The fall out

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by "DJ", May 28, 2009.


  1. IrnBruMan

    IrnBruMan Obsessed with Boxing banned

    16,385
    1
    Apr 8, 2006
    Alright!

    Suddenly I'm interested! :lol:
     
  2. Francis75

    Francis75 FAB 4 Full Member

    14,558
    3,151
    Oct 1, 2007
    There empty promises though. No way will he step up and fight the genuine top 3 at 160. No ****ing way.
     
  3. pecks

    pecks ***** Full Member

    13,486
    1
    Feb 26, 2005
    Step back in time folks...

    http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/05/03/1083436546388.html

    The taunts have grown tiresome, the jeers disheartening. So much so that Anthony Mundine, once seemingly impervious to criticism, may relocate to North America or Europe after tomorrow night's WBA super-middleweight world title defence against Manny Siaca, leaving Australia to further his professional career.
    According to Mundine's father, Tony, the footballer-cum-boxer is weary of constant criticism from the Australian public. That, coupled with the prospect of more lucrative fight purses abroad, has prompted him to contemplate a shift to the northern hemisphere. The Siaca bout could be his last in Australia.
    "All the Australian public want to do is knock the local boys and girls in sports," Mundine snr said. "It's sad in a way. There are a lot of great sportsmen in Australia that the public never get behind, and that goes for Anthony, too.
    "People all over the world want Anthony. He's a drawcard. This could be his last fight in Australia . . . you've got to go where the money is. He could even be based in Europe or the US, you never know. A lot of top sportsmen in Australia go overseas."
    Advertisement <script language='JavaScript1.1' src='http://campaigns.f2.com.au/js.ng/cat=sport&Params.richmedia=yes&site=smh&adspace=300x250'></script>
    This content is protected
    Advertisement
    Tony Mundine's comments came as his son entered final preparation for fighting Siaca, a powerful Puerto Rican rated 5-2 for the Sydney Entertainment Centre contest. Mundine was quoted at 1-4 yesterday, despite carrying an ankle injury that, at one stage, forced promoters to consider postponing the fight.
    Victory would almost certainly ensure Mundine's future - at least temporarily - lay abroad, Tony said. And the prospect of a super-middleweight match-up with Danny Green would do nothing to encourage him to return.
    "Green is a nobody; the fight will never happen," said Tony, who has trained his son throughout his boxing career. "We don't have to fight Green. There's more money fighting other people. The interest overseas is enormous. We might be gone for quite a while at least."
    While Mundine completed pad-work at his father's Eveleigh Street gym last night, Siaca rounded out preparations at Kostya Tszyu's academy in Rockdale yesterday.
    Mundine was unavailable for comment. Siaca said little. But given the fighters' comments last week - including the Puerto Rican's contention that Mundine "ran" from opponents - today's weigh-in alone will be intriguing.
    A win over the highly respected Siaca would give credence to Mundine's pledge to unify the super-middleweight division. For Siaca, victory would be a reward for a career defined by persistence, the 28-year-old having lost three world title bouts - two on points and one in the 12th round.
    When asked last night for a prediction, Siaca remained coy. "I came here to bring the belt to Puerto Rico," he said. "I just want to fight."
    Tony Mundine was more forthcoming. "Anthony is training well, he has recovered well from the ankle," he said. "He'll keep winning and there'll be more and more opportunities."
    And those opportunities, promoter Khoder Nasser confirmed, will likely take Mundine overseas.
    Though hesitant to say whether the shift abroad would be permanent, Nasser was adamant his client "isn't expected to fight again in Sydney for a long time". He added: "[Mundine] always said he was about conquering the world. I'd say after this fight he won't be back for a year, minimum. He's about to take the next step."
    Mundine's potential farewell to Australia could draw around 6000 spectators to the Entertainment Centre, with footballers, media personalities and the members of Cold Chisel among the A-listers expected to attend.
     
  4. COULDHAVEBEEN

    COULDHAVEBEEN Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

    18,776
    16
    Jul 10, 2007
    Just when you thought they couldn't sound any sillier a gem like this shows it's ugly head.

    Hilarious stuff Pecks!
     
  5. ashley

    ashley Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

    24,140
    0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Let me tell you a fact....you will know the guy that won because the official will call out his name.....now lets rewind the fight......here it is......"and NEW IBO MW CHAMPION OF THE WORLD ANTHONY MUNDINE"....now just to make sure I am right I have the paper here as well......ok back page......."3 TIME WORLD CHAMP ANTHONY MUNDINE"

    Well Marcus it looks as if your the one lying to yourself :yep
     
  6. LeonMcS

    LeonMcS The Mayor of Kronkton Full Member

    12,142
    4
    Aug 26, 2007
    Did Brad Walter write that?
     
  7. ashley

    ashley Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

    24,140
    0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Hey Leon....I was thinking of giving away a free copy of the Mundine world title fight to the winner of the official one day tipping comp....any chance of a copy of the fight ?:bowdown
     
  8. LeonMcS

    LeonMcS The Mayor of Kronkton Full Member

    12,142
    4
    Aug 26, 2007
    So thats two copies of the fight you've given away today on my behalf...any more?
     
  9. ashley

    ashley Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

    24,140
    0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Well yes....ummm maybe a tie for the oneday tipping comp.....and umm I would love a copy of Mundines epic win as well.

    Let me do this :adminin advance for you....just think about your contribution to the ESB forum.....and let me know how much $ you need?

    Just think with the punch stats we can put the Geale loss to rest and bring the heart rate and blood pressure of Marcus back down to earth.

    Cheers....love your work
     
  10. T.C.W

    T.C.W Boxing Junkie Full Member

    10,016
    1,227
    Jul 20, 2004
    telegraph hates mundine, I get the paper daily and in past they would not even print stories about mundine fights because he would give them press passes to the fights because all the negative things they say about him, it is tit for tac type of thing. The fight was close everybody here knows it, only haters will say geale was robbed.
     
  11. calebt

    calebt New Member Full Member

    52
    0
    May 22, 2009
    The Daily Telegraph is a joke, it's like Australia's version of Fox News wrapped up in some juicy gossip tabloid, they're full of **** and half of their readers have the IQ of a rock.
     
  12. stiflers mum

    stiflers mum Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

    22,520
    787
    Aug 9, 2005
    great find pecks.but the fact he won this time and there are zero interesting fights for him here makes me think he might do it this time as he is not getting any younger.then again this is mundine were talking about.
     
  13. Rodin

    Rodin Well-Known Member Full Member

    2,529
    1
    Aug 19, 2008
    Did anyone notice that Marcus McConnell was not a judge at that fight?

    Perhaps they meant Marcus McDonell.

    "**** getting the name right, let's git to the juicy stuff"

    That rag is good for one thing, weed controll.