The Classic BN24 Hall of Legends: Rules, Opinions, Link to the HoF polling threads, 2023 intake chat

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by McGrain, Sep 18, 2022.

1. Noel857

Noel857 I Am Duran Full Member

Mar 24, 2019
    As this thread nears it`s end i would just like to say thank you McGrain for doing this.I have really enjoyed it and it is great seeing other peoples opinions

2. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    We got a whole to go yet fella.

Around the 12th I'll start listing those who have qualified from the Eight Classic.
    Sometime just before or just after that I'll list the Balance of Weightclass list, 105, 108, through to 200 for you guys to nominate from.
    Then around the time that's decided we'll have a Wildcard Induction - one name from the list of guys who barely missed out (and maybe one or two other names).
    Then we actually have to get the HoF thread launched and sorted, which will be the hardest part :lol:

Noel857 and George Crowcroft like this.
  3. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    What's your beef with Charles?

He clearly did FAR more than Patterson at 175; and in general.

Patterson beat a grand total of one light heavyweight ranked in the top ten AT THE TIME. Charles has nine wins over fighters in the nomination category; and FIVE over the guy who beat Patterson. The levels of difference between their achievements is ridiculous, and obviously, you already knew that.

Patterson was a career heavyweight with a brief stint at 175; Charles was a guy who spent his career all over the place and peaked at 175.

That's why he's on the LHW list and Patterson isn't.

4. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    Please don't quote him :lol:

George Crowcroft likes this.
  5. Noel857

Noel857 I Am Duran Full Member

Mar 24, 2019
    That`s great, more head scratching for me :)

6. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    I can't imagine it will be up and running before the year is out.

Noel857 likes this.
  7. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    I just came in here to ask what the heck are we doing with Sam. Thankfully i looked thru every page in here searching for a mention of him :lol:

I'm thinking this post was subtly brushed hahaha

Jel likes this.
  8. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    Sam will 100% be in the HW list. He was literally one spot from being in the LHW selection, if you can imagine the chaos that would have caused, but he's locked into the HW nominees.

Jel and JohnThomas1 like this.
  9. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    My problem with Charles can be summarized in your brief post. You don't play by the same rules when it comes to Charles.

You said Floyd had a brief stint at light heavyweight.
    * Nearly half of Floyd Patterson's wins (26 out of 55) came at light heavyweight.
    * Less than one-third (30 wins) of Ezzard Charles' wins came at light heavyweight.

Yes, Charles beat Moore, Bivins and Marshall.
    * But he never beat Bivins at light heavyweight. In their only fight at light heavyweight, CHARLES LOST. Their other fights were at heavyweight.
    * Charles doesn't have nine light heavyweight wins over those guys. He's 4-2 against them at light heavy ... and, unlike Patterson destroying the reigning champ Moore, Archie hadn't won anything when Charles beat him. And Marshall and Bivins were never the champion.

With Charles, people lump the heavyweight wins in with the light heavyweight wins. But they don't seem to do that with Floyd.

And the guy who won a bad decision over Patterson (Maxim) isn't on the list. But you're holding that against him?

* Charles, by the way, has as many wins over Maxim AT LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT as Patterson does. NONE. All the Maxim-Charles fights were heavyweight fights.

Again, you're including Charles' wins over fighters at heavyweight to boost his light heavyweight accomplishments. But Floyd, NOPE.

Patterson was the number-one light heavyweight contender when he knocked out the reigning light heavyweight champion Moore for the vacant heavyweight title. That fight easily could've taken place at light heavy (and probably should've) if Marciano hadn't retired.

After Patterson demolished Moore, Floyd was removed from the light heavyweight ratings (as he was the heavyweight champion then) but Moore remained the champ at light heavy.

Granted, that was a complicated situation. But how does anyone just blow that off as nothing?

And if we're including "their entire careers in other divisions" ... which the rules say ... how do you dismiss a guy (Patterson) who was the first gold medalist to win a heavyweight title, the youngest to ever win a heavyweight title, or the first man to ever win the heavyweight title twice?

If you score half your wins at light heavyweight, destroy arguably the best light heavyweight on the planet (when he was the light heavyweight champion), win gold, win the heavyweight title twice, become the youngest to ever do it ... how is this being dismissed?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2022
    Rumsfeld likes this.
  10. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    Listen @Dubblechin and @George Crowcroft: there are (i just checked) 50 million threads debating the ATG standing of Charles and Patterson on this forum. Pick one and discuss this problem there.

George, you called Dubblechin out and he's had his right to reply. Any other posts about this subject in this thread (or any other HoF threads) will be removed.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  11. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    I just want to add, sincerely, that anyone running around in here or the vote threads moaning and whining and undermining shouldn't even have their posts allowed to stand unless they have been taking part in the vote!

You've got to pay to play.

12. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Props to @McGrain for all the time and effort put into this thread and the divisional lists.

It takes a lot of thought and consideration and management to do these and it’s for those precise reasons I’ve never attempted anything similar myself because I’m a lazy *******!

But I love taking part in them.

13. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    Amen to that.

Jel likes this.
  14. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    Right all, that's the 8 original up.

They are due for completion around the 14th of October assuming we don't get any tiebreaks in which case I'll add another week (in another thread).

Then we'll have a longlist for Balance of Weight Class.

15. Journeyman92

Journeyman92 I’m become seeker of milk Full Member

Sep 22, 2021
    Instructions not clear. Evander Holyfield 1984-1999?