The curious case of Jersey Joe Walcott and his prime.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by JohnThomas1, Jan 18, 2020.

1. KasimirKid

KasimirKid Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 1, 2018
    The pictures in conjunction with the wire service caption are conclusive., IMO.

mrkoolkevin likes this.
  2. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Fair enough.

3. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    That is just the point though, it isn't!

There is a huge gulf between his pre and post war performance, relative to the contemporary competition, that has to be explained somehow.

If you fall back on the above explanation, then the ramifications are huge!

4. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    There obviously wasn't so much difference, that a third rate contender before the war, was superior to the champion after the war.

In order to believe that, you would have to regard the pre war era, as being the strongest in the divisions history!

5. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    He was 34-11-1 up to the end of 1945.

He was 16-9-1 from 1946 onward.

Where lies this huge gulf?

6. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    An interesting thread would be fighters that had their best prime vs those who felt with less fortunate circumstances .. Walcott's career peaked past his physical prime .. no doubt about that .. very few fighters are lucky enough to be guided out of the gate protected and provided for .. very few .. that's why going off the record book without studying the career is half baked ..

janitor and George Crowcroft like this.
  7. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    Rather obviously in the quality of the men that Walcott was losing to over those respective periods, and indeed the level that he was operating at in the division!

Pedro_El_Chef likes this.
  8. klompton2

klompton2 Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Feb 10, 2013
    Whats half baked is throwing out the record book (i.e. a fighters ACTUAL accomplishments) in favor of giving weighted credence to what you THINK he MIGHT have achieved had all of the stars aligned for him. We can play that game with anyone which is why we go by actual results.

choklab likes this.
  9. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    And old Louis? A lightheavy Charles? An overachieving swingforthefences slugger?

OK, yeah, his winning percentage was halved post 1945. Doesn't that accurately match his supposed increase in competition?

He was always the same journeyman. Nothing changed. Stop whistling your silly tune when the facts are a deafening chorus.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  10. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    I am not making excuses, because what I am going to say goes for all boxers. Matchmaking will get any great fighter beaten at the right time.

Trainers and boxing people of the day ideally probably would knowingly steer a fighter away from these kinds of guys at the point Walcott fought them. People in the know would know how much a fighter has left. If he’s been in the gym. How good he looked last time out. Without this you can get anyone beat.

When a heavily invested in prospect has a team around him like Joe Louis did he was able to get the perfect balance of opponents on the way up one after the other. Don’t get me wrong, Louis fought some excellent men on the way. Some I don’t think Joe Louis gets the proper credit for. Charlie Retzlaf, Jack kranz, Al Ettore, Adolf Wiater, patsy peroni and Roy Lazar are overlooked winners who can upset an applecart if the previous opposition had not been perfect.

Being a full time boxer with the backing of a team around them is worth a magnitude to any fighter. That’s how fighters wind up being great. Blind talent is never enough.

I am very suspicious of full time fighters who make it big without serious backing because I don’t think it is possible. And I include Marciano in this. We know he hooked up with Wiell who was matchmaking from a distance but it has never been clear who was actually supporting him and his chum Allie Columbo especially early on when the purses were small.

11. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    This is just postulating hypothetical claptrap, manufacturing excuses for a man dropping fights he was expected to win,

12. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    No it isn’t an excuse. I believe all the men who beat Walcott were good enough to beat walcott because they were good fighters. I’m just saying all fighters will lose fights, even great ones, if they don’t have backing or if they get too good a fighter to face at the wrong time. It dosnt mean I am overlooking the defeats or excuse them.

Abe Simon beat Walcott but he’s not going to do as well against Joe Louis as Walcott did.

13. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    That’s Not unreasonable. I can accept that. I can’t find the quote but I remember Max Baer being asked what he thought of the new champion Jersey Joe Walcott. Max was nonplussed because to him it showed how boxing had declined because he used to knock Walcott out back when joe had been Baer’s sparring partner as a youngster.

Unforgiven likes this.
  14. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Walcott fought a 5 & 6 years older Louis who had lost years to the War ,Simon fought a pretty much still prime Brown Bomber in41 & 42.

15. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    It is quite frustrating to have to explain basic information about the era to you, and argue with you about it at the same time

In the pre war era Joe Walcott was never close to being a contender, he never beat a contender, he lost to a number of men who were not contenders, and it is debatable whether he even fought a contender!

The post war Joe Walcott practically cleaned out the top ten before he even fought for a title, became a lineal heavyweight champion, and established himself as one of the most dominant contenders of all time.

If you cannot see the difference in the levels that he was performing at pre and post war, then you fundamentally don't understand the eras!