The kiss of Death: Hearns declares Conor Benn the next PPV star

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by NasalSpray, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    You don't know if Saturday's fight lost money unless of course you have access to the financials, do you ??
    And what a ludicrous idea that someone like Mick Hennessey would put on cards knowing he's going to lose money. Serious question - Why would he put cards on C5 if he knows in advance he's going to lose money on them ??

2. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    There's more chance of Benn going straight in with one of Kell or Khan than those two actually fighting each other, Amir would rather lose out on a big final payday than give Kell a chunk of the purse as well as the possibility of KO'ing him.

Brixton Bomber likes this.
  3. I Shot JR

I Shot JR Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Unless Benn gets to European level I doubt he becomes a PPV attraction- possible he somehow has the odd PPV fight but at the moment he just isn’t at any sort of level to warrant Sky giving this the green light.

Welterweight is such a tough division I don’t see him winning a world title unless one of the current title holders move up in weight and he gets a very favourable vacant title shot.

The Kell Brook fight intrigues me however even at this stage.

4. GTFUP

GTFUP Active Member Full Member

Dec 12, 2015
    Benn PPV? Never on ability but just by name. He’s a KO waiting to happen at elite level. He will be another put on a pedestal until they go to world level and get completely exposed.

Brixton Bomber and kojak like this.
  5. EJC83

EJC83 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 20, 2019
    147 is tough now, it's going to be potentially even tougher in the next few years with some of the fighters that should be making their way up, Lopez would murder Conor Benn.

Brixton Bomber likes this.
  6. Trafford

Trafford Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 29, 2018
    Blimey people get so worked up. Hearn is talking him up on the week of his biggest fight to date which is about to headline.

He hasn’t said he expects his next fight to be on PPV merely that he hopes he could go on to be a PPV fighter. Hearn would want that for all of his prospects so it’s hardly outrageous. If and it is a big if Benn beats the likes of McKinson, Aveneysan and Kelly a fight the likes of Benn vs Josh Taylor when he moves up surely is a PPV fight

7. bbjc

bbjc Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Not worth discussing it if your not willing to concede that show on saturday would have lost money bud.

I m not saying micks putting on a card that,ll lose money...which kind of dictates it,ll be a low quality card in the grand scheme of things. And therein lies the problem. Not enough money to fund a good card consistantly and end up losing money if you do put on a good card.

Ten fights with no opponents. Sam eggington headlining? No one outside the hardcore will be interested in that...that markets not big enough to grow the sport into a sport that you want.

Mick will make a return on it...but nothing to really then fund his next shows...hes stuck where he is....putting on mediocre fights....or it takes too long to start getting cards that people are interested in. Boxing moves too slow for the fans and on and on it goes.

8. Wizbit1013

Wizbit1013 Drama go, and don't come back Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    Hearn needs another PPV star so can understand why he is moulding Connor this way

I'm no fan of the format but i quite like how Benn has progressed and he always comes to have a fight

Could be worst choices ,that's for sure

Gatekeeper and Twentyman like this.
  9. N17

N17 VIP Member Full Member

Feb 16, 2013
    Benn hasn't fought for or won a serious title, no British, Commonwealth or European titles and obviously no world title and he is the NEXT PPV STAR?

Embarrassing.

Won't be long until Hearn is saying the same about Campbell Hatton.

British Boxing is screwed, we are done, if Conor Benn is the next big star, then is going to get bleak very quickly.

10. bbjc

bbjc Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012
    What do you propose tho n17?

How do you fix it.

My point is no one is funding boxing like it once did.

Their talking about making a computer game for boxing....the first one in something like 15 years. Someone put up asking about the michael gomez film....that got canned cause their was no funding. The markets too small to make it worthwhile for anyone.

How do you propose to fix boxing...and how do you fund it?

Far too premature to be talking about benn as the next big ppv star....but without that ppv money how do you get guys fighting each other for the money the fight would generate. How do you get the next generation interested when decent fights take too long to make and every other sport pretty much pays better than boxing.

What we,re seeing is guys going through a career with one or two real serious fights. Just waiting till the moneys worthwhile or waiting it out to get one of the few moneymen in the ring.

N17 likes this.
  11. Dannymita

Dannymita Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 21, 2019
    I genuinely thought Benn was crap when he first come on the scene but they peynaud fights musta lit a fire in him to take him more seriously..granted formella looked pretty basic but the difference in Benn is night and day...he's not his dad but few sons of legends are .fairplay to the kid, he's at least dedicated himself and improved massively...I wish him all the best..I think he will come unstuck at world level but fingers crossed he does alright

but ppv star....no lol

eddie hearn and his ppv stars...dillian,tony bellend, chisora...**** off

12. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    You cant use a film going tits up as an example. So many films go this way at various stages of the production. We have films that havent seen light of day yet and that includes ones with big actors.

Many dont get the money they need. Id say around 99% of films dont get made.

13. Wig

Wig Boxing Addict Full Member

May 31, 2010
    Old Frank Warren always said Barry Hearns and sons are accountants.

Seems like Hearns and sons have successfully created a whole new breed of fan who are now diehard fans of the financials of the fights more than the fights themselves.

people used to talk about how fighter a would beat fighter b, now they passionately argue about whether promoter a is making a profit on the show and how promoter b cannot possibly put on the fight without making it ppv because “the numbers don’t stack up”

It’s remarkable.

rezzer and Wizbit1013 like this.
  14. Surrix

Surrix Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 16, 2020
    If Chisora is on ppvs then why not? If eddie will tell it will happen.
    Also eddie will have ppv star in Okolie and maybe even will sell us Whyte vs Povetkin III or Okolie vs Povetkin.

$ rules everything and if he wish and if he really had told this, it will happen.

15. zulander

zulander Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 17, 2006
    While i doubt he ever gets to be a PPV star he might feature high up the card on one given some decent match making.
    To be fair he's improved loads and the Vargas fight is a good test for him. Sammy has lost to the best but he gave Khan plenty of problems he's also run the likes of Collazo to SD's so no disgrace in defeat. Although basic in his style he's tough enough and hits just about hard enough to give fighters some issues certainly if your not on your A game he's also fought at higher weights then Benn so Eddie better hope this isn't a mistake.