The subtle sadness in Ali’s greatest moment...

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by reznick, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Flash24

Flash24 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    I was about to do my research, But this is what I thought too.

Bokaj likes this.
  2. FrankinDallas

FrankinDallas Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Dempsey was given a formal draft dispensation by the Army for being the sole provider of his family. He wasn't a draft Dodger, although there was some dispute about where some of his earnings went, but his avoidance was legal.

Louis of course didn't go into battle but served in other capacities.

3. LoadedGlove

LoadedGlove Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 6, 2019
    Thanks Dallas. Everyday's a schoolday.

Flash24 and Richard M Murrieta like this.
  4. Jamal Perkins

Jamal Perkins Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 19, 2012
    Ever since the Ken Burns documentary im fascinated by the experience of draftees....what a tremendous psychological burden....ive seen an online draft calculator. ...it said I'd be called up in 1970 but if I was born 2 days earlier I'd not be called up.....wtf

5. FrankinDallas

Jul 24, 2004
    Yes, the 1971 draft lottery was the only lottery I ever won. I got number 251 and they grabbed the guys from 1 to around 85. I quit college which I was just screwing around anyway and went to visit relatives in Europe.

6. Entaowed

Entaowed Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Dec 16, 2012
    \

Yes, one time Ali was spouting off to a crowd about being The Greatest.
    Then he saw Joe Louis, called him up, put his arm around him & bellowed "We is the Greatest"!

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  7. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Did he have a family back then?

8. FrankinDallas

Jul 24, 2004
    Yes...wife, mother, father, brothers. No kids.

Bokaj likes this.
  9. Bokaj

Jan 4, 2008
    Ok.

10. Bokaj

Jan 4, 2008
    Wouldn't lose one iota of respect for Dempsey if he exagerrated how much he supported his family in order to escape the draft. That war was a glorified slaughter house.

JohnThomas1 likes this.
  11. Skins

Skins Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 20, 2011
    To be fair to Ali, Joe was literally at every fight in the 60's and 70's being introduced in the ring and soaking up the applause. I mean, like every fight. This was Ali's moment and it had nothing to do with Joe. Why should he share his stage with him? Joe picked him to get knocked out in the fight

Bokaj likes this.
  12. Dempsey1238

Dempsey1238 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 10, 2005
    WW1 IMO was really a war about a bunch of Kings and Princes using the common man to fight there own battles/arguments. What happen to Ferdinand was a tragedy. But was it worth setting the whole world in a war that cost millions of lives? I know the War was not the assassination of Ferdinand alone, War clouds and arguments between the nations were growing ete. It was the spark that set off the fire. I understand why say WW2 was fought, but WW1?

Bokaj likes this.
  13. fists of fury

fists of fury Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 25, 2006
    The respect between the two was real, for sure.
    I remember in the old VHS video 'The Joe Louis Story' Billy Conn related a story where Conn and Louis were sitting eating at a restaurant together and Ali walks in and notices them. (Conn called Ali 'Clay', by the way)
    Anyway, Ali walks over, leans over the table and says to Joe "Joe, you know I woulda whupped you in your prime."

Joe looks up with a somewhat disinterested look and says "Son, if you even dream about it, you should apologize."
    Conn adds to Ali "Stick that in your ear."
    Ali laughs, and says "Both you are crazy!"
    and walks out.

I can't guarantee that I remember the exchange word for word exactly, but it's close enough.
    It seemed like it was a light-hearted exchange between the three all said in fun. That's the way Conn told it.

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  14. Drew101

Drew101 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    The key point in Louis's commentary of the fight occurs after the first round, when he said words to the effect that "we haven't seen a round by a heavyweight like that in a long time...". He definitely knew what he was witnessing that evening.

15. Drew101

Drew101 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Good to see you around.