The end of my amateur career?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by CHAL_DIESEL, Jul 20, 2013.

1. CHAL_DIESEL

CHAL_DIESEL GOAT Full Member

Mar 18, 2011
    Whats up everyone. Got a few questions about what may be the end of boxing for me. As it stands I am 26, have eight fights ,5-3 record not the best I know, but I am still improving. I am in the U.S. Navy, and after much deliberation I have decided to take a new set of orders and reenlist for five years. For roughly 2 years of them orders I will be in schooling, so continuing boxing probably will not be an issue, however after those two years I start a rough sea duty that will most likely have me deployed in four month shifts. So for four months I will be on deployment, and four months I will be home. The thing is though, at times I am a bit of a spaz, and sparring 2-3 times a week really does take the edge off. I am a little worried that this is the end of the line for me, but it is a decision that I need to make for my wife and my sons. Would it be possible to keep on boxing, or does it sound like this guy has met the end of the line? I appreciate all feedback.:bbb

2. greynotsoold

greynotsoold Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 17, 2011
    If you love doing it, you'll find a way. You have two more years, right? Keep at it and then see how it feels. If it is still something you want to do, when you come back from your tour, get back in the gym. As somebody who was in and out of the gym for years, that first time getting hit in the face is always a special 'welcome home.'

3. captain hook

captain hook Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 11, 2011
    you can spar and train on a boat maybe.. you`ll see

4. dreamchamp

dreamchamp Member Full Member

Feb 17, 2012
  5. CHAL_DIESEL

CHAL_DIESEL GOAT Full Member

Mar 18, 2011
    I really hope so. Keeping my fingers crossed

6. TVLPC

TVLPC Member Full Member

Jan 16, 2011
    Yeah, don't overthink it. Worry about it when the time comes.

7. beast boxer

beast boxer Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 2, 2013
    just keep at it untill you go then see what you feel like see how much time you've got, and if you still like boxing and want to continue i'm sure you'l be able to find the time even if you don't have enough time to train properly you could still do a bit like sparring and that.

8. TERRYTIBBS

TERRYTIBBS Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 11, 2013
    dont worry too much because the anxiety will ruin the next two years where you need to work hard!

9. Ipay4leavingNot

Ipay4leavingNot Active Member Full Member

Jun 30, 2013
    Anyone who wants to do something comes up with a way to do it. And anyone who doesn't want to do something comes up with excuses not to. there are people who parents are judges and doctors and they cannot graduate from an associate degree. Then there are people who have to go to work, just to go to school, and work under a street pole because they have no lights in their house. If you really want to box, you'll find a way, it might be hard but you'll find it.

10. freddieMaize

freddieMaize Active Member Full Member

Jun 13, 2011
    Dude, 2 years is a long time.