the phenomenon of being fat and having good stamina in boxing.

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by bruce_keyes, Jun 10, 2019.

1. bruce_keyes

bruce_keyes Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Anyone care to explain how that works? Particularly in Ruiz's case... You would think someone burns tons of calories and fat when you are in training camp getting your cardio up... So what is Ruiz doing that's prohibiting him from leaning up??? Does he just pig out on burritos when he comes home after his gym sessions??? that's the only explanation I can think of....

LEE WHYTE and eltirado like this.
  2. Hanz Cholo

Hanz Cholo Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Yes it is easy to out eat your output for the day. Especially if your nutrition is not on point.

Badbot and eltirado like this.
  3. IsaL

IsaL VIP Member Full Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Likely

eltirado likes this.
  4. minemax

minemax Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 10, 2017
    I doubt guys like Ruiz do a lot of cardio... :smile: But their main problem is they need to eat a lot in order not to feel lethargic and completely out of energy.

UniversalPart and eltirado like this.
  5. lepinthehood

lepinthehood When I'm drinking you leave me well alone Full Member

Aug 27, 2011
    I don't think alot of overweight people are very unfit, but to be that big and be the hw champion of the world is amazing.

eltirado likes this.
  6. northpaw

northpaw Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 5, 2010
    He probably focuses solely on sparring and skips road work. IE.........James Toney, Toney never ran out of gas but he looked like he could only go 4 rounds before going into cardiac arrest.

boxer_toxer and eltirado like this.
  7. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Not an isolated case with Ruiz. Counter-intuitive but somewhat common. For instance, Chauncy Welliver always had a strong gas tank.

Jacko, Luis Fernando and eltirado like this.
  8. Hankey89

Hankey89 Member Full Member

Apr 9, 2016
    Boxing burns 800 calories an hour... Ruiz probably eats 5000 calories a day.

eltirado likes this.
  9. eltirado

eltirado Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 31, 2013
    Andy Ruiz ===> Mexican Style & American food
    This content is protected

Canelo ===> American style & Mexican food

10. thesmokingm

thesmokingm Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Nov 18, 2009
    :rolleyes: :duh

He's in better shape cardio wise than your typical middleweight. He's got 11 points wins all by UD.

Ironmanmt, minemax and CutThroatFade like this.
  11. boxer_toxer

boxer_toxer New Member Full Member

Sep 7, 2018
    He is a natural boxer. He is not there for modeling or fashion show. The man can box. He has skills, he doesn't care how he looks.
    In fact, he got weight in purpose so that AJ can't grab him to avoid his combinations, and it worked very well.
    The fat in your belly apparently has nothing to do with boxing.

Luis Fernando and surreal deal like this.
  12. Badbot

Badbot I Am An Actual Pro. Full Member

Apr 17, 2011
    Fat requires less oxygen than muscle.
    In boxing it's better to be fat than overly muscular.

12toneman and CutThroatFade like this.
  13. bruce_keyes

bruce_keyes Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 9, 2008
    I think you are missing my point. I never said he was a model. I'm asking why the fat isn't burning off from his intense training? Do you understand? I'm not making a case of questioning his physique, I'm asking why his fat isn't burning off if he's training so hard, and able to go 12 rounds and not get gassed. He must be eating 10,000 cals a day. Can't believe nobody has asked him this question

14. escudo

escudo Boxing Addict Full Member

May 13, 2014
    Honestly I think relaxation is the most important thing in terms of cardio. Keeping calm is key to not blowing out your gas tank. Look at James Toney. Burger King and cigars, but came on late in every fight because he was so relaxed. Controlling yourself and your emotions is key to keeping your heart rate down. For this reason sparring should really be the cornerstone of training.

Ruiz looked dead calm even after getting leveled be the uppercut/left hook. He never fought any harder than he wanted to. I think it's a big part of why his cardio held out.

Smokin Bert, alexland, JC40 and 2 others like this.
  15. Boxcel

Boxcel Member Full Member

Jan 31, 2019
    Likely pigs out on a high fat diet... like burritos. There is very little chance you will maintain weight in camp while eating a clean diet.