The Sonata Of The Italian Dragon: The Improvisational Virtuosity Of Signore Calzaghe.

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by CST80, May 27, 2016.

1. Phelps-Brady

Phelps-Brady Slicker than Raspberry ripple banned Full Member

Aug 24, 2017
    I bow to thee

CST80 likes this.
  2. CST80

CST80 Liminal Space Autochthon Staff Member

Nov 23, 2013
    This deserves a bump, to counter the repulsive Calzaghe is a overrated hack thread.:ggg

Pimp C, Sugar 88, rorschach51 and 3 others like this.
  3. here2stay

here2stay Barxing banned Full Member

Mar 25, 2014
    Super Joe is The GOAT Super Middleweight. 46 men tried and 46 got humbled. Especially Hopkins :)

Haters will continue to hate this all time great.

:b1::banana:

CST80, mirkofilipovic and boranbkk like this.
  4. rorschach51

rorschach51 A Legend & A Gentleman Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Calzaghe whips Ward's ass.

Fashionista, here2stay and CST80 like this.
  5. Sugar 88

Sugar 88 The Empire Struck Back Full Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Whose it by? Please don't tell me that weirdo Herol. The guy is obsessed which is why I banned him.

6. Sugar 88

Feb 4, 2012
    And then gets a split decision despite landing a record amount of leather on Andre.

rorschach51 and CST80 like this.
  7. CST80

CST80 Liminal Space Autochthon Staff Member

Nov 23, 2013
    Nah, its Capt this time, another less deranged (relatively) Ward fanboy.

Sugar 88 likes this.
  8. Sugar 88

Feb 4, 2012
    Andre might be able to negate Joe's speed but he needs a very leninent ref to do a more successful Bika

rorschach51 and CST80 like this.
  9. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Just days after the man's birthday. :shakehead: The disrespect! And the man's too fattened up and brittle-handed in his middle age to do a proper Deontay Wilder style "hunt down the internet troll and bash him up" job. Where I come from that's called taking liberties.

10. Farmboxer

Farmboxer VIP Member Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Calzaghe was one of the very best, we don't see many fighters like him.............

11. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    No question marks? :nonono

:bump for a brilliant thread dissecting a forgotten ATG.

CST80 likes this.
  12. Liquorice

Liquorice Boxing Addict banned Full Member

May 13, 2018
    Watched the Reid fight yesterday, one his most competitive bouts.. had it 8-4 Calzaghe. Started off well, middle rounds Reid gave him food for thought, hard fought 11th round (great round in fact for both men!) & a clear 12th for Joe sealing it..

Wouldn't grumble at 7-5 tho., Reid couldn't miss with the right hand that night, interesting performance from Joe, a lower output from him & a fight in which he was mostly choosing to gun it out with Reid, set his feet more, less mobile.. when he was using footwork, lateral movement & working behind the jab he was boxing Reid's head off but Calzaghe had a tendency for machismon& it played into the strong, physical Reid's hands somewhat..

Most fighters seem to come across a guy who most view as a lesser fighter but somehow manage to push them so it's not a slur on Joe that he was pushed here.. especially considering Reid that night was juiced to high heaven & a dirty fker (tactically) too..

it was a bit similar to the Bhop fight (more of an enjoyable watch tho) I suppose, messy, made harder work than it should have been at points but always found a way to adjust & to win.

gollumsluvslave and CST80 like this.
  13. Rilz

Rilz Ball don't lie! Full Member

Aug 5, 2007
    All time great, greatest ever at 168. Also h2h at 175 he is no slouch either

CST80 likes this.
  14. KO KIDD

KO KIDD Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 5, 2009
    I was a huge calzaghe fan back in the day though I was very late to the dance as i didn't see him fight until he got on HBO outside of highlights of the lacy fight since I didn't have sho

I used to see his name on boxrec much like Sergio Martinez and think this guys got a great record but I've never seen him fight and he doesnt get much attention here.

The Kessler fight was amazing and he just took it to another level. I give him plenty of credit for Hopkins. Yes he was above his best weight and over 40 but he still had a solid run in front of him. I do think Taylor won both fights convincingly though hopkins had Taylor in more trouble down the stretch of the first fight than he ever had calzaghe in

What impressed me about the Hopkins win was how he handled Hopkins physical style and how he didnt back down. Bernard had a way of taking the play away from his opponents and forcing a fight on his terms. If Hopkins got rough inside so did joe. If Hopkins tied up joe pushed and punched. He did not let Hopkins spoil him. Not a pretty fight not a fun fight but he did what he had to

I remember having the bika fight on one of my vhs tapes of fights and it didn't get a lot of revisits

15. Liquorice

Liquorice Boxing Addict banned Full Member

May 13, 2018
    Hopkins was probably done at the weight against Taylor.

George Crowcroft and KO KIDD like this.