The ESPN Friday Night Fights Thread.

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by jpab19, Dec 29, 2011.

1. jpab19

jpab19 Exploding Muffin Dad Full Member

Jul 8, 2010
    This content is protected

Hello Sports Fans,

It's been a rather arduous period of boxing-related nothingness for almost every Friday in the last few months since Demetrius Andrade closed the FNF's season with his unanimous decision win against Grady Brewer(that was the season finale wasn't it? Almost certain it was). Thankfully ESPN's season is starting back up next week for nine months of consistently even(relatively, and on paper) main events with it's inaugral 2012 card being headlined by the prospect vs prospect clash between Dyah Davis and Alfonso Lopez.

Teddy ''Anology'' Atlas returns with his sidekick Joe Tessitore, no doubt providing him with the kind of analysis that leaves poor Joe befuddled on a regular basis. Unfortunately studio presenter - and outside of the ring rival of Floyd Mayweather - Brian Kenny has departed for some other sport which can only be considered as primitive(baseball or something like that), being replaced by Bernado Osuna, rather than who it was seemingly likely to be, former WWE heel Jonathan ''The Coach'' Coachman.:lol::verysad

That aside there's going to be plenty to look forward to(schedule in post below), with a variety of fighters, be they prospects, old-timers, or guys with stalled careers looking to establish(or re-establish) themselves at the top level.

I'm not quite sure what this thread is exactly, as far as I'm concerned it'll cover a broad spectrum of all things Friday Night Fights related. There's very rarely much talk about it 'round here, and when there is it's often scattered about with no real discussion taking place. Rather than starting a RBR every week we can confine it to here, as well as that preview/review every fight over the course of the season and recount shows and match-ups from previous years. Basically whatever you want that'll stop this thread from failing miserably, as I only know of about 4 people who watch it regularly.:?

We've had fighters who have become ESPN staples down the years, the likes of Manny Augustus, Edner Cherry, Antwone Smith, Steve Forbes etc. Hopefully not every fight who acheives a modicum of success will jump ship in search of bigger things from HBO or Showtime right away, and we can get similar figures born out of this season(and hopefully Smith and Cherry will be back at some point).

As our resident analyst Slip said:

:ibutt

2. jpab19

Jul 8, 2010

January 6th

Dyah
    def. Alfonso Lopez
    UD 10

January 13th

Teon Kennedy

January 27th

Ruslan Provodnikov
    -

3. SportsLeader

SportsLeader Chilling Full Member

May 29, 2010
    I see Szpilka is returning against a fairly risky opponent in February, after nearly getting James Kirkland-ed in his last outing.

Good line up all round, could be better, but there's enough competitive match ups to keep me happy.

Can't wait for Kennedy/Martin.

4. royalt0208

royalt0208 Boxing Addict Full Member

May 1, 2009
    I love FnF it is the best Boxing Series at the moment, if only it was on Box Nation I would happily stay up or wake up to it. Looking at the schedule there are lots of good fights there and most of them are proper cross road fights which are my favourite type of fight, **** Pacquiao and Mayweather I am for more interest in Burgos-Cruz :yep.

A few more fights have been provisionally announced for FNF Wach-Fields and I have a feeling that BJ Flores has something lined up cannot remember though.

5. jpab19

Jul 8, 2010
    There's a few of last season's full cards on YouTube if anyone's interested:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaJRKFmnn-U[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJp5PT1LJxc[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gCYh9O9Ero[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk7E-dYRIUY&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4FYQXzZ1og&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5TqZ3HzQrk&feature=related[/ame]

I've been watching as much of Davis and Lopez as I've been able to in the last few days, which isn't an awful lot. Interesting match I think, though it probably won't be extremely entertaining, might do a small build-up sort of thing in a few days when I watch a bit more.

6. slip&counter

slip&counter Gimme some X's and O's Full Member

Jul 23, 2008
    :happy Great thread, J. This is ganna be fun and people should get on board. You do realise though, J that you've put a lot of pressure on your young, but not inconsiderably broad shoulders by starting this...;)

I hereby announce you officially the chairman of this FNF's board.

There is nothing like having a cold beverage in your hand at an ungodly hour, watching an episode of FNF's. Chiming in with the crew on Brit ESB.

Last season was stella and from that early sneak peek at the schedule, 2012 looks to be even better.

Davis is a good fighter, i remember he upset Marcus Johnson on Shobox (say it quitely that's our rival) IIRC. Lopez also put up a great effort against Kelly "blame it on the staph, blame it on the Henny, blame it on the ah al alcohol" Pavlik. So two trial horses in a competitive race. Can't wait for that one.

