The Great .. Sonny Liston

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by surfinghb, Jun 29, 2021.

1. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    The fight did happen in 1967, Sonny Liston termed this fight as for the vacant title, as Muhammad Ali had been indicted for Draft Evasion, stripped of the title and boxing license. The WBA Tournament members list had not been released yet.

choklab and Reinhardt like this.
  2. Samtotheg

Samtotheg Active Member Full Member

May 4, 2021
    It is all science, you creativity lovers are just trying to dress up that you do not know **** !, Try what I said out go to a gym load up all your weight on your lead leg and jab and miss and see how well that does for you.Now listons competition was not the best so he got away with it but you have examples(on film ) of guys who jabbed and were not so vulnerable to counter right hands. If you are gonna cop out and say listons jab worked then **** it there is no such thing as a bad jab, hell jake and logan pauls jabs work . That comment about best ever is not a fact but an opinion too dude! My opinion on Listons flaws have no bearing on your opinions sure, But my opinion based on his weak ass resume and what he displays on film (those flaws) he was overrated as they come and flourished in a bad era!

3. surfinghb

surfinghb Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 26, 2017
    Fair enough .. If you think Liston's jab was poor , then what the heck you think of Wilder's ??... Lewis tried to show him how to throw a " proper jab " , and Wilder couldn't grasp it ,, You need to go into Wilder's corner before their 3rd fight .. Hell that dude's mechanics are a complete mess ... you could be rich !!!!

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  4. Samtotheg

May 4, 2021

distance judgement is not hard to understand nor explain. I am not interested in your goofy tunney vs liston example you wouldnt know what tunney was doing well enough to form an opinion on the matchup. While you can have instances of a less technical boxer beating a more skilled boxer, like Rocky Marciano vs Archie moore.It makes sense when you look at things like strategy /tactics/ opponent taking advantage of a glaring flaw etc. I dont know bout your beholden to an era comment, I personally think a guy like Deontay wilder knocks out Sonny liston , so I do have instances where I do not pick the older guy and in that scenario wilder is the bigger stronger more aggressive highly talented fighter!

5. Samtotheg

May 4, 2021
    Wilder knocks out Liston I just posted about it in another response !

6. Samtotheg

May 4, 2021

start somewhere and lets see some analysis ,yall love this goofy ass quips and vague boxing truisms but when it comes to getting into the meat of the argument or any analysis you "dont know where to start " but I know how to start the ignored dumbass members list and you are next!

7. Samtotheg

May 4, 2021
    I am probably a more socially adjusted person than you , who imagines this weird **** you think of , I spend my time at rooftop bars with friends women etc good food, I train a guy going pro , and people who want to learn etc. What do you do in your free time besides think of weird ass **** on internet boxing forums?

8. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Where do you think you’re commenting? You’re new here. This forum is filled w more knowledgeable boxing people then your local gym. Humble yourself and you will learn more then you thought you knew. Few things. Listons jab is amazing…this isn’t debatable there’s more then one or two ways to throw a jab. Listons resume is solid if not a little short but solid prime guys

White Bomber likes this.
  9. Samtotheg

May 4, 2021
    that was a typo that should have said the only reason he was NOT knocked out every other fight , I am aware of listons record I am aware when ezzard charles boxed him he though he was a bum etc. Trust if there is one thing I do I research !

10. Samtotheg

May 4, 2021
    hey shot I am aware who is knowledgeable and who is not dude , I have my own filter I dont take the words of some dude who thinks liston kept himself with constant motion (show me an example of that ) also he didnt keep himself safe hence why he had to react on the spot to counter right hands and got clipped in that vid I posted . Would you say Greynotsoold is one of those experts ? he liked my post on Listons flaws , In fact he teaches boxing as well ! do you find creedance in his opinion? or you gonna conjure nameless experts and use that argument when they agree with you. Grey knows his ****, Klompton knows his **** (not technique though) Vesti knows **** ,you dont swag doesnt kamizaze is a dunce,indefangable is an idiot so is george crowfeet and white bomber etc.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
  11. Indefatigable

Indefatigable Active Member banned Full Member

Mar 6, 2021
    And Joshua kayos Ali in 3. And Canelo kayos anyone 195 and under. And Squids fly. Biden had over 75,000,000 votes and "Howard The Duck" is cinema's greatest film.

12. Samtotheg

May 4, 2021
    IF effectiveness matters the most than my argument wins the day dude , It is MORE effective to jab properly without loading up all your weight on your lead leg , than it is to jab like liston did! IF effectiveness is key then jack johnson and tunney clinching after every jab is greater than liston jabbing and not angling off to the side or tying up, its not about effectiveness for you its about aesthetics!

13. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Sure you do kid.:eaea:

Eddie Ezzard and White Bomber like this.
  14. Samtotheg

May 4, 2021
    hey dude Deontay is the bigger man,dont get caught up in prior eras boxing has evolved ,see how easy it is to turn your little stupid ass arguments against you guys ! but in all seriousness Wilder probably knocks out liston easy too!

15. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    @BlackCloud @George Crowcroft You guys getting serbian vibes or is it just me?

BlackCloud likes this.