The fatter Ruiz is, the better he does

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by bluebird, Nov 24, 2019.

1. bluebird

bluebird Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 17, 2009
    https://boxrec.com/en/proboxer/489762

Look at his weight and record. Most of his decisions came when he was in his 240s lbs weight wise, and big KOs came at 260+ lbs.

There's definitely a small correlation between weight and KOs.

2. Entaowed

Entaowed Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Dec 16, 2012
    So he may well do better when he is relatively heavy.
    But besides that you said it was a small correlation, even if it is significant that he does better in the 240's-fairly fat when he is not muscular for a HW, & his real height may be 6'...
    That does not mean that your claim in the thread title is correct. That being even larger is superior.

You do not have much of a sample size when Ruiz was ~ 268 as against AJ.
    Nothing that can support an argument that bigger is better for him.
    And if your theory was correct, then perhaps he would still improve when he is even larger.
    300 lbs., he never gets dropped & somehow beats everyone.
    350, he stops more people early.
    400, he KOs everyone & no fight is close.
    500, nobody gets beyond 3 rounds.
    600, He never loses a round.
    700, nobody ever lands anything flush on him & all fights are done in 1 round.
    800, no reincarnated ATG could ever avoid being KOed by him.
    900, all ATGs are smoked in a round absent landing anything meaningful.
    1000 lbs., or some amount over that, he defeats & dominates increasingly large combinations of ATGs fought in combinations.
    2000/one ton, no amount of men fighting him together can ever win.
    5000? Give them weapons, at least short knives, he still emerges victorious.
    10,000/5 tons, throw in broadswords, spears, bludgeons...He wins.
    100,000/50 tons, the firearms they are free to choose from are also of no avail.

Obviously I am massively exaggerating for effect (& for fun), but this illustrates my challenge to your supposition.

I do believe Ruiz is likely better somewhat overweight.
    But that he smoked one fighter near 270 does not mean he might not be better-in moving well & faster, & especially endurance in a longer fight -if he was more like 235. 240's is close to that.
    My exchange with someone in another thread below shows how much & why. Your feedback is most welcome. :)

Kiwi_in_America said:
    Some HWs fight better heavy
    Who fights better how heavy?
    I like Ruiz & he is skilled & tough. But why would he not likely be better if he lost weight slowly & fought around 235?
    He would still be overweight. He likely was @ 35% bodyfat against Joshua.
    He would move at least his feet faster & have better endurance at a potentially higher work rate.

Let us look at guys who might be better heavy, & why.
    Can you find anyone heavier, or even as heavy as george Foreman in his comeback?
    Who went down around mid 230's said he did not feel as good or strong.
    So that is likely-in his 40's & not having much speed he could gain, the force & resistance may have been better.
    But I think Big George at the 257 when he fought Holyfield = Ruiz @ 235 in terms of body fat.

Why? Foreman is taller & likely bigger bones, but even if not, he was clearly carrying more muscle than Ruiz was.
    His lean body mass was likely a good 20 lbs. more than Ruiz (what they would weigh if they had no BF whatsoever.

If even old Foreman was "thinnner" than Ruiz, & at the equivalent bf level he would have weight neat 280 (obviously too much...)
    Would you not agree that most any fighter is not better being that fat?

AND HIS RESPONSE:
    Freddie Roach trained Ruiz for years

Said he tried lesser weights - and always it hurt his power, etc.

Probably punch resistance too
    THEN ME AGAIN:I am skeptical.
    You did not answer my questions, such as who is better being how fat, or how big is better for some guys.
    Likely you do not know.
    But to address just what Roach said, in the past, was Ruiz always coming in near 270?

See, I am saying that I can believe that some men might do better relatively "fat". But at about 25% body fat.
    And some like Foreman who was in his 40's and well over 300 before he came back are prime candidates for this.

