The chinny Lennox Lewis myth

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by williams7383, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Big Ukrainian

Big Ukrainian Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Well Abajan knocked Lewis down to the head in rd2, then KO'd to the body in the next round in amateurs, so you are wrong buddy

ticar and Mendoza like this.
  2. Big Ukrainian

Jan 10, 2007
    Ruddock certainly didn't land any punches, he was blasted out too quick. Same with Golota.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    ticar likes this.
  3. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    Rahman was highly rated by the WBC and IBF and rated in the top 10 by Ring.

McCall was the WBC #2 contender and rated #6 by RING and was Lennox Lewis' mandatory WBC challenger when he fought Lewis the first time. He wasn't "fringe." He hadn't been off "a year." He was the mandatory.

You're just making stuff up now. Instead of "being inclined to believe" look it up.

Neither was fringe. Both were contenders.

I can't debate with someone who just makes up stuff as they go along.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  4. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Wlad holds the record for a hwy champion not being floored for 10 years. Doesn't mean he has a good chin! He's just become good at protecting it. Lewis is pretty much the same way, except when he held, he used his fists too.

Chins are best graded when hit. Lewis wasn't hit that often, or punished. Such is the luxury of being skilled with the greatest amount of reach. But when Lewis' chin was hit by chin checkers, he went down and out.

If you want to aid Lewis, you could say he fought in the era of punches.

5. Dubblechin

Jun 25, 2014
    I have several times.

6. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    How about Vitali ,how many times did he have Lewis down?

7. Dubblechin

Jun 25, 2014
    Where would you rank Snipes and Kevin Isaac as all-time punchers? Right up there with the very best?

And Bernardo Mercado got off the floor to stop Shavers in Earnie's next fight after Holmes. I don't consider that "proof" that Mercado had a great chin.

I'm not disparaging Holmes' chin. You're disparaging Lennox Lewis' chin. I think their chins are fine. You don't agree about Lennox's chin so any comparison in your mind is apparently a slam on Holmes.

Holmes wasn't chinny. And neither was Lennox Lewis. The only time Lewis got stretched as a pro was when was one of the oldest heavyweight champs in boxing history against a top heavyweight contender ... and he wasted that guy with one punch in the rematch.

8. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Kevin Isaac decked Holmes when Larry was in his 7th pro fight. The Snipes incident was more of a flash knockdown. He got up to win both.. McCall and Rahman stopped Lewis. Big difference and nothing to spin there.

9. Big Ukrainian

Jan 10, 2007
    Zero. Lewis' chin is too good for Vitali's power

ticar likes this.
  10. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Thank you.

Big Ukrainian likes this.
  11. Cecil

Cecil Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 22, 2015
    I don't think there's any way you
    could call that a flash knockdown!

12. KuRuPT

KuRuPT Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 26, 2011
    I wouldn't call it a flash KD either, but he did get up to win, so there's that.

13. mr. magoo

Jan 3, 2007
    He was up by the count of four and continued to finish the round strong. It certainly wasn't anything like Lewis being on ***** Street against Rahman

14. mr. magoo

Jan 3, 2007
    I'm not "disparaging" Lewis's chin. I've said that several times but you've opted not to listen. If your position is that Lennox Lewis had a good chin then I stand with you. If your argument is that his chin was comparable to Holmes then I might disagree but at least it's an argument I can respect. But if your stance is that Lewis's chin was "better" than Holnes then there's no reasonable argument which can harbor such a claim

15. mr. magoo

Jan 3, 2007
    The Aplhabet organizations had Bruce seldom and an ancient Tony Tucker as the #1 and #2 contenders when they fought over a vacant title in 1995. So I take that with a grain of salt. McCall and Rahman were fringe heavyweights and who's careers were almost exclusively remembered for having Lewis in their win columns. Sure that's great for THEM but let's not try to turn that into sounding like some great legacy for Lewis.. As for your claim that McCall wasnt off for a year, fine I'll concede that. He beat Francesco Damiani in the fall of '93 then at the beginning of '94 beat the obscure journeyman Dan Murphy before fighting Lennox later that year..