The greatest single belt alphabet heavyweight champion of the 2000s?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by themostoverrated, Feb 11, 2024.

1. themostoverrated

themostoverrated Member Full Member

Feb 9, 2022
    The 1980s and the 2000s are notorious for several single belt alphabet champions. The 2000s produced the following alphabet champions who only won titles from a single sanctioning body in their careers.

John Ruiz (WBA, 2001 and 2003)
    Corrie Sanders (WBO, 2003)
    Lamon Brewster (WBO, 2004)
    Nikolay Valuev (WBA, 2005 and 2008)
    Oleg Maskaev (WBC, 2006)
    Serhei Liakhovich (WBO, 2006)
    Shannon Briggs (WBO, 2006)
    Ruslan Chagaev (WBA, 2007)
    Sultan Ibragimov (WBO, 2007)
    Samuel Peter (WBC, 2008)

Note: Roy Jones Jr. only held the WBA title at heavyweight but was the holder of other belts at other weight classes. David Haye had similar accomplishments at Cruiserweight. Chagaev also held the WBA 'regular' belt, but it came from the same sanctioning organization as his other belt.

Who was the best boxer among these guys? I would vote for Ruslan Chagaev, who only lost to Wladimir Klitschko, the best fighter of his era (and Povetkin, when he was past it).

Last edited: Feb 11, 2024
  2. HistoryZero26

HistoryZero26 Member Full Member

Jan 6, 2024
    I'm on team WBA during this period.

I guess I would have to go with David Haye over Chagaev cause he went the distance with Wlad. I was young at the time but I remember Wlad v Haye being the most anticipated fight of the Wlad era. So my first inclination is to put Haye atop this list.

3. themostoverrated

themostoverrated Member Full Member

Feb 9, 2022
    I just realized that I forgot the accomplishments of Roy Jones Jr. and Haye at other weight classes. I have updated the OP and removed them from the list.