The Greatest Middleweights of All Time

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mteslamiller, May 17, 2022.

1. Mark Dunham

Mark Dunham Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 19, 2021
    Truth is, Johnson Ketchel match, Johnson was just carrying him. Once the fight actually began, Johnson knocked him cold in two seconds

Reinhardt likes this.
  2. Mark Dunham

Mar 19, 2021
    I think someone like Hopkins would tie ketchel in knots

White Bomber likes this.
  3. Mike Cannon

Mike Cannon Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Steady on !! Obliterate really ? they might beat him ( this is debatable ) if any of the above were to post a win over Harry, for sure it would be the most hard fought fight of their respective careers, what I think needs to taken in account here is, Greb in nearly 300 fights most have come across every style imaginable, superlative boxers ( Tunney/Mike Gibbons) hard and aggressive punchers ( Walker/Norfolk ) in fact every type available, and in most cases posted wins, lest we forget, he would have no compunction in taking on the HWs of his day, ok so they didn't weigh 15/16 stone , but in the main were a lot heavier and bigger than Greb, against that you have all the 3, great as they were, as we know for a fact have not fought a fighter even remotely like Harry, Monzon in particular would be fending off hundreds of rapid, slashing shots from Greb, not knowing from whence they came, sorry Bomber but we part company on this, I have Greb as my No 1 MW, and would put him in my top 5 p4p, the boxing world had not seen his like, and prop nether will. stay safe buddy.

4. Clinton

Clinton Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Great post, Matt. I just got edumakated as well. Cheers

McGrain likes this.
  5. White Bomber

White Bomber Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 31, 2021
    There is no footage of Greb to see how he fought. But there is plenty of footage of boxers from that era, they suck in comparison to more modern ones.
    I meant it when I said obliterate. Apart from those 3 ATGs I mentioned, every good modern MW would destroy Greb.
    This doesn't diminish Greb's greatness of course (cause boxers should be judged based on what they achieved in their own era), but in terms of H2H, he's probably not even in the top 30 all time.

Mark Dunham likes this.
  6. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    There is footage of Gibbons and Tunney and many others that he fought. And they look excellent on film.

Guys who have 300 fight careers tend to learn a few tricks along the way that can expose 30 fight "veterans".

Smokin Bert likes this.
  7. White Bomber

White Bomber Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 31, 2021
    Tunney gets his arse whooped in the same manner, he stands no chance against someone like say Roy Jones Jr, none whatsoever.

Mark Dunham likes this.
  8. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005

SomeONE like Roy? There was only one Roy. There is no one else who is like him.

Otherwise, Tunney could operate at a high level in any era of the LHW division.

Jel and McGrain like this.
  9. Bulldog24

Bulldog24 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 2, 2013
    For once a decent post.

10. Mike Cannon

Mike Cannon Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 29, 2020
    I see, no footage you say, well not sure if you were aware but there was " no footage " of the Titanic sinking, but we know what occurred don't we, why... because the people that was there told us what happened, soooo we know how good Greb was and how he fought, because people that were there told us, simples. stay safe buddy.

JohnThomas1 likes this.
  11. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    The OP's list list ranks by "consistent greatness". It's not H2H. Mike is no-where near the top 10 resume wise.

The list of middleweights of whom we can't think of 10 other middleweights beating them "easily" would be absolutely IMMENSE Mark. Think about it - "easily".

thistle and PernellSweetPea like this.
  12. FastLeft

FastLeft Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 23, 2022
    McCallum rank below Kalambay & Nunn in own time era. so he is to be rank not very high on all timer middle weight listing

13. Bulldog24

Bulldog24 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 2, 2013
    Why does McCallum ‘rank’ below those two? He avenged defeat vs Sumbu and arguably beat Toney. Went away from home to defend the belt against humongous young bucks.

14. Mark Dunham

Mar 19, 2021
    Mccallum tends to get over rated on this forum

A good quality middleweight but not good enough to qualify as a standout

15. TheEliteMaster100

TheEliteMaster100 Member Full Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Dick Tiger has the better middleweight resume than Monzon. Monzon made more championship defence in a poor middleweight era.

Monzon stated his most difficult fight was against ancient Griffith with high mileage.

JimJeffries22 and mark ant like this.