The term "Athletic" in the sport of Boxing

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Slyk, May 2, 2016.

1. Slyk

Slyk Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 5, 2010
    I've noticed it being thrown around a lot lately.

Anyone who can do a sport such as boxing for a living is "athletic". That being said, the usage of the word seems off. Let's take a look at someone like Bryant Jennings. Is he "athletic"? Compared to the average human, absolutely. Compared to the upper tier of heavyweights? Absolutely not. Jennings is what's known as a work horse. He grinds out wins with solid technique and solid attributes.

It seems athletic is a quality given to boxers who are underdogs to bolster their perceived chances. Charles Martin played another sport, yes. But by what stretch of the imagination is he athletic in the sport of boxing?

What do you think, ESB?

2. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Agility, speed and coordination/gracefulness of movement in general is what's supposed to meant by "athleticism" in a boxing contest.

3. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    ..and to a lesser extent strength & stamina.

4. lucky luke

lucky luke Well-Known Member Full Member

May 18, 2013
    I think that the term is vauge and more precise terms should be used instead.

Being agile and having good coordination (being athletic)is in it self not good for boxing if it doesn't translate into ability to slip punches and put together combinations with accuracy and speed.

Therefore I'd rather use the later to describe a boxer and the former more seem like a term to describe someone's who's fit.

5. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    RJJ is probably the benchmark for supreme athleticism in boxing.

6. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
  7. Slyk

Slyk Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Yes, and it's been grossly misused as of late.

Boxers more in the mold of Hopkins and less in the mold of RJJ are suddenly "athletic"

8. Reg

Reg Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 5, 2016
    I don't ever recall Martin being described as athletic.

Typically a fighter is athletic when they rely on their physical attributes more than their technical mastery of the sport. Yes, Bryant Jennings is a perfect example of this. You say he grinds out wins with his technical skill? In his fight with Ortiz his technique was put into perspective by the less athletic, but more technically sound Ortiz who held an apparent amateur background advantage over Jennings.

9. Richmondpete

Richmondpete Real fighters do road work Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    The definition of athletic does not change from one sport to another. It's strength, speed, quickness, durability, adaptability, stamina, etc. it's really just another way of saying the person has good physical genetics

10. Slavic Fighter

Slavic Fighter Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 13, 2016
    I'd say that a fighter who is "athletic" has some general qualities that would make him successful in many other sports too. It's either exceptional cardio, explosiveness, speed, reflexes, coordination, balance or a combination of these qualities.

11. Longhhorn71

Longhhorn71 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Ali was thought to a American football potential wide receiver. Sugar Rays (Robinson & Leonard) maybe a second base / shortstop combination.

Marciano actually was a baseball catcher.

12. Malph

Malph Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 31, 2007
    I remember as a kid watching a show where they pitted various athletes against each other in events like 100 yard dash, weight lifting, swimming, distance running....

What I remember about it most was Joe Frazier competing. He couldn't run well and he dam near drowned in the pool. Overall he looked very non athletic. Put him in a boxing ring though and it was a completely different story. His skills and conditioning in boxing are legendary.

Likewise, boxing history is loaded with guys who tried to move to boxing from some other sport like pro football. Anyone remember ed too tall Jones or mark Gastineau???

My point is boxing is kind of a martial art and the skills and conditioning needed for boxing are kind of unique. Generic athleticism is pretty overrated in boxing.

13. rayrobinson

rayrobinson Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 8, 2009
    Just seen Canelo kicking a ball around on 24 7 , looks like a right lump , get him in the ring and he is a monster.

Dirrell brothers can play all sports , yet aren't that good in the ring.

14. #1Rounder

#1Rounder Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 22, 2008
    I don't know the actual definition and many of you did mention some good information. But to me personally, I only call someone athletic when they are good at multiple sports and seem to be those guys that are good at anything they try.. I consider myself to be in that category. I've always been able to just try a new sport and be good at it, that is of course compared to other regular joes. I did play a sport in college, but that's the highest level I could reach..

15. Robney

Robney ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ Full Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Normally most boxers are athletic, but with combat sports a lot of it just comes down to what you can take and dish out.
    Definitely in the division of kings (heavyweight), being a juggernaut clearly trumps athletism. And even some of the ATG's were known to severly lack athletic ability, with Joe Frazier as the biggest example.