The fine art of... slugging?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Absolutely!, May 29, 2013.

1. GPater11093

GPater11093 Barry Full Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Yeh, it tends to go out the window.

Taking away the jab though is the number 1 skill for a pressure fighter and closing the range is number 2, and these can often look awkward and 'unskilled', but tust me they are very hard to do.

2. Absolutely!

Absolutely! Fabulous, darling! Full Member

Jul 8, 2010
    So, does anyone think that slugging is a style that one is forced into due to lack of other options, or something that fighters choose at the expense of other flashier styles?

3. john garfield

john garfield Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 5, 2004
    Whenya find a beast in the gym, like Rocky Graziano, who could knock down walls from day one, ya just get the hell outta the way 'n let'm keep firing. He had no patience ta learn anything -- just wanted ta party with Pep.

4. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007

This content is protected

5. dyna

dyna Boxing Junkie banned

Jun 1, 2012
    When looking at the wikipedia definition the only difference between a boxer puncher and boxer is punching power.
    In that case Muhammad Ali would also be a boxer puncher as he had power when hesat down on his punches.

Also Leonard was never a pure boxer.
    Only 2 fights of him have really been "boxing" fights, Hagler and Duran 2.

6. GPater11093

GPater11093 Barry Full Member

Nov 10, 2008
    I think its not a styles that is forced or a style that is chosen. Its not as clear cut as that. I think you sort of just come into it, to maximise the skills you have.