The pre-existing cut in Taylor's mouth: did it cost him the fight?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by sweet_scientist, Jun 30, 2007.

1. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 22, 2004

.............My honest opinion is that when Steele is on his deathbed, he'll admit to having a bit of a brainfart that night. I think he just felt the excitement and drama of a tense situation in which he had to make a decision, and he slipped. I really don't think there's any more to it than that.

2. la-califa

la-califa Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 12, 2007
    I think he will be satisfied that out there somewhere Meldrick Taylor is walking around and not in a nearly forgotten twenty year old grave someplace.

3. salsanchezfan

Aug 22, 2004

............Not sure I understand. Is this implying Steele has complicity in Taylor's condition? I can;t see that.

4. la-califa

la-califa Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 12, 2007
    A referee's job is the well being of a fighter. Taylor's eye's were blank. If Steele sent Taylor out again He could have gotten seriously injured. A little known fact. the referee of the Mancini-Kim fight killed himself not long after the bout... It's an on the spot judgement call which could mean life & death.

5. salsanchezfan

Aug 22, 2004

........Oh, you're saying his actions could have saved Taylor's life. Okay, fair enough.

6. quintonjacksonfan

quintonjacksonfan Active Member Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Duva telling him he had to win the 12th round cost him the fight

7. TBooze

TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Lou did his job, I think people forget, that even if that final belt rang Taylor would of only won a split decision.

8. Thread Stealer

Thread Stealer VIP Member Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    You can never tell with judges, especially in Vegas, however Duva getting on the ring apron is another story.

It seemed as if he distracted Taylor and that Taylor was looking at him while Steele was asking him questions.