Darke and Woodhall would be a dreamy combo. I liked Glenn McCrory - he complemented Darke well back in the day.
Andy Clarke is decent and I like Barry Jones too, though I prefer having him and Steve Lilis in the studio.
That Ronald Skeletor guy on ITV is dreadful. He needs to realise he's not on radio anymore and less is more. His voice is annoying and he talks too much. Some of what he says is ok but I can't get past the voice.
Safe to say long term planning isn't a strength of whoever runs ITV sport. They knew the draw for this World Series could well produce a Groves vs Eubank semi-final. Here's what Sky or Boxnation would have done with that knowledge. A free to air fortnight, Eubank vs Yilidrim and Groves vs Cox the following week. Both fights available to the biggest possible audience, Eubank, fresh from Germany and ringside to climb into the ring after Groves vs Cox to challenge the winner, the biggest audience possible desperate to see the fight, and THEN strike with a huge, mega-sized PPV. What the money grasping suits at ITV have done instead is make sure this last two weeks have passed by with absolute minimum publicity or viewing figures, which will choke the numbers they could have done for Eubank vs Groves or even Cox if he causes some miracle, which would have been a genuine PPV attraction. Well done lads, you greedy, grasping cowboys.
ITV is really failing this time out with their latest attempt at covering boxing. Going all in on CEJ as a PPV fighter and putting on average fights like Groves vs Cox as PPV is a mistake. Cox is flat average and its not PPV worthy at all, he has not even fought a British title level opponent in his career. Groves blows him away. Even if all the money is in PPV on terrestrial TV it still makes business sense to wait for Groves VS CEJ to do it. It doesnt needs explaining why- its called making the fans excited for that fight who would otherwise never pay for a PPV.
Absolute waste what they've done. My casual mates don't even know Eubank and Groves are in action this month. If they'd stuck both fights on ITV free-to-air they'd have cleaned up on the semi-final.
Itv is not suited as a PPV platform it lacks both the sport coverage and thinking to make it work. As you mentioned above any logical thinking broadcaster would of forecasting the semi final and would of made the build up drag of for so much longer and used the two fights before as I way to sell it. They would of got my PPV buys I think from the 1 semi final than the 2 quarters + semi by the way they have done it
Dorticos Kurydashov, huck Usyk Perez briedes were all on and no one even knew about it .. now Eubank and now groves are on it's like aw it's the WBBS give us yer money
I don't think we should give Frank and Eddie any credit for something they didn't do. Ffs they didn't even win the rights, Hearn is a great salesman but I don't think his product is what its cracked up to be. Now AJ can sell PPV by himself his undercards are getting weaker every fight. Hearn said his Saturday fight nights were going to be ppv quality. From what I have seen online the reaction from Crolla Burns card was 99% negative, most people were glad it was over and hoped they did not have to see it again. I am betting they will and I think a 3rd installment might be on the cards. Eubank vs Yildirim was pretty much a success they have increased interest in the tournament 10 fold. Eubank went viral on Twitter and was on all the major papers from what I saw. I said this before the fact that a lot of people didn't know it was on has more to do with its promotion and marketing than it being PPV surely? They wouldn't have watched it anyway if they didn't know it was on? They need a kick up the ass in the promotion department for sure. I think Eubank vs Groves is a fight that should sell itself, they just need to make it visible and make sure that everyone knows its on!
4 brutal KO's in a row so far and only half way through the card, including Chris Eubank's son/brother getting laid out. Glass has been shattered.