The Great .. Sonny Liston

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by surfinghb, Jun 29, 2021.

1. Samtotheg

Samtotheg Active Member Full Member

May 4, 2021

again you have a social media .lets compare social lifes , I already tower over you with boxing knowledge!

2. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Nah, I think he's either Morlocks or just another extremely passionate guy.

swagdelfadeel likes this.
  3. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    No, what is more effective is TKOing the guy, which is what Liston did in the fight that you are criticising.

And my comment argument was the opposite of favouring aesthetics. Learn to read.

4. Samtotheg

May 4, 2021
    Would you say boxers should be trained to fight with the same technique as rocky marciano I mean he never lost and ko'd alotta guys it was effective . Would you pick a boxer fighting like Marciano (ignoring all the other attributes BUT THE TECHNIQUE) in fights against other guys .

5. roughdiamond

Jul 25, 2015
    What are you even talking about? Fighters should be trained to suit their best attributes and possibly minimise their weak ones, and ultimately impose their style on the opponent, no matter if it is classy or crude. I don't know why you give some hyper specific, diversionary example of Marciano to try and catch me out.

6. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Plenty of people teach boxing here myself included. Liston had one of the best KO percentages all time. The man threw a lot of punches per round on average as per compubox anyone who works that much does it for a reason. You can also throw a jab as Liston does but must come back quickly which he certainly did most of his career. The advantage you get from stomping out with your lead foot gives you a much extended reach and power…something even a bad trainer should have showed you. Every boxer has flaws…every. Louis dropped his left when he threw straight rights was he some dog? There is no perfect fighter stop acting like all these greats are flawless because there are none w out any.

swagdelfadeel and White Bomber like this.
  7. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    I thought so to at first, but Morlocks held Liston in high regard unlike this guy.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  8. White Bomber

White Bomber Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 31, 2021
    He called us all idiots :lol:
    And in another thread that asks of examples of the most limited ATG, his answer was: "muhammad ali, Sonny liston, joe frazier, George foreman, Oscar de la hoya and many more !"
    The man's obviously nuts.

Reinhardt and swagdelfadeel like this.
  9. Samtotheg

May 4, 2021
    I teach it as well and if you are advocating for loading up on the front foot then you are a bad trainer, I dont care for compubox . You step for reach you double jab for reach ,you dont overload your weight on the front foot and making yourself a liability for reach and power, since you are trainer try this with your students, have them load up all their power in their jabs like liston did and pull the focus pads away ,basically make em miss that front foot loaded jab then throw a counter right , let me know how many students successfully defend that counter punch! I posted that Louis fight with time stamps earlier in this thread pay the **** attention dude , it wasnt dropping his left that got him hit (proof that yall dont watch film just rely on folklore from so called experts ) it was front loaded jabs that he missed that got him clipped (the same thing that Liston was doing the difference was there was not a savvy opponent who exploited this flaw like schmeling did !)

10. Samtotheg

May 4, 2021
    Im gonna try another angle with you, have you ever seen floyds pull counter , when he makes you miss a jab and he wacks you with the counter right , Liston ends in the position floyd puts his opponents into with that pull counter technique(and no floyd is not the first guy to do the pull counter ) does that sound like good technique?

11. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Zero wrong w front loading all the best jabbers did it time to time or frequently like Liston. It shouldn’t be countered because you shouldn’t be in their reach of a right hence the stepping into it. So long as you come back quickly it should never be a problem. If you’re old like Liston was in that clip time to time you May get caught. I didn’t read your analysis of Louis but once again you’re wrong. He frequently dropped his left which he even admits. He thought it gave him more power and was worth the risk.

White Bomber likes this.
  12. Samtotheg

May 4, 2021
    Have you ever seen floyd mayweather pull counter an opponent , he literally gets you to get your weight on your front foot thus putting you out of position to protect against the counter right ,why in the ****ing hell would you advocate jabbing in a way that puts you in that position wthout someone manipulating you into that crappy position? you can see liston do that when he was young too, age has nothing to do with it.Also Liston even when he landed that jab he was open to getting wacked cuz thats a bad position to end in!

and no i didnt type about joe louis I time stamped him doing what liston was doing ,this shows you are making **** up (it wasnt a hand down, it was getting lulled off balance with his front loaded jab!) the ****ing film shows what I am talking about ,watch the footage!

13. roughdiamond

Jul 25, 2015
    That isn't even related to the last comment and is totally unrelated to the original point, which was that fighters can and do succeed despite 'bad' technique due to other factors, not to mention being hard to read. Stop throwing strawman arguments at me about weirdly specific points.

And yes, Liston could be exploited for this but, again, only by the highest class heavyweights who have the style and attributes to do so, guys like Ali or Holmes etc. Others wouldn't be able to do it due to not being durable enough, not enough power etc.

14. Samtotheg

May 4, 2021
    max schmeling literally pull countered Joe louis death in their first matchup he can exploit this , ezzard charles did this as did archie moore jersey joe had is version of a pull counter( yes i am aware not all boxers boxed the same ) you are severly underestimating who can exploit this flaw , Gene Tunney exploited lunging (watch how Georges carpienter got knocked out ) now Patterson couldnt and many a bum liston fought doesnt mean liston was some guy who can get away with it ,more so he fought subpar competition(alis favorite counter was the right from him pulling back he can and did exploit that flaw)

15. roughdiamond

Jul 25, 2015
    Dude, I didn't even disagree with you about the flaw. I agreed with you. But even if someone could exploit it doesn't mean they would ultimately win the bout. Once again, there would be more factors for the deciding factor than just exploiting the flaw, factors I have already touched upon. You're just ranting at me now.