The Road to Competition

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by JagOfTroy, Jun 16, 2014.

1. JagOfTroy

JagOfTroy Jag Full Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Caught my sparring partner tonight with a good inside counter uppercut. Ended up cutting him on his eye, kinda felt bad and totally know why they tell us to wear headgear or at the very least, put Vaseline on our face.

Lesson learned.

2. JagOfTroy

Jul 5, 2009
    Today was another reminder about how lonely it gets when your training for greatness. You give up the fun weekends of grilling outside and drinking alcohol, instead exchanging it for sweat and hard work cause you know those two components build dreams and the others do not.

I wish I could go to a training summer camp. :(

3. JagOfTroy

Jul 5, 2009
    Another ****ing day of training by myself..

Seriously.. other fighter flaked out and no response from any of the so-called "fighters". Can't wait for the next chance to see all this hard work pay off.

4. JagOfTroy

Jul 5, 2009
    Got to spar some today, feel rusty when no one is willing to do it but skills were still sharp just not dialed in. Hoping to make some visits to HIT squad in Granite City soon since I'm in need of finding sparring partners.

There's one local gym I've been invited to that 'used' to have a boxing coach but I know the coach, he comes to our training sessions now and he's a great guy but there is a cap to what he knows about boxing and the people they taught boxing couldn't punch their way through a wet paper bag. I stopped the person I was sparring with each time I went there, think one of them I practically walked down cause his punches had nothing on them and then feinted and caught him with a body shot that dropped him. In any case, I'm trying to get some sparring in there too if its just to be punching at something that punches back. The heavy bag is limited and what you train on it needs to be transitioned to a real/live setting.

Learned a lot about rhythms today in a fight. But I'll keep that one to myself. :good

5. JagOfTroy

Jul 5, 2009
    So ****ing excited! I may get to train with my first 'current' on-TV professional.
    Looking forward to the sparring, even if I get knocked down to the mat repeatedly.

On a side note, eating salsa after sparring is the worst idea ever. All the cuts on my lips burn like a muthafu.

6. JagOfTroy

Jul 5, 2009
    Feel like **** since vacation.. will never take a break like that again. All my ****ing joints and tendons hurt, my body's a wreck. Technique has improved so much that my body needs better conditioning in order to deal with the impact and force.

7. JagOfTroy

Jul 5, 2009
    Dealing with getting my body back on track. Fixing issues so I can get ready to start training again on Monday.

8. JagOfTroy

Jul 5, 2009
    Must have gotten faster cause I'm able to do things in combination I couldn't before but with precision, speed, power, and defense all at the same time. However, the heavy bag is always limited.

9. JagOfTroy

Jul 5, 2009
    Trying to fall into my rhythm better, working on the mental skills pre and during a fight. Felt good skill wise after sparring 7 rounds, conditioning needs to improve but I was off for over a week from visiting family and then having to detox off the stupid idea of believing in 'Hey, your on vacation. It's OK to drink. '

Nope, it sure wasn't.

10. JagOfTroy

Jul 5, 2009
    Taking today off to let my body heal up, trained one of the new guys yesterday that showed up. I feel like I just thumbed his nose or barely tapped it and it started bleeding out at the end of the drills, I just saw like a huge red splotch on his sleeve and then noticed his nose looked like it was gonna start dripping.

Come to find out, it had been broken several times in the past and it actually becomes weaker/more susceptible to nose bleeds in contrast to opinions I've heard before.

11. JagOfTroy

Jul 5, 2009
    Don't know what the hell the point of having a team is if no one participates. They just do it to make themselves look good, they don't really care about the sport or earning a better life through it.

12. JagOfTroy

Jul 5, 2009
    Massive lul in motivation the past two days, lots of confusion and aggravation going on. Plus this class sucks as it eats up a large chunk of the time I normally train, then the gym closes by 7 PM.
    Who the **** closes a gym by 7 PM on a weekday?!

13. JagOfTroy

Jul 5, 2009
    Still managed to drag my lazy ass to the other gym to spar with their local fighters. Most of them aren't specifically trained for boxing, a lot of them learn some stand-up for MMA and ground work from Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. That being said, I don't have much trouble sparring with them and basically getting a chance to work on whatever I want since my technique and speed is much stronger.

14. JagOfTroy

Jul 5, 2009
    Passed out early last night... slept from about 1-2am till 12 noon today.
    It had been a long grueling week on my sleep and body.
    Trained outside in the lovely 90 degree weather yesterday.
    Wasn't as bad as 98 over in the park with no shade last week, unintentionally worked on a tan during training before we collectively ran out of water.
    Learning new ways to sharpen my skill-set, getting prepared for an intense summer training camp experience next week.

15. JagOfTroy

Jul 5, 2009
    Oh yea.. forgot to mention that I had a meeting with a woman in the Female Boxing Hall of Fame(the one in Tijuana.) Was an interesting experience, we'll see if she decides to lend out pointers to our team or not.