The Siri That Beat Loma? How Good?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by POTUS, Mar 22, 2019.

1. POTUS

POTUS Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 26, 2016
    How Good??? ATG??????

Remember when Mikey Dropped Salido left right & center? It got comical at one point, I feel like Siri dropped Seven Times.

Loma couldn't dent Salido. What was the difference???

2. LeftRightDownThePipe

LeftRightDownThePipe Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Aug 14, 2018
    Very solid and experienced pro. Also one of the sleaziest and dirtiest boxers in the game. And he pulled out ALL the stops including over 50 low blows and missing weight by an obnoxious amount to scrape by a 1-0 Loma.

So that’s how good. Try a little harder dip****

sompong, escudo, PhillyPhan69 and 4 others like this.
  3. Ph33rknot

Ph33rknot Momento mori Full Member

Mar 5, 2012
    wasn't loma like 300 something

POTUS likes this.
  4. Scratchlin

Scratchlin Makhmudov Terrifies your favourite Heavweight banned Full Member

Mar 18, 2019
    @POTUS aren't you a Prince Patel and Amir Khan fan.. :lol:

And you're trying to have a sly dig at the p4p number 1 fighter in the sport lol

LeftRightDownThePipe likes this.
  5. Ph33rknot

Mar 5, 2012
    he said nothing about Usyk good sir

6. 22JM

22JM Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Stop lying the only reason they put Loma against Salido was because Loma was already heavily hype because of his amateur experience and they thought since Salido was already old and war torn Loma was going to easily beat the old warrior... boy they were wrong...

DomMufasa and Ph33rknot like this.
  7. bandeedo

bandeedo VIP Member Full Member

Feb 19, 2007
    loma was not experienced enough to deal with a pro who was very good at getting on the inside against other pros, and who fought by different rules. mikey already knew how to deal with those issues.

8. LeftRightDownThePipe

LeftRightDownThePipe Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Aug 14, 2018
    Haven’t you and the other usual suspects claimed on here that “Amateurs don’t mean ****!!”

Lol Can’t have it both ways. So don’t try because it will be called on and exposed. Every time. ;)

9. POTUS

POTUS Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 26, 2016
    There's better fighters than Loma & GGG with WAY less AM fights.

10. Babality

Babality KTFO!!!!!!! Full Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Good fighter. That's it. Very hard fighter for a guy who just turned pro. Of course Loma's background makes a difference but it's still amateur boxing.

11. pistal47

pistal47 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2007
    Experience, he beat him in the prefight chess match, but most of all -- ruthlessness. Ruthlessness is born out of necessity, as al things are first and foremost, and he knew he didn't have a shot in hell of going in there with Loma and outboxing him. To some, he "cheated," he totally more than blew off the weight limit, it honestly was probably more of a joke to him than an actual targeted weight to make, he used that weight advantage(like a smart person would) to it's maximum ability, and he never let it turn into a boxing match, he mauled Loma from the start, pushed the envelope to the fullest on what he could get away with and what would deduce points/disqualify him altogether, and fought like he always did and was born to: as a warrior.

The experience disparity between Pro's and AM's showed clearly and definitively between Mikey and Loma. I'll give Loma credit though, he seemed to have figured Salido out completely in the last round and a half/2 rounds, and had him badly hurt and was walking him down the entire final stanza, while being the significantly smaller man.

Mikey is a lot bigger than Loma, physically stronger, and has way more knowledge and experience with pro boxing and the ins and outs compared to Loma at that point in time. Salido was gonna be the smaller man against Mikey whether he made weight or blew it off, and was never gonna be able to body Mikey and maul him like he did against Loma. Also, their two totally opposite styles and skillsets had a significant impact in how the fights played out and at what differing points of the fight each fighter had their best moments against Salido. Mikey's skill, counterpunching, and skill in fighting off the back foot and being the matador played a big role early in Mikey's great start, and vice versa with Loma. The worrying thing to me, though it's probably a figment of my imagination and even if not, still a long time ago, was that the longer Salido-Garcia went on, the more I physically felt the tides turning in the fight like a tidal wave and I think Mikey was legitimately shook at the end and grateful for the stoppage, even though Salido barely landed anything. Conversely, as the Loma-Salido fight wore on, after the first 3-4 rounds of the fight, you could sense Loma, began slowly adjusting and figuring things out on the fly, to the point that he almost stopped Salido in the final round and dominated the last two rounds of the fight whereas Salido seemed like he through every cog into the machine he knew and was all out of answers at the end, but in true Salido fashion, win, lose, draw, get stopped, he was going out a warrior.

