The Greb Myth: Why do people still believe Greb existed?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by cross_trainer, Nov 25, 2021.

1. West of Hollywood

West of Hollywood Active Member Full Member

Nov 17, 2018
    Greb is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. He is the opium of the people.

janitor, Toker and cross_trainer like this.
  2. timmers612

timmers612 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 25, 2005
    Hahahaha, you want utube clips of Tiger Flowers nomination to a deacon in his Georgia Baptist church cira 1917, sure, you hold on and we'll get them for you. As for Greb its far beyond a Nat Fleischer statement, along with the newspaper writs of both Greg-Flowers bouts theres the same with Loughren, Walker, Tunney, etc. along with what each said of Harry and their fights.

3. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    On HD color film, if you please. None of that grainy Zapruder / Patterson-Gimlin shakey home movie stuff.

All hearsay!

Look, I'm not picky. I'll also accept Greb personally appearing to me and convincing me that he existed.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2021
  4. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    There is more footage — and more convincing footage — of Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster than there is of Greb.

5. djanders

djanders Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Stop it! Next you'll be telling me that Rocky Balboa was NOT a real Heavyweight Champion, or that he didn't exist at all! Don't even try that. I have film of him fighting Creed, Lang, and Drago (and even Tommy Morrison, in a street fight), so don't go there or you'll end up looking foolish.

As for Greb, I think Tunney started that rumor, to puff up what little quality opponents he had on his record.

6. Saintpat

Jun 26, 2009
    Of course Balboa was real. He has a statue in Philly.

cross_trainer likes this.
  7. cross_trainer

Jun 30, 2005
    Unlike Frazier, a fictional Philly boxer created for the movie Ali.

The two are commonly confused. Just wanted to clarify.

8. djanders

djanders Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Now this thread is starting to Rock the Casbah!

This content is protected

9. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I'd wager sticking a cheaky few quid on Greb to beat Tommy Morrison is worth the money.

10. Saintpat

Jun 26, 2009
    Tommy Morrison was a fictional character in the flop Rocky V.

You’re probably confusing him with Tommy Gunn, the actor who portrayed him. He was John Wayne’s uncle.

11. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    I think he’s making a mockery of people who think that YouTube should have existed as far back as James Figg’s era. ( Figg was a 16th century pugilist.)

catchwtboxing likes this.
  12. Saintpat

Jun 26, 2009
    At least that’s what they’d have you believe.

Sounds like a made-up name to me.

mr. magoo and cross_trainer like this.
  13. cross_trainer

Jun 30, 2005
    You're quite correct. The feats attributed to this "James Figg" character were, in fact, done by another man -- also named James Figg -- with identical biographical details.

14. Jason Thomas

Jason Thomas Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 18, 2019
    You are overlooking the Roger Patterson film of Harry Greb.

Of course, there are those who say this was just an actor wearing a Harry Greb mask, but Russian scientists who have examined the film attest to its authenticity and how unlikely it is that it could be faked.

That an actor has actually come forward to admit he was paid to run in front of the camera while wearing the mask is obviously the real hoax and should be dismissed by all fair minded observers.

15. cross_trainer

Jun 30, 2005
    I concede that the Roger Patterson film might be real. As you say, its provenance on paper seems unassailable.

I'm currently in heated e-mail negotiations with a Nigerian gentleman to acquire the original. He seems to be having trouble shipping it, though. Although he assures me that the U.N. and Steve Jobs selected me to receive the film, they neglected to pay for postage, so I might need to forward him $500 in Steam giftcards. Will update you with further Patterson film breakthroughs as they develop.

Is it too much to hope that we might see actual proof of Greb? Or will the film turn out to be another fake fight that never happened, like Tyson / Spinks? Waiting on tenterhooks...

Saintpat and Jason Thomas like this.