The myth of Canelo being "weighed drained" against Mayweather and other excuses debunked

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by MarkusFlorez99, Jul 18, 2021.

1. Loudon

Loudon VIP Member Full Member

Mar 7, 2012
    A few observations:

I don’t believe that had Canelo weighed in at 154, that the fight would have played out any differently.

I don’t think that he was drained. But it took the shine off of Floyd’s win, just because Floyd left it open for people to speculate.

Floyd obviously enforced the C-W in the HOPE that Canelo would struggle, which would have given him an advantage.

This was after Floyd had previously said that he didn’t care what Canelo rehydrated to, as in his opinion “skills pay the bills”

He’d also obviously fought Oscar at 154, and Canelo was a fellow 154 pound champ.

The C-W was a joke. And Canelo only accepted it as it was the only way of obtaining the fight.

Yes, he was a little green. It was too early for him to fight a guy of Floyd’s stature. Winning a vacant belt and another one in bouts against non elite fighters didn’t make him an established champion. He seemed completely overwhelmed by the occasion, and he showed Floyd far too much respect. He didn’t press him or put him under any pressure whatsoever. He seemed terrified of getting countered by Floyd’s speed.

Although he held a significant weight advantage over Floyd, Floyd is the same height with a longer reach. And unless Canelo had’ve pressed him and roughed him up at close range like how Maidana did, the weight advantage was actually a disadvantage, as it made him slower. The more weight he dehydrated, the more he rehydrated and the heavier he was. But the heavier he was, the slower he became. While ever Floyd could keep things as a boxing match, the greater the chance he had of winning.

It’s my opinion that Floyd wanted him to struggle making weight, before then being heavy and lethargic in the ring.

Floyd does deserve credit though, as he put in a master class at 36 years of age.

It should still be celebrated as a great win.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    splatter69 and MarkusFlorez99 like this.
  2. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    Floyd wouldn’t sign a contract for a fight at 154.

BCS8 likes this.
  3. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    He said that because he was desperate for the fight.

He said that because he knew that Floyd wouldn’t fight him at 154.

It was a joke that Floyd enforced the C-W during official negotiations.

BCS8 likes this.
  4. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    Catch-weights are generally made so that guys from different divisions can fight.

Not guys from the same divisions.

If Canelo hadn’t agreed the C-W, the fight wouldn’t have happened.

Floyd deserves credit for his performance, but also criticism for his unnecessary demands.

BCS8 likes this.
  5. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    Floyd would never have gone near the Canelo of today, even if they’d been close in weight.

6. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    Which made the C-W a complete joke.

7. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    Or like his Daddy beats his Mamma.

8. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    He won two belts from non elite fighters.

One of them was vacant.

Don’t build him up to have been this great champion.

He struggled with Trout.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  9. MarkusFlorez99

MarkusFlorez99 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 13, 2021
    Why not ? Hypothetically speaking if they were close in weight i don't see what Mayweather would fear. Canelo even now still struggles with slick mobile fighters like he always has in his career. Pfp Mayweather is simply levels above Saunders and he would just see everything Canelo is doing.

I am not a Canelo hater, im just being objective. Canelo now would be too big for Mayweather but like you said, if they were close in weight i see no other scenario besides a Mayweather schooling, Mayweather may have a few rocky moments i guess

10. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I'm pretty sure it did and Mayweather clearly stacked the deck here.

11. BCS8

Aug 21, 2012
    What excuses? Floyd beat a version of Canelo that he weight drained. That's a fact.

If the 2lb 'made no difference' as all the Floyders seem to insist, then Floyd was a dumbo in degrading the value of his win like that.

12. MarkusFlorez99

Jan 13, 2021
    "Pretty sure it did" ok but how ? Canelo was always around that weight in the weigh ins prior to this fight and we still haven't established how Canelo still rehydrated to almost super middle weight against Mayweather regardless.

It's simply just an excuse. Canelo was not weight drained and Canelo himself hasn't said any excuses (not that it would matter) He recognized that Mayweather was the better fighter on the night.

HolDat likes this.
  13. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    He doesn’t get credit for beating Oscar.

14. BCS8

Aug 21, 2012
    The same way you are pretty sure it didnt.

Yes he was. 152lb instead of the 154lb limit.

15. MarkusFlorez99

Jan 13, 2021
    Im asking YOU how it did. The reason i dont think it affected him is based on real evidence. The difference from that fight to his previous weigh ins before is 2 pounds at the MOST lol. Besides Canelo didn't looked weaker nor did he look drained on the night of the fight because he obviously rehydrated. He was just up against a stylistical nightmare and a great boxer which is why he lost.

Saying he was "drained therfore his performance was affected" is just an excuse that goes against the reality of things. Canelo has gotten a lot bigger since then but when he fought Mayweather he was smaller then obviously. He was not drained. There's no way around it