The subtle sadness in Ali’s greatest moment...

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by reznick, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    I still respect Muhammad Ali for his decision not to go. If he had gone to war, when he returned Jane Fonda would have called him a baby killer like she called thousands of soldiers. I do not like communism but maybe our then president should have gone to battle, we were not attacked, it was none of our business anyway. Remember what Lt. Callie did, burn down villages of innocent civilians.

2. JohnnyBriton

JohnnyBriton New Member Full Member

Jan 31, 2021
    I don’t think anything of this scene. People have their opinions and that’s good. Mine is Ali was a brash young man who just defeated who at the time was considered the baddest man on the planet. Of course Ali would would be outspoken. Louis had his time. Destroyed most of all he faced. Great champion and in the top 3 of any list you can think of. I don’t see disrespect at all. I see a youngster in the thrills of a great accomplishment.

JunlongXiFan and Salty Dog like this.
  3. HolDat

HolDat Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 25, 2020
    Rickey Henderson did the same when he passed Lou Brock for the all time stolen bases record in baseball. Rickey wasn't lying. Ali could've been talking about being the GOAT of that era or his own vision about his future success.

4. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Sep 16, 2012
    We never saw Ali's prime years

5. djanders

djanders Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 21, 2009
    There is a LOT of truth in that statement!

6. djanders

djanders Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 21, 2009
  7. Dempsey1238

Dempsey1238 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 10, 2005
    He did sign up for WW2. I think the Navy took him for a fitness expert.

Bokaj likes this.
  8. Jamal Perkins

Jamal Perkins Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 19, 2012
    I think that's a quite fair and accurate correction of what I said. Ali was just a kid...he'd waited all his life to be HW champ...and no question he would have had tremendous relief from the fear he experienced.....I think you're right it was Ali"s moment...and the TV guy should've been more tactful when to bring Joe Louis in for both their sakes.

A film on Joe. Long overdue....he was a tremendously beloved figure and its very sad the indignities he was put through post his boxing career.

2 legends!

9. Dempsey1238

Dempsey1238 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 10, 2005
    Yeah, it was kinda of chaotic post fight. The ring was crowded and all that. Still I think Louis was in a no win situation here. Still Perhaps Louis should of follow Marciano's lead and stay on the outerside of the ring and let Ali(Or Clay at the time) enjoy the moment.

Jamal Perkins likes this.
  10. FrankinDallas

FrankinDallas Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 24, 2004

His stated case was that going to war was against his religion. He's a Muslim. Tell me how that works, legally.

I'm no war lover; I was 1A in 1969 but got a high number in the draft lottery. Had I been drafted, I would have gone, reluctantly.
    Maybe I could have said I was Muslim; do you think I could then have avoided the draft?

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  11. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Ok.

I was thinking of WW!, which he didn't serve in, but I don't know the particulars as why he didn't.

Stevie G and Richard M Murrieta like this.
  12. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    I believe that during Muhammad Ali's appeal to the U. S Supreme Court, and eventually the gearing which Ali was vindicated by an 8-0 vote, justice Thurgood Marshall removed himself. Ali was vindicated because his rights were violated under the 3rd and 14th amendment, the draft board errored in hearing his claim as a conscientious objector. I do respect your decision to have to go but do you really believe what you would have been fighting for? Those people in Vietnam did not want us there, the president who escalated the conflict in 1964 did it for economical reasons as well as political. I do not like communism, but truthfully it was none of our affair. I served honorably for the full 6 years in the Air National Guard. I was discharged as a Sgt, in 1985. If our great nation was attacked, I would be proud to fight but we were not attacked. A total waste of precious human life. As for Ali, it was a blatant witch hunt. African Americans were to be seen and not heard.

JunlongXiFan and LoadedGlove like this.
  13. Stevie G

Stevie G Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Muhammad definitely displayed cojones in not going to Vietnam.

JunlongXiFan and LoadedGlove like this.
  14. Stevie G

Jul 17, 2009
    I recall reading somewhere that before he became an iconic figure,Jack was unpopular in some quarters for being a "World War 1 draft dodger"

15. Stevie G

Jul 17, 2009
    Thanks Richard. Your posts are pretty good too.