The E. Griffith, L. Rodriguez, C.Cokes, Mgr. "triangle" now closed

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Longhhorn71, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Longhhorn71

Longhhorn71 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    The three outstanding boxing managers/trainers, Angie Dundee (L. Rodriguez), Gil Clancy (E. Griffith), and Doug Lord (Curtis Cokes), have now all passed on.

My friend Doug Lord passed away on Feb. 23, 2018, at the age of 90 years old.

Luis Rodriguez fought Griffith many times, and Cokes 3 times. Although, Cokes never fought Griffith, the fight was attempted to be made several times at welter, but unfortunately was never made for some reason or other.

The 3 managers were friends, and would work in each other's corners if his "friend" need a cutman, or help in one of his friend's fights.

I spent a lot of time talking with my friend Doug Lord, regarding the great Welterweight era of the 60's, including the Napoles fights, and the legends of the great welters/other fighters from CA, Philly, Miami, New Orleans, and the New York City era.

Joe E, Fergy, FrankinDallas and 5 others like this.
  2. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Sorry to hear about that Longhhorn! R.I.P.

3. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    RIP Doug Lord.

The WW division of the 60s was blessed with some truly outstanding fighters. It's a shame Cokes and Griffith never met. Be interested to see people's views on that fight had it happened.

Russell and red cobra like this.
  4. The Morlocks

The Morlocks Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 21, 2009
    A nice tribute. I would take Rodriguez all day over Leonard and Hearns.

red cobra likes this.
  5. The Morlocks

The Morlocks Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Cleburne and Port Neches was where

6. red cobra

Jul 28, 2004
    I think Griffith would have narrowly decisioned Cokes...maybe a rematch would be avenged by decision by Cokes, who knows?

7. red cobra

Jul 28, 2004
    I would too...I would also take Griffith over them too.

The Morlocks likes this.
  8. Russell

Russell VIP Member Full Member

Apr 1, 2007
    Terrific post longhorn... I'm sorry to hear about your friend. It sounds like he lived a full and complete life, and that's about as much as any of us can aspire to.

9. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    http://www.cyberboxingzone.com/blog/?p=15989

Longhorn, here is an interview with Curtis Cokes. He doesn't seem to dwell much on Doug Lord, but he stayed with him his whole career, so obviously a great respect for him. Hope it brings back memories of the era for you.

10. Longhhorn71

Jan 6, 2007
    Thanks compadre. Excellent article.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  11. Joe E

Joe E Well-Known Member Full Member

May 12, 2007
    Whats new, Horn?

12. Longhhorn71

Jan 6, 2007
    A few years older...but great to hear from you.
    Maybe Big D will get an important fight over in JerryWorld in the
    near future. DFW thought the GGG vs Canelo rematch might occur here.
    But it won't. And who is that in your Avatar (Stormy D?)

13. Joe E

Joe E Well-Known Member Full Member

May 12, 2007
    Good to hear from you. Yeah, it's been a while. That's Ingrid Pitt. A Hammer Horror beauty. I'd post up some nudes but you know how it is...;)

Longhhorn71 likes this.
  14. naf728

naf728 New Member Full Member

Oct 5, 2014
    I’m certain that Griffith would have beaten Cokes, without a doubt. Although Cokes was an outstanding fighter, Griffith was an all-time great. I’ve always said that Emille was one of the most underrated fighters ever.

greynotsoold likes this.
  15. naf728

naf728 New Member Full Member

Oct 5, 2014
    I saw an interview of Angelo Dundee and he was asked about a Luis Rodriguez-Sugar Ray Leonard fight. Dundee stated that as great as Leonard was, he would have to be at his BEST to have a chance to beat Rodriguez. I was at The Garden in New York when Rodriguez dominated Rubin “Hurricane” Carter, a fierce puncher that no one wanted to fight. Rodriguez was a Welterweight & Carter a Middleweight. Rodriguez cleaned up the top Middleweights of that period, and even beat a Light Heavyweight named “Rocky” Rivero of Argentina. Rodriguez was not concerned about being outweighed. He was outstanding.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018