The other one which sticks out for me, is the return of probabily my FNF stable favourite (apart from the Cherry Bomb and 2lbs impersonator Antwone Fisher...erm i mean Smith, lol). And that's Ruslan Plodding Provodnikov.

Someone who falls into what i call the anti science approach, in fact he's the president of that company, but is ALWAYS fun to watch nonetheless. He always grits his teeth and tries to steamroll everybody. A perfect fighter for this show.

Ruslan is a fiesty, saucy little fighter with non-existent defence and misplaced confidence. We could all write a thesis on his flaws, but boy does he come to fight.

I think I read where fiesty Ruslan is going back to his roots and incorporating a lot of his martial arts childhood back in his offense on this assault and attempt to steal our award (one we will surely give out for Friday Night fighter of the year) and that's i.e. train the mind to punch 6 inches past the object which is how you break boards, cement blocks etc.

How much that's ganna help saucy little Prod remains to be seen. lol But one has to admire his dedication and ambition to succeed. Good luck Proddy. I'll be rooting for ya.

Btw, i hope the upper class fellas on here, those who only watch the top fights and look down on boxing degenerates like us. Don't come on here spreading that hateraide in the building and raining on our parade, LOL!

I hope we get very intelligent commentary from all the classy guys and hope plenty will join us on this ride (they say the best soldiers are volunteers, so i won't call anyone's name out).

I hope when guys like Ruslan Prod and Hoon Kim are about to do their thing, everyone will come out blazing and not act like no other fighters get embarrassed by old froggy's or get aired out by young hams and eggs...AND as if non FN fighters don't eat a fat piece of humble pie or non have tasted Motor City check hooks, straight left typhoons from the south pacific or uppercuts from the Mexican mountains.

The FNF's thread is officially open for businness! :happy:bbb:partytime:party

7. BoxingAnalyst

BoxingAnalyst Obsessed with Boxing banned

Apr 24, 2011
    Top notch thread Pab. Some good little match ups. Looking forward to 2012.

8. achillesthegreat

achillesthegreat FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
    I got ESPN for UFC, MMA Live and FNF. Don't know where MMA Live has disappeared too but so glad FNF is back.

9. jpab19

Jul 8, 2010
    :lol: Appreciated, Slip. Though if you think that I have some kind of challenge on my hands with regards to being the CEO here, then you are significantly underrating the amount of time on my hands.:lol:

Come Monday, every day for the next nine months or so you lot will see this thread continually bumped for previewing, viewing, and then reviewing Friday's action. Then after a three month sabatical, rinse and repeat the same thing.

Hopefully more people will get on board or at least let their voices be known, there was literally two people I could discuss last season's FNF's with, we need reinforcements.:deal

Hopefully we'll see Badou Jack again too, I like the look of that guy.

10. achillesthegreat

achillesthegreat FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
    FNF is good quality and usually has some pretty good fights. Good analysis, good production, good fights, good names etc Can't go wrong. Every Friday, better than the shite we deal with here!

11. roe

roe Guest

Good stuff Pabs :good

I saw Dyah Davis fight Hastings Rasani a few years ago. He didn't stand out much though I just remember the name.

12. ishy

ishy VIP Member Full Member

Mar 9, 2008
    Great thread Jpabby :good

Quite a few of the Brit forum crowd stay up for FNF (I occasionally do) but there's not really being a place to discuss it till date.

Hopefully this thread changes that :happy

13. jpab19

Jul 8, 2010
    Can you remember anything of the performance? Can't say I've seen it myself, and the amount of Dyah I've seen is limited, any input from yourself or anyone else who's seen it would be highly appreciated.
    Yeah, like I said, I knew of very little people who also watched it, but mostly because nobody really discussed it. I discussed it live in the Choi with LHL and SportsLeader for the last few installments of last season and wasn't sure who else watched it. Then Slip informed me of how much an enthusiast he is and that guys like yourself often tuned in too, I wondered where you lot had been!

Just thought this would help gather those who do watch it pretty religiously. One of the plus points of me being too poor to go out regularly I suppose.:yep

14. sportofkings

sportofkings Boxing Junkie banned

Jul 21, 2010
    Last season was ****ing class. On every telecast there was at least one excellent barnbuner of a fight, and FNF gave plenty of exposure to young pospects so im really looking foward to the new season.

15. Bajingo

Bajingo Boxing Junkie banned

Nov 15, 2009
    I normally watch FNF the next day, but maybe that's because it wasn't really discussed here. This thread should be good, good idea