The George Groves appreciation thread.

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Scissors, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Great fighter, great character. I hope he doesn’t ride off in to the sunset just yet. His fights with Froch brought British boxing back. To come back from those two defeats and establish himself as the number 1 in the division and be world champion was a fantastic achievement by Groves.

All the best champ.

2. welshjason

welshjason Member Full Member

Sep 25, 2015
    I agree ive always liked Groves

Hugo98 and BXNG101 like this.
  3. SambaKing1993

SambaKing1993 Don't do it Zachary! Full Member

Sep 17, 2018
    I wouldn't call him a great fighter, although everyone has their own ways of using that word. I've never thought he was #1 in the division. I'm pretty confident that Benavidez, Ramirez, Uzcetagui would have all beat him, and Smith obviously did last night.

It's been a very good career to follow, and I'm sure everyone was buzzing when he beat Chudynov in Sheffield. A good character as you say.

DeGale might just hold off this possible Eubank fight that was scheduled for December and see if he can get Groves later on instead.

ashishwarrior likes this.
  4. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Agree with the above.

Groves in my opinion over achieved in his career through hard work, heart and desire.

Hope he takes a good rest and retires with a decent legacy.

rski, VanBasten, Holler and 1 other person like this.
  5. Sharkface

Sharkface New Member Full Member

Nov 24, 2013
    He's had a strange career really, what with the Froch saga and the weird interlude with Fitzpatrick. But I hope he can get a rematch with Degale before he leaves the game. God bless Saint George.

rski and Hugo98 like this.
  6. Tony Belloo

Tony Belloo Member Full Member

Jul 27, 2018
    Him and Froch really kicked off the big stadium fights to be a regular occurrence and deserves huge credit for it.

He's had many great fights he's won some and lost some and it was brilliant to see him finally win a world title.

I would like to see him retire his speed and power seem to be on the decline nothing too dramatic but definitely noticeable but his defense was my main concern he was just far too open and getting caught too many times flush.

Whatever he does in the future I wish him well.

hitandhope, rski, VanBasten and 4 others like this.
  7. Smudge_

Smudge_ Teak tough Full Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Well said. Agree entirely. I was always a big Froch fan and wanted Froch to flatten him for for his cockiness and cheek. But from then on I've became a big fan of Groves too. To come back from those losses and the loss to Jack and go on that run of good wins picking up a world title shows great strength of character. Technically, a very good boxer and a very likeable, funny chap.

I wouldn't like to see him retire on that loss, I think he has more to offer and still has a couple of good wins in him. I'd like to see him fight Degale, that's still a big fight and one I think he wins.

Edit: The censored word was c ockniness. Never realised the word c ock was taboo Lol.

rski, Hugo98 and Holler like this.
  8. Hattonmad

Hattonmad Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 5, 2009
    He's an excellent fighter. I said it last night that Smith is just all wrong for his style. I'd back Groves against every other SMW out there.

I think Groves will be a champion again. He'll never beat Smith, but I don't see anyone beating him. He's just too big. Hope Groves gets another shot at a title.

9. stittyb

stittyb Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 9, 2008
    I'm a big Groves fan, always willing to mix it up with anyone. He fought Kenny Anderson, James Degale and Paul Smith while still a prospect. Believed in himself and put himself in hard fights. Lost some, won plenty, but he's earned a tidy sum in the ring and should be a role model for a lot of up and comers.

hitandhope, DJN16, rski and 5 others like this.
  10. CutThroatFade

CutThroatFade Rangers FC Full Member

May 25, 2015
    It took a lot of mental strength for George Groves to recover from the devastating KO to Froch, the split with Booth, the loss to Badou Jack and even the Gutknecht tragedy to pick himself up and become world champion in a thrilling, tough fight against Chudinov.

I love the guy, will never forget him being booed out into the ring against Froch the first time before becoming the people's champion 30 minutes later, cheered out of the ring.

Bet he's made a ton of dough. If he retires he will be seriously missed because he's given us so many quality nights and I love his psychological warfare at press conferences.

Also, of course, one of the best ring walks in the game:

This content is protected

@Scissors , I'm eagerly awaiting the David Haye appreciation thread.

Accurate, Furey, hitandhope and 5 others like this.
  11. bbjc

bbjc Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Big groves fan. Agree with hattonmad. Groves still a very good fighter...smith just a bad style match up for him. Always say tho groves was never the same after that froch one fight. Think the weight struggle began between the first and second fight. Everything came naturally up to that point it was replaced by a more labourous George groves. To his credit he added things to his game as he matured. But his speed slowed down. He had to bang the punches out as opposed to them being razor sharp. As much as froch won that second fight by holing himself up down at Sheffield....groves didn't have the same speed as that first fight.

He would have been better under booth imo. Think one of the biggest reasons groves left him is because booth kept him on a leash overly much with the game plans. A bit like Joe Gallagher had success with last night with smith. Groves wanted to be more free to show his ability. Career wise it worked for him. Still reckon he would have been a better fighter under booth tho. But with the weight issues who knows. These guys have to start moving up earlier in their careers. Grow into the weight staying away from guys in the top ten till their comfortable there. Otherwise they all end up 30 years old with no where to go. Too late to move up to adapt. And struggling at the weight they,ve made since some of them we,re teenagers.

Good fighter tho. Been a good career.

rski and Hugo98 like this.
  12. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    I was exactly the same. 100% behind Froch and wanted Froch to knock him out. I hated him but since grown to love him. Which again is testament to how good he is.

Also like to echo the sentiments that he was willing to fight anyone. Smith, Degale, Jack, Froch, Callum Smith, Eubank.

He’s been willing to mix it with everyone.

hitandhope, rski, VanBasten and 7 others like this.
  13. bbjc

bbjc Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Still not sold on mcguigan either tbh. He's good at the nutrition side of things. And getting the most out of the body considering their fighting the scales most of the time. But seems to add little insight. Glorified fitness coach for me. Would be better concentrating on that side of things and get a boxing coach in to help him.

14. ashishwarrior

ashishwarrior VIP Member Full Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Chudinov s level being blown away out of proportion here fringe world operator
    any one saying otherwise needs to take a look at them selves

superstarstu and moog like this.
  15. moog

moog Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    I know arguably Georges best career win, isnt better than Smiths best prior to fighting Groves as i think Fielding and Skoglund are/were better fighters than Chidinov.

ashishwarrior likes this.