The kiss of Death: Hearns declares Conor Benn the next PPV star

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by NasalSpray, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Surrix

Surrix Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 16, 2020
    It depends.
    Someone maybe was not world champion and still get normal job/ business offers, the same sport media, gyms, fitness , retail sales for sport gear etc alike.
    Someone get some mistake in career, I mean didn't had won some fights and ended as journeyman.

The most interesting stuff that pro boxers are different.
    Some does have good investors and they might only train and rest when they turned into a pro.
    A lot of pros with records like 9-0-0, 11-0-0 and 12-0-0 are working in the same gyms and also as paid sparring partners. Some pros are working jobs where are shifts, like security etc.

There are also expenses: gym, % there, % there and there and also a taxman. If you use paid sparring partners, this too cost money.

Of course we do know boxers who earn not bad money, there of course time is required until you had been climbed up enough.
    A lot of pro boxers with undefeated records are happy if they are placed on undercard in notable big fight night events. Like kids. Happy.
    It is not easy to climb up.

2. bbjc

bbjc Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012
    As you,ve said yourself the titles we,re already devalued.

So for the first five/6/7 years they earn what? Before anyone really knows them. Then after 8 years they lose at the top level. So they,ve had 2 years of 150,000 pay days. Say they,ve had 5 fights at that level....750,000. Then you tax it. Pay manager 25 percent. Pay trainer 10 percent. Pay sparring partners. Nutritionalists. Fitness coaches etc. The truth is they wouldnt have these guys if they we,re on that money. More people losing out. Sparring partners would be paid less.

If whyte was on 150,000 for a top fight. How much does the guys below him get.

How much does the promoter get for orginising everything. Marketing budgets took a hit as well.

So after alls said and done if you,ve been a top 4 heavyweight in the whole world and everythings went well for you....you,ve earned around 2 or 3 hundred thousand.

Brains probably been smashed up....would you let your son go into that?

Its a race to the bottom...worse than its always been cause no one really wants to fund it anymore. To get anything going thats struggling...you need to invest money into it.

3. Jamal Perkins

Jamal Perkins Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 19, 2012
    Hearn and his desperation to set up a gaslighted casuals ufc is killing boxing. Once AJ and Whyte leave the scene we'll see how many British ppv"s he will be able to charge for....I doubt they'll be a sport left..
    ..it will be a new sport of YouTube boxing

4. alpo1

alpo1 #TeamShanny Full Member

Dec 10, 2005
  5. I Shot JR

I Shot JR Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Khan/Benn is a nailed on PPV if it happens. Brook seems to be out of the picture now.

6. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    Firstly, excellent performance from Benn. Took Vargas apart there.

Secondly, I can't stand his personality nor the way him and Hearn bounce off each other. It's an absolute cringe fest, I think a bit of sick came up in my mouth listening to it. However, we have to remember that this isn't marketed to hardcore boxing fans. This is for the casual audience so in that respect Benn is making all the right noises.

Finally, most of the names he churned out where for the sole purpose of it being a PPV fight but at the same time a 'managed' risk and they would still be a step up so we can't knock him. He wants to challenge himself. Khan and Brook can be sold as PPV and they're both shot and beatable. Broner isn't a 147 and has a very low punch output so can be outworked. M.Garcia isn't a real 147 although Benn should stay away from him and Porter.

Anyway, not my bag personally but vastly improved.

kojak likes this.
  7. Bullseye

Bullseye New Member banned Full Member

Apr 8, 2021
    if his next fight is PPV it'll have to be with either the celebrity joke Amir Khan, Adrien Broner, Kell Brook, Shawn Porter, Danny Garcia..

or against Avanesyan or Josh Kelly .. on a very strong card, say for example on the card with Breidis vs Okolie.

8. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Amir Khan is a world class boxer but with a glass chin. I’m not sure Benn has the ability to reach that jaw though

EJC83 likes this.
  9. EJC83

EJC83 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 20, 2019
    Yeah, there's a little bit of Price v Allen about all of this for me, Khan can box, he's been in with many of the best and I still think he has it in him to frustrate Benn and catch him out.

Scissors likes this.
  10. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Benn on his way to live in Lootsville now Eh Day has found him a home.

They were all singing in the changing room:

We are on our way to Lootsville
    We shall not be moved

11. tee_birch

tee_birch Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 6, 2014
    I was on Twitter browsing the comments. The amount of people thanking Matchroom and saying he is now a PPV star makes me see there is no hope! They literally hang off every word Hearn says and will pay £20 a fight if he tells them too.

kojak, Surrix, Brixton Bomber and 2 others like this.
  12. BXNG101

BXNG101 Active Member Full Member

Jun 9, 2018
    It's mad how Hearn is pushing for Benn v Khan and completely disregarded the idea of Benn v Brook.

He's do everything he can not to give Brook a retirement send off fight.

They must have fallen out badly for Hearn to not really want any part of Khan Brook anymore and not really include Brook in his plans anymore.

I don't blame Eddie though at all. Think he has more love for someone like George Groves than Brook at the moment purely because of the way they behaved during the Crawford fight.

13. Peterp

Peterp Well-Known Member Full Member

May 1, 2006
    Conor has talent, but boy him and Eddie post fight are cringe cringe cringe

Khan won't want to be anyone's stepping stone

14. navigator

navigator "Billy Graham? He's my man." banned Full Member

Nov 5, 2017
    "Where it was"? The thread is full of people complaining that the standard of televised boxing has declined greatly over the last decade or so. This should tell you that we'd all be quite happy with boxing going "back to where it was" before Eddie Hearn won his exclusive contract with Sky's boxing arm—he convinced them of his worthiness with the utterly credible and satisfying Haye-Harrison PPV extravaganza, I suppose—i.e. imperfect, but a lot better than what we have now.

I appreciate it when a correspondent opens a lengthy missive with a patently absurd statement, however, because it serves as a notice that I needn't trouble myself with the rest of it.

"TKO" likes this.
  15. navigator

navigator "Billy Graham? He's my man." banned Full Member

Nov 5, 2017
    Some people are apparently just fine with Conor Benn declaring himself a PPV attraction on the back of a victory over the mighty Sammy Vargas. He's Tiny Tim's carer, you see, and Tiny Tim will die if BF24's band of Scrooges (led by the scowling penny-pincher @Jurgen) don't change their miserly ways and start stumping up.

Imagine being an apologist for the merda Hearn is serving up. :lol: