The HW division : This is what boxing is about

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Gennady, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Rockradar

Rockradar Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Sorry you're absolutely right. I stand corrected and how dare I forget my main man Joe lol. At the time of typing that post I was thinking about Deontay Wilder and how in 5 years, he's found it difficult to compete in a unification bout.

2. Rockradar

Rockradar Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Dually noted on the unification. Apologies, I stand corrected. My mind was somewhere else when I typed that.
    It was hard to know who was holding up the fight between Joshua and Wilder. I couldn't say for sure that it was Joshua or Wilder because Im just a boxing fan from New Zealand, I'm not at those meetings between Hearn and Finkel to be able tell you guys in all honesty, just exactly who is holding up the fight. Up to a few years back, I did quietly suspect Wilder was ducking but now that suspicion has been elevated with the rejection to fight Joshua through the recent DAZN deal.
    I think Joshua is the best but as you probably know by now - I like to see it for myself. I like to see the proof and the truth so whilst Wilder is ducking, does it mean Joshuas the best? I honestly don't know. I think he is but I cant just say Joshua is better than Wilder at boxing beecause they haven't fought?? that doesn't make sense but thats what some people think in that Joshua doesnt need all five bouts. He needs to be undisputed but he also needs to beat Wilder so even if Wilder somehow loses to Breazeale, I still would like to see Joshua vs Wilder and I think Joshua would still chase him whether hes got a belt or not.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    GALVATRON likes this.
  3. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Adonis Chickenson sat on that belt whilst facing absolutely no one for 4 years. It was a disgrace, a far bigger disgrace than what Wilder has done. Atleast Wilder stepped up against Ortiz and then Fury. But has now gone back to facing taylor made roll over jobs like Breazeale.

The HW division really isnt as bad as people make out. Wilder has stepped up more in the Ortiz and Fury fights than some previous HW champions have done.

4. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Whyte's next opponent will most likely either be Ortiz or Povetkin. That is also an elite vs elite level fight to be added to your list.

5. Charlie Stewart

Charlie Stewart Most Merciful Full Member

Feb 5, 2019
    Truthfully hw division has been more active than others, boxing politics have held it up recently but in the last few years overall there have been a lot of top match ups. Difference is it was almost all happening in Europe, it’s why wilder Ortiz registers as a top fight but Povetkin Joshua doesn’t. now the landscape is shifting from Europe and your getting the standard Haymon/Arum bull**** that comes with it.

Mitch87 likes this.
  6. Lazar

Lazar Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 3, 2016
    WW and LHW are way worse. The best guys there are sitting around jerking each other and fighting each other’s leftovers.

7. dinovelvet

dinovelvet Antifanboi Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Nobody makes out its bad division apart from a small minority of biased begrudges.. Its one of the best and most popular divisions in the sport.

8. It's Ovah

It's Ovah I'm your huckleberry, that's just mah game Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    Fighters thrive when they're hungry. There's too much easy money floating around at HW for any of the top dogs to take risks.

Dial that back and maybe we start to see some real fights happening.

9. Heavy_Hitter

Heavy_Hitter Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Which previous HW champ stepped up less then Wilder? Hard to think of any examples
    Maybe only Tyson Fury, who only fought ancient Wlad, Chisora and donkey himself, and now fighting Shwatrz.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  10. GALVATRON

GALVATRON Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Oct 30, 2016
    Foreman fought Shultz , Grimsley and Savarese , before losing his title ( a title )

Difference is he let it known he wasn't taking more difficult fights throughout his career . In truth he fought Morrison because he saw a weaker chin and Briggs because he had some poor showings at that time and a list of guys like Bowe, Lewis, Mercer, Golota, and so he chose to avoid.

Foreman somewhat gets a pass bc of age and he wasn't the dominant fighter of that era. He wasn't even top 5. At least he did fight Holyfield but Foreman wasn't champion so as champion he's paper thing at resume .

Wilder is a prime fighter who holds a major belt hostage bc he's terrified of a boxer / puncher with speed.

Fury also didn't step.up : He never defended his title.

He's above Wilder because he unofficially defeated him.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019