The Gods of War

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Stonehands89, Dec 16, 2009.

1. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Can't really recommend this enough. It's the best Various boxing book i've read since Dark Trade which was almost twenty years ago. First boxing book since The Fight that i've just turned back to page one and re-read upon finishing.

2. Stonehands89

Stonehands89 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 12, 2005
    THE GODS OF WAR: BOXING ESSAYS has a new video advertisement...

It has been spinning around in my head at least since the book went to print and I'm happy to see that the video is now a reality. BoloPunch Productions did a fantastic job working with me, a ridiculous perfectionist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALx5Vbczyv8

If you like it, spread it around. I could use a boost in book sales -especially in the U.K.

3. burt bienstock

burt bienstock Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Springs, I am promised Gods of War for Christmas. Can't wait for it. You bring Art and class to boxing, for sure.
    P.S. I loved your trailer, with the inspired music of Carmina Burana by Carl Off...

Clinton likes this.
  4. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Found ya!

5. Stonehands89

Dec 12, 2005
    Too funny...! A Boston boy? What did i write in the book? What does DKSAB mean?

6. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    "To Cory, Happy Birthday to one of boxing's uncrowned champions" :oops:

It means "Don't know **** about boxing" (taken from a quote by Roger Mayweather several years ago that 'most people DKSAB', it has since become a popular expression among fans) - which she'd be the first to admit is true of her. :yep

She told me that you mentioned a favorite boxer of yours was also born on Halloween like me, but the name escaped her. I was stumped.

7. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
  8. Stonehands89

Dec 12, 2005
    I remember your mom -a classy woman looking out for what I wrongly guessed was her 12-year-old son. Man, if I knew the book was for the legendary IB, I'd have written something with that in mind instead of the pimple-faced adolescent I thought the book was for!

I was thinking of Young Peter Jackson (born Halloween ~1877).

9. Stonehands89

Dec 12, 2005
  10. dpw417

dpw417 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 13, 2007
  11. Stonehands89

Dec 12, 2005
    Boston is about to get the Frigidaire treatment when the blizzard hits (it's already howling outside), but I just read your Amazon post and feel all warm and toasty!

Thank you.

(And if "M. Lawes" is out here, thanks to him/her too.)

12. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Devastated!!!

Took my copy out to pack up before heading for the mother-in-law's to ride out this giant blizzard hitting the northeast for the next few days (she's older and not comfortable driving my son in these conditions...so if the mountain won't come to Moses...)

Got distracted by the cute neighbor offering to check in on the cats, and had to scramble to catch the bus after giving her a tour and my key...

Left it on the bed. :wall

Seriously considering buying it again on Kindle. :yep :!:

13. Stonehands89

Dec 12, 2005
    Bad news for you --it ain't on Kindle! I'd recommend buying four copies -one for home, one for the bathroom at home, one for work, and one as an extra. No -five copies! One for that cute neighbor.

14. FastHands(beeb)

FastHands(beeb) Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Had this bought for me for Christmas...finished it in about 3 days, which for me is QUICK!

I have to say it's outstanding. Well written, very evocative, you can "feel" the period when you read about the respective Gods.

Very original, no clichés, original thoughts and concepts...or maybe I think that because I found the book expressing views which echo my own, but are expressed much more eloquently than I could manage.

Hat doffed...

15. Stonehands89

Dec 12, 2005
    Thank you. The timing of your review is very good.