The Fury McDermott chronicles

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by miniq, Mar 13, 2020.

1. miniq

miniq Tyson Fury Undisputed HW Champion 18/5/24 banned Full Member

Oct 23, 2011
    This content is protected

POTUS likes this.
  2. miniq

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't fight for money
    I don't fight for fame
    I don't fight for glory
    I fight because I love it.

3. It's Ovah

It's Ovah I'm your huckleberry, that's just mah game Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    McDoughnut was a beast in his prime. The only man barring Wallin you could argue should have a win over Fury.

4. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    McD >>>>>>>> that version of Fury. Beat him clear as day.

That result going his way probably wouldn't have changed Fury's career trajectory however, and in the final analysis he's still a vastly greater heavyweight ...BUT, at that particular time, h2h, Big John undeniably had the Gypsy King's #.

5. miniq

Oct 23, 2011
    Whilst 21 year old Fury was fighting 30 fight veterans who are 30 years old

Wilder was fighting Harold Sconiers & AJ was...well just a fanboy hence why he was in the crowd at the Fury McDermott fights.

lloydturnip likes this.
  6. Safin

Safin Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Great video. Thanks.

This content is protected

An enjoyable watch for whoever hasn't seen it. John McDermott reveals some controversial information regarding their rematch.

I still remember the excitement for that rematch. Great times.

Sugar 88 and destruction like this.
  7. Naked Snake

Naked Snake Active Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2020
    If they gave McDermott the win there might not have been a rematch.
    However, given that they did have a rematch, Fury did exactly the right thing. He clearly treated the first fight as a loss and worked to improve. Something Deontay 'To This Day' Wilder didn't do for their rematch. Not in any clear way at least

8. pow

pow Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 26, 2014
    Unfortunately for John he only revealed his inability to read and interpret a contract.

Deew likes this.
  9. Naked Snake

Naked Snake Active Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2020
    John got punched in the face for a living. It's not his job to read and interpret contracts. It's his lawyer's and manager's job to do that and make sure their guy doesn't get screwed. Clearly they were derelict in their duty

10. Eggman

Eggman "The cream of the crop! Nobody does it better! Full Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Fury was a 22 year old child, he had been in Ibiza 2 weeks before the fight on a bender, McDermott was a solid British title level opponent. Matched correctly he could maybe of claimed the European.

at least Tyson rematched him an beat the tar out of him

Hattonmad and RightLeftCombo like this.
  11. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    I mean, fine, but all the circumstantial excuses in the world don't change the fact that FWIW, he should be 29-1-1 (if not 28-2-1, but the USS fight is a whole other kettle of fish...), as is all people are really saying when they reference Fury vs. McDermott I and its horrendous outcome.

Granted, as I said earlier, him being 29-1-1 at present instead of 30-0-1 probably doesn't make a lick of difference in the grand scheme, and everything likely would have played out as it has done since then anyway...but the cold hard fact is that literally nobody has ever objectively scored their meeting from 2009 in favor of Tyson Fury.

Boon and Ra's Al-Ghul like this.
  12. pow

pow Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 26, 2014
    Regardless, he signed the contract so the fight goes ahead. He said he was not making excuses and then proceeds to make several excuses ranging from flu to contracts to not training properly. John seems like a nice guy, but he was British level at his best and it was clear to see he was in terrible shape for most of his career.

13. Eggman

Dec 2, 2015
    come on leave USS out. It’s a fight. If he ko’d him with an elbow yes, even USS doesn’t complain about it.

he lost the McDermott fight in my opinion and got lucky

but the universe balances itself out as he should have beat wilder twice.

14. effigy

effigy Member Full Member

Nov 23, 2008
    Yeah, I remember watching that fight. McDermott clearly won. The only 'loss' in Fury's career.

However, it wouldn't have made any difference to Fury's career, a loss at that stage is always possible and plenty have had it and gone on to greatness amd wealth. It did however make a difference to Big John's career, even though he would've likely lost a rematch anyway, a win over Fury would've certainly added a little extra money to paychecks as the years went by, and he even could have grabbed a more lucrative rubber match when Fury had risen up a little more, but alas the robbery took those possibilities away.

15. Eggman

Dec 2, 2015
    He added: “Unfortunately, I sat in there with Fury and gave him the opportunity to lay on me and tire me out.

“I was doing good in the fight, too. I got the knockdown and hurt and stunned him a few more times. But then, by the fifth round, the laying on me started to weigh on me.

“I knew I’d get a second wind. I thought let me get out of this round and then I’ll be back on track. That’s when he caught me and got the KO win. It’s all good. It’s part of the game.”