But do you really believe (if my estimates are correct), that Ruiz needs to be over 1/3, around 35% BF, to not have his power & punch resistance suffer, & significantly?
    It is hard to me believe that this effect would be more than small.
    Unless he did things that weakened him like lose weight quickly &/or with poor diet & /or traning-which he may have.

Or that the extra weight 10% BF-accounting for around 25lbs.-would be worth the inevitable decline in speed, at least of foot, & reduced endurance.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
    Richard M Murrieta and wifly like this.
  3. BoJangles

BoJangles Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Ruiz has been wearing a Fat Suit out in public, he's actually Slim & Trim now and will be unveiled at the weigh-in event!!

4. BoJangles

Apr 27, 2013
    Ruiz said he's not gonna Gobble down 4 whole Fried Turkeys for this Thanksgiving, he'll only eat one and instead of 12 whole pumpkin pies he'll only have 2... says he's gotta stay hydrated!!

5. Entaowed

Dec 16, 2012
    Alright funny, but if you have an opinion on the particulars of the subject I would like to hear it.

6. POTUS

POTUS Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 26, 2016
    Legend has it Ruiz is drinking a mountain dew & a handful of Snickers Everytime this song is heard
    This content is protected

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  7. POTUS

POTUS Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 26, 2016
  8. BoJangles

Apr 27, 2013
    Ruiz has decided to skip his diet and go ahead and Inhale 4 Whole Deep Fried ButterBall Turkeys for Thanksgiving and that's just for starters!!

9. Radrook

Radrook Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 24, 2017
    Some people seem to believe that lard is just dead weight. They fail to realize that the weight in lard can be leveraged into the force of a punch.

Slowhand likes this.
  10. MorvidusStyle

MorvidusStyle Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 11, 2017
    The problem Ruiz has is that if he loses most of the fat and looks like an athlete, maybe even discovers he has a jawline, he actually can't fight at HW anymore, he wouldn't make weight! That's the crazy thing about this Joshua upset, Ruiz isn't some jacked up little muscle man, he truly is a fat man without the natural size to fight at HW, and he beat one of the biggest HWs out there.

rinsj, reckless and Entaowed like this.
  11. Faceplant

Faceplant Lucky Full Member

Dec 31, 2015
    Similar to Dustin Nichols. When these guys sit down on their punches that's when every family bucket, every double whopper, every XXL meat feast, every last taco pays off. It makes you STRONG too. These guys are effectively lifting huge weights every time they walk around. Damn I admire these guys so much, I wish I were obese. F*** it, I reckon I can do it, I'm going to join these guys starting tonight. Let's see if I can't put on 20 lbs a week.

12. BoJangles

Apr 27, 2013
    Just go here and order the All You Can Eat Cheeseburger Platter, they refill your platter each time you clean it off!!

13. Entaowed

Dec 16, 2012
    But Morvidus, I think that he could easily fight at HW-though you are correct that he is more fat than muscle.
    I would guess that his lean body mass (if he had no fat at all) is ~ 177 lbs.
    If so, that would be ~ what say Joe Louis & Frazier had.
    Now that is small for a *modern* HW.

But why must it be all or nothing? Why would he need to either be pretty lean & a little over 200 lbs., OR near 270 like for his last fight?
    Why would he not be better almost halfway between these weights?
    Then he would still be overweight-~ 25% BF-but have more foot speed & endurance/

I AGREE that he is likely better overweight.
    I just feel it is very unlikely he is at his potential when he is as fat as he was against Joshua!
    What say ye?

14. BoJangles

Apr 27, 2013
    I hope Ruiz comes in even Fatter in this rematch and the result is the same!

15. Entaowed

Dec 16, 2012
    I hope he wins again.
    I would prefer if he was at an ideal weight to get the most out of his potential.
    For him I believe that would be ~ 235. If I am wrong it is not much more.

I wish some people would actually address the specific arguments I made in posts above.
    Re: what size is likely best for him, & why.