The Jimmy Young Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by red cobra, Dec 28, 2019.

1. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Not really a fan of his, though with Whitaker I can appreciate his artistry. Locche appeared to try to act like almost a circus clown.

2. zadfrak

zadfrak Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2008
    well not many on this site like the cutie pies. Young and guys like Ottke just are not very many people's cup of tea. But the irony is all the love for hitters instead.

red cobra likes this.
  3. Ilesey

Ilesey ~ Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    I remember having lunch at 1860's down that way and Hackin' Hart Hominy was playing his electric mandolin, a la Yank Rachell, and Yank was there, looked over at me, said "Boxed, this beer is warm as p*ss. But Hack's playin' some straight up gangsta sh*t." and I nodded my head. Because I told him not to order any beer, there.

4. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    On Norton/Young. I would say if that fight took place today Jimmy would have gotten the nod. Aggression and clean punching don't mean as much in the current game. A guy can throw a jab short for 12 rounds and if he's the house fighter the commentators will slobber all over him. Or a guy just moves for 2:30 of the round and throws a flashy flurry then he's outclassing the other guy. Yes I'm old.

5. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    On Ali/Young. The only punches scored were by Jimmy Young. Clean counters, Ali missed everything. He got so owned he even started to throw slaps at Young's arms and shoulders.
    To this day the only argument Ali's limp wristed band of huggers offer is that Young put his head outside of the ropes a few times. Their just jealous Ali didn't think of that first. Ali's Ring IQ would be slobbered on.

Bill Syerson and Mark Dunham like this.
  6. Boxed Ears

Boxed Ears this my daddy's account (RIP daddy) Full Member

Jul 28, 2009
    :lol: :lol:
    That sounds familiar and I like it.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  7. joebeadg

joebeadg Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 3, 2005
    ETM, U R correct!

ETM and George Crowcroft like this.
  8. joebeadg

joebeadg Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 3, 2005
    one thing I noticed about Jimmy is he had this real quick straight right hand usually used to counter but sometimes a lead punch, it was wicked, turned guys heads around, Norton in particular. After the Norton fight it kind of went away, he lost some quickness and spontinaety.

Mark Dunham and red cobra like this.
  9. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Right as rain joebeadg! A profound ownage.

10. WAR01

WAR01 In the 7.2% Full Member

Aug 19, 2019
    I'll rewatch the fights and see for myself it's been sometime I was about sixteen when I watched those fights it was hard to say the least.

Mark Dunham likes this.
  11. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Not a Young fan ,I see him as a nearly man,talented but without a champions mentality.Which I believe accounted for his several close losses.He gets no sympathy from me for losing against Ali .The fight was his for the taking and, imo he did not step up to the plate and take it.
    I saw him make a mug out of the British Champ John L Gardner,flooring him along the way.Clever but negative imo.

autumn1976 likes this.
  12. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    I believe Young won that fight, Ali looked awful. It's just that Jimmy's style didn't win him many fans including the ones scoring the fight.

13. zadfrak

zadfrak Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2008
    And Young had no promoter behind him. Tough to win a decision over Ali without influence from the powers that be.

I thought when they announced the lopsided scoring, Ali was not being given his customary benefit of the doubt. then, they announced Ali as the decision winner. More booing in that crowd than the Ali--Norton 3 decision even. And zero rematches.

14. autumn1976

autumn1976 Member Full Member

Jun 30, 2021
    Agree with you. He was brave and slick. What a spoiler, though.

15. GoldenHulk

GoldenHulk Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 7, 2007
    Many people forget that Young in the early 80's that Young went on a 5 fight winning streak beating Jeff Sims, Marvin Stinson, and British champ John L Gardner before losing to a prime Greg Page. If Young had beaten Page, he could have very well likely gotten a second title shot, and possibly won the WBA belt, I couldn't see him beating WBC champ Larry Holmes.