The New and Improved Boxing on TV thread!

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Wolf, Jul 9, 2011.

1. I Shot JR

I Shot JR Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Interesting to note that only 15k viewers watched Joshua/Povetkin on DAZN- and that’s with a free trial offer.

2. Snowy1989

Snowy1989 Active Member Full Member

Dec 22, 2015
    Whilst browsing through the general forum looking at the responses to the Canelo/DAZN deal, I couldn't help notice the terrific value American fans now get for the dollars- DAZN feat GBP and Matchroom for $9.99 a month in addition ESPN for $4.99 a month.

Eddie likes to remind UK fans How lucky we are to have PPV for £20. However in theory if one wanted to legitimately watch the majority of boxing in the Uk they'd be paying £25 a month sub for Sky plus at least 1 PPV every 3 months. Then throw in another £20 for BT with PPV's looking more likely in the near future.

Boxnation tested the model but suffered with poor marketing and promoting- Hopefully in the future there will be room for a DAZN model in the future as the decline for traditional sports services looks inevitable.

Juergen is right- at the minute the UK fans truly are mugs.

3. BluenoseBxingFan

BluenoseBxingFan Member Full Member

Mar 25, 2018
    Sky are a disgrace charging us £20 every PPV on top of subscription.

It'll go up every year as well. Joshua vs Whyte II will be £25 i reckon.

Jurgen, Fhaggis and rezzer like this.
  4. TBC-ASAP

TBC-ASAP Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 7, 2017
    It is greed and short sighted.

Boxing has to have a form of PPV, I have no issue with that. However when fights like Eubanks Jnr vs De Gale will be, it makes it unsustainable.

Even Dillian Whyte vs Parker, no belt on the line, and Whyte has never been in a world title scrap. Yet still being put on as a PPV.

At some point the 'causal fan base will get fed up and not bother.

Gatekeeper likes this.
  5. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    A man that has seen the light - wake up PPV mugs FFS

6. Trafford

Trafford Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 29, 2018
    I’ve heard that Sky are concerned about the DAZN deal long term. When they launch in the UK I would bet Sky launch a rival service like ESPN+

7. bladesman

bladesman Active Member Full Member

May 31, 2015
    Two totally different markets. One is a country of 300 million the other is 90. The sports markets are also completely different.

Boxing would be screwed if it wasn't attached to the machine that is Sky sports here. Look at how boxnation did.

8. I Shot JR

I Shot JR Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2012
    It’s going to start to grate on the UK audience if for example some Canelo fights are on PPV over here but are on DAZN in the States.

Long term I don’t see how the DAZN deal is sustainable at a $10 monthly fee given the massive figures bandied about lately.

9. channy

channy 4.7.33 banned Full Member

Feb 2, 2015
    LOL

Boxing would be screwed!!!

Did you get told that at the Matchbox HQ whilst fishing!!!

10. bladesman

bladesman Active Member Full Member

May 31, 2015
    So your saying boxnation was a runaway success then and there isn't a casual market in the UK?

Give your head a wobble.

11. Snowy1989

Snowy1989 Active Member Full Member

Dec 22, 2015
    The big difference between Boxnation and DAZN is the latter now operates in a changing market which prefers streaming services rather than the traditional subscription channel.

If DAZN linked up with Matchroom UK and operated a similar model I'd expect the numbers to be substantial, there's a decent casual market which will more than likely happily part with £10 a month.

The traditional PPV model is going into overdrive just let many predicted not long ago, there will be the inevitable crash. I hope we then get to get value for money rather than being fleeced at every oppurtunity.

Astaxanthin and Jurgen like this.
  12. moog

moog Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    American fans can get both DAZN and ESPN and all the different sports on them including boxing for a combined fee cheaper than what British boxing fans pay for Boxnation !

13. Astaxanthin

Astaxanthin Active Member Full Member

Dec 28, 2014
    The price of Sky is a joke, especially for someone such as myself who is only interested in boxing, for that reason I don't and never will subscribe to Sky. I really hope DAZN launch here and manage to show everything they are showing in the U.S, I will happily subscribe every month.

The problem is Eddie (Matchroom) has an exclusive deal with Sky (until 2025), so either Eddie leaves Sky after 2025 which is a big risk and the PPV platform is gone, or Eddie some how comes to an agreement with Sky and DAZN. Maybe Sky could have the TV rights to Matchroom shows and DAZN have the streaming rights, it works with TV programmes.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  14. pow

pow Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 26, 2014
    DAZN is coming.

Global takeover.

Let's say the get 50 million global monthly subscribers that's a £500million a month.

For comparison, Netflix have 120 million monthly subscribers.

This is the future of sports. Traditional media outlets are almost dead. Cannot remember the last time I bought a paper or tuned into the evening news.

15. tdf1974

tdf1974 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 9, 2013
    PPV killed the USA market ....They rinsed it and that is exactly what will happen in the UK