The current Heavyweight division, is it really that bad?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Infern0121, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Infern0121

Infern0121 Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Jan 21, 2018
    Or is it just always the same with fans never being satisfied?

I remember in the 90s people complaining that Holyfield was an old blown up cruiser. Bowe had no heart, Lewis had no chin and Tyson had no brain.

Of course in hindsight we know the 90s wasn't some weird reunion of the cast of wizard of oz but in fact a stacked division.

What you think of current division

Camaris likes this.
  2. tdf1974

tdf1974 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I remember the 90s but dont remember anyone complaining about it?...the only gripe was Lewis and Bowe didnt fight,...

All them boxers you mention would beat all the heavyweights now at their peak imo

GordonGarner65 likes this.
  3. Infern0121

Jan 21, 2018
    Ill find a load of reports later

Plaza and mark ant like this.
  4. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Tyson wasn`t that good after Rooney left and after his second fight with Ruddock critics were debating whether he was shot. Holyfield was critisczed because at times he struggled vs Foreman who a massive underdog and Holmes, people said he took these fights because he wouldn`t fight live younger contenders and that he had no charisma, he also got knocked down by a bum like Bert Cooper and was in bad trouble in that fight. Bowe was considered a coward for not fighting Lewis and going on to fight two bums and then fought Holy only because he had already beaten him, but it backfired because of his weight problems, another topic that people discussed at that time, Bowe kept coming in overweight. Lewis`s career was in tatters after losing to an unknown in the form of the dreadful McCall he was considered just a sparring partner for Tyson, after Lewis slowly redeemed himself. Moorer`s win over Holy was considered crappy with hardly any action and Holy fought strange because of his heart condition.

Devon Dog and Infern0121 like this.
  5. Devon Dog

Devon Dog Member Full Member

Dec 29, 2017
    I was quite lucky to remember the 70s( but I would rather be 20 now ) The golden era of boxing so called !

I will say that I dont think the so called greats were that great The more time goes on the more we forget the flaws and highlight the good times !
    I will use the rumble in the jungle as an example. Ali hanging off the ropes is regarded as pure genius but would a Tyson, Klichko or Lennnox Lewis throw punches all night until they could not even stand up . No they would back off and look to the later rounds

The 90s were a bit odd but I think we are more judgmental about todays fighter due to social media and they cant hide anything

6. Infern0121

Jan 21, 2018
    Yup. And that's just some of it.

People in the 90s thought their era was trash and wished for the good old days

7. Gomo

Gomo Active Member Full Member

Apr 1, 2018
    I think it's a great era for hw boxing.

The level of fighters might not be as high as the 90s but the tip 10 are all solid fighters who for the most part are all capable of beating each other... there's loads of interesting matchups, lots of 50/50 fight amongst the top ten, a lot of characters and some great prospects coming through.

After the Klitschko one man era we've just had it's a breathe of fresh air.

williams7383 and Scissors like this.
  8. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    During the era, whatever the era, there will always be more critics calling it the"weakest ever" than singing its praises.

Then approximately 20 years after an era has occured, then we get a more balanced and unemotional appraisal. The 1970s era has reached peak tardation status in terms of people over rating the fighters, and ignoring all the flaws and the dodgy goings on.

Finally Lennox Lewis is getting his just praise as its now 15 years since his last fight, and that era had a definate end point when he retired.

Its going to be 15-20 years until Wlad Klitschko gets his just praise. For being 10 years undefeated as undisputed HW champion- its guaranteed that his era will be rated very highly. Despite the widespread hate he gets now.

Twentyman and Potwash like this.
  9. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    I just find Heavyweights generally pretty boring. These days they are just huge plodders with a basic skill set.

Compare that to most, if not all the other weights and it's night and day.

YearZero likes this.
  10. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Yes it is the worst ever post Klitschko era with even very poor and very average fighters holding belts such a Chuck Martin and Josephine Parker.

Even worse is chancers such as Hughie 'Le Skirt' Fury and Takam types get a World Title Fight.

Now we have average British Heavyweight fighters such as Dullian Whyte, Dull Boy Pakora and very poor British Heavweight fighters Toni Bellew and Toe fleecing the mugs for PPV money now.

Yes it is absolute pony with the ONLY decent fight out there being Tony Dosh v Wilder.

11. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Pudding Chisora a classic example

12. Infern0121

Jan 21, 2018
    Damn.

Thats ****ed up

13. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    This to be honest. You ask 10 of us on here for their top 10 and they’d all be different. More than Likely Joshua and Wilder occupy the top spots, some might include Fury as 1 or 2. Then the following 8 could be 15 different fighters in any different order.

tdf1974 likes this.
  14. BoxingMadMan

BoxingMadMan New Member Full Member

Jan 2, 2018
    This content is protected

15. GordonGarner65

GordonGarner65 Active Member Full Member

Nov 12, 2016
    Yes whereas in the 70's they met at or around their peak, in the 90's they didn't, which therefore failed to define the era.