Slowhand, bandeedo and POTUS like this.
  12. Ph33rknot

Mar 5, 2012
    don't think i have personally said that its experience but not only that he had about 6 fights under pro rules that aren't couted

pistal47 and POTUS like this.
  13. pistal47

Jul 14, 2007
    The reasons for taking up boxing, competing in it for a long time at high levels, and then turning professional in said sport as a career or part of one are VERY different between The America's, UK and Ireland, and just the west in general compared to fighters from the former Soviet Blocc and their ideologies and goals tend to be noticeably different up to a point. In the west, you took up boxing so you could handle yourself better in fights, competed if you showed/possessed any talent or potential, poured everything into it, and then turned pro, ya for legacy and egotistical reasons but primarily out of necessity. let's be real, the greats from the west almost always NEEDED boxing to survive and put food on the table, most guys had little to no other options.

The only reason former Soviet nations are producing bluechip and unbelievable prospects like they were coming off an assembly line at the moment is because during the Cold War the Soviets wanted to take something the west had dominated from it's beginning and beat them at their own game and prove they could one up North America, Mexico, and the Emerald Isles at one thing we all were so rabid about. Like Ford entering F1 racing with the GT40 just for a season or two, so they could prove to Ferrari and the rest of the world they could build the better and faster track car if they wanted, because they felt sleighted by Ferrari and knew F1 meant SO much to the Italians and other Europeans. And Ford was successful. That delivers a MASSIVE moral victory to the winner and delivers quite a blow to the opposition and destabilizes things and creates doubt and fear.

It's always seemed to me like the Soviet guys fought primarily because it was their absolute passion and placed a way greater emphasis on the sports integrity, upholding it, and for it's purity above the chance to become a millionaire from it. And legacy seems more important to them as well because of those things. I think that's where the main disconnect lies between fans of western fighters and fans of Soviet fighters, I think it comes down to what you value personally the most, it's always been a "way out" in the west and a necessity to provide for your family and yourself, first and foremost. Even if you love the sport, if you do it that long and put that much in and at that level, you're mainly gonna be looking for a return on your MASSIVE and long investment plan. The Soviets just wanted to beat us at our own game, and they might of, but communist nations never fought professionally so it was a total backfire on their part but it was such a goal to strive for, for them, for so long, and they put so much into it, learning it inside and out, and more or less came away passionate fans and students of the game who did it for the love of the sport.

Neither is right or wrong BTW

escudo and bandeedo like this.
  14. pistal47

Jul 14, 2007
    Not to mention Lomachenko had been facing the world's elite -- and beating and dominating them most times for YEARS. But that's another major difference, Loma had competed all those years against the best amateur boxers in the world and ALWAYS beat them in BOXING matches. Professionally boxing is different, ya it's still technically a sport and boxing match but Loma went from fighting the best skilled guys in the world in his age and weight group to all of a sudden in his 2nd true pro fight realizing the biggest difference between the AM's and Pro's -- the Pro's are MUCH more of a fight than athletic event, competition, display of skill, or exhibition. It's a 100 REAL AF and the mofos you compete against aren't the most skilled guys usually, they're usually the toughest, grittiest, cagiest FIGHTERS in the world, and athletes second.

bandeedo and Ph33rknot like this.
  15. pistal47

Jul 14, 2007
    I undeniably favor fighters from The Americas and Emerald Isles over those from former Soviet nations, and shamelessly do so. I can't believe I'd ever even consider having one of my top 5 favorite fighters from a former Soviet country, let alone it actually happening with Lomachenko who barely makes my top 5 cut, I have him as my 5th favorite out of 5. But honestly, I don't think any other fighter from a former Soviet nation will ever come close to my favorite 5 outside of Loma, except for maybe Usyk -- to me the jury is still out on him in regards to him proving in-ring a lot of the things I value most in boxers. What's impressed me about Loma as opposed to pretty much any and every other former Soviet fighter, is that when push comes to shove, there's no cur in him, he's not backing down, running, quitting, trying to survive, or do anything other than dish out what he's receiving even worse than what he's receiving and he's trying to win and willing to take his lumps to do so and challenge himself against the best. Basically, he makes my cut because I think he has more than proven that he's a junkyard dawg at heart, and that's not something you can train for or get better at, you either are or you aren't. IMHO -- he is a stone cold warrior, and even though it was A LEGITIMATE LOSS, he proved more to me, showed me more, and made me more a fan of his in his one professional loss -- to Salido. I don't care if you're God himself, if you get into a scrap with Orlando Salido, he's gonna put you through the gut check of a lifetime, he's maybe the best human lie detector I've ever seen in the inherent way he tests guys and forces them to fight it out and go to war to the end to get past him. And in that fight, unlike so many EE or Central Asian boxers I've seen with worlds of potential, talent, and skill in the past, so far he's the SOLE ONE OF THEM that has shown and proven he's a dawg, and not through any nature/nurture dynamic, that's just inherently who he is, just like Salido, just like Mikey, just like Hagler and Marciano. IMO that's the singlemost and overlooked trait in boxers today, and IMO the most important for any boxer -- or person for that matter -- to have to truly be an elite and great FIGHTER.

bandeedo likes this.