see why.

And if you make excuses like he was old and shot (at 28, 29 years of age) then I will counter that Lewis was unfocussed and complacent when he got knocked down. If other fighters are allowed excuses then Lennox should be afforded the same privilege.

Lennox could claim that as he stood up to some big hitters that he sort of redeemed his chin's reputation to an extent. What's the fight in whch Bowe withstood serious heavyweight bombs that show that it was an anomaly when he got knocked down, comparably to the Holmes-Snipes or Lewis-McCall knockdowns, by an ailing former cruiserweight not known for carrying serious power?

JohnThomas1 likes this.
  6. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    Lewis was stopped once in roughly 100 amateur fights. And you don't think he was hit thousands of times in the head in 150 pro and amateur fights? Lewis was hit in the head with power punches nearly 300 times total IN JUST the Mercer and two Holyfield fights.

Look up your own punchstats and video. All his fights are available.

7. ticar

Dec 7, 2008
    I don't remember bowe being stopped in the pros, yet lewis was starched twice. By bums who never ko'd any good fighter. With a single punch. Disgraceful

8. Eddie Ezzard

Eddie Ezzard Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 19, 2016
    No. Bowe wasn't stopped in the pros. But in an era laden with heavy punchers, these names are conspicuously missing from Bowe's resume and he retired aged 29.

My bet is that, if he had faced these punchers and stuck around a bit longer, then his being knocked down and silly by one punch from a clearly sick Holyfield (who had never been noted for his power at heavyweight) would be very ominous for Bowe's chances of going through his career without the odd stoppage loss.

9. ticar

Dec 7, 2008
    Hahaha mentioning that bowe fought sick holyfield, how about lewis version of holyfield, who was not a half the fighter bowe beat in their first fight... Had no power and lewis still runned and hug like a bitc.h, wearing his trunks up to the chest...

All in all lewis got ktfo twice by bums with a single punch, he's the undisputed champ of china chin of all atg hw champs

10. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Tyson is a very polarising figure. The Heavyweight division seems to make many an avid fan go a lot more cross eyed than the lower ones. Look at the disdain the Klits often cop in here. Everytime their name comes up the thread turns to shyte. Whilst Lewis doesn't cop it (the bias) on that level he does cop it.

For the record you are balanced on the matter as are many more. A great deal aren't tho.

11. Grinder

Grinder Dude, don't call me Dude Full Member

Mar 24, 2005
    Holmes got up from a Shavers bomb.
    Lewis got KTFO with single punches from Rahman and McCall.

Holmes owns LL.

ticar likes this.
  12. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    It doesn't really work like that. Every punch McCall landed did not create the same double impact as the counter punch inside Lewis's own longer right hand. Same with Rahman. Both guys got great connections.

Blame Lewis by all means. he was stood in the wrong place at the wrong time. But saying every guy with a better punch absolutely knocks him out is not exactly fair. They have to create that circumstance.

It is just as possible to say any guy with noted durability would also get knocked out in those two circumstances (because the connection on those two punches was definitely a knockout punch for whom ever received it) as it is to say a better puncher than McCall and Rahman achieves the same thing.

I know one thing about Lewis. He could switch off when he was taking a breather. Perhaps his heights of anticipation relaxed some what at certain parts of a round. It was certainly a very small chink in his armour.

13. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Thanks Chok.

14. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    McCall and Rahman did.

15. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